The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 10, 1999, 03:14 PM   #1
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

First up: Clipdraw.

A few weeks ago, I ordered a Clipdraw ( www.clipdraw.com ). Commander/Government size, black finish. Cost was $22.70 shipped via USPS. I sent a money order on a Friday, and had the Clipdraw in hand the following Wednesday.

Installation was completely painless: take off the right-side grip, place the Clipdraw, replace the grip. Unfortunately, the segment of the thing that does the clipping also blocks the front portion of the rear slide serrations. With a light recoil spring, this might not be a problem, but my 1911 has a 20# Wolff riding on a full-length guide rod. I was unable to get a good grip on the slide, hence racking the gun was a major chore.

I removed the Clipdraw and gave it to my dealer. 10 for service, 6 for execution.

Next up: Blade-Tech.

I ordered a belt holster in Concealex Stealth Black, and a mag pouch to match. When I placed the order through the web site ( www.blade-tech.com ), I specified COD delivery to my work address. After the order was confirmed, I emailed Tim Wegner, asking for notification of shipping, so I would have the money-order handy.

A week later, I got a call from the receiving dock, saying I had a COD package for somewhat more than the price I was quoted. No notification beforehand. The purchase price, including shipping, was $87.90. The final price, including the unquoted COD charge, was $94.90.

I asked the UPS guy to hold it for will-call. Finally got to the other side of town and picked up the package yesterday.

Well, I'm impressed by the product, if not the service. It took about 2 minutes of work with a Phillips screwdriver to adjust the holster and mag pouch. The holster vanishes under a long shirt, and the mag pouch is nigh invisible. Retention is amazing; I tried my damndest to shake the gun out (after unloading it, duh), and couldn't do it. Draw of the gun and mag is slicker than whale snot. The material is so light, I forgot I had it on my belt after about five minutes.

6 for service, 10 for execution (except for the little fishy thing that Tim puts on all his products, but I can deal with it ).

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper