The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 31, 2000, 12:36 PM   #1
mckysdad

Hi all-

I am sure this is a really naive question but here goes. I bought my Benelly M3 Super 90 pre ban in early 94, with a regular stock (i.e. no pistol grip). It came with an insert in the tubular magazine which limits the magazien capacity to 2 rounds (+ 1 in chamber). I shoot it at the range once every 4-5 months or so and so far I have not removed the insert. I have recently done some research and cannot find any law which limits me to 2 round mag capacity.

So my questions are:
- why is there an insert limiting capacity to 2 rounds in the mag?
- is it OK to take insert out?
- would it be different w/ a post ban shotgun?

Btw, does anyone know if I can shoot 3"magnum shells in my shotgun? I bought it in early 94.

Thanks in advance!
Old January 31, 2000, 01:16 PM   #2
Shok

mckysdad,

Most guns come with the insert for duck hunters. Most states limit you to three shells while duck hunting. One in the chamber and two in the mag.

Shok

[This message has been edited by Shok (edited January 31, 2000).]
Old January 31, 2000, 01:18 PM   #3
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

- why is there an insert limiting capacity to 2 rounds in the mag?

Hunting laws.

- is it OK to take insert out?

As long as you're not hunting without the insert, yes.

- would it be different w/ a post ban shotgun?

No.

Btw, does anyone know if I can shoot 3"magnum shells in my shotgun?

That depends on the gun itself. The manual will tell you if it will chamber 3" shells.

HTH.

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson
Old January 31, 2000, 05:45 PM   #4
NJW

Mckysdad,

I have the same model M3S90 and got a magazine plug with it also. First thing I did was to remove it and leave it in the box.
Hunting laws prohibit more than 3 shells in a SG at any one time. I think they give you one because if for some reason you needed a mag plug you would have a hard time finding one.
It also is OK to shoot 3" shells in the Super 90 series guns including the M3. Most guns are marked on the barrels with what can be fired in them.

NJW
Old January 31, 2000, 09:36 PM   #5
Ned Roundtree

When I bought my Beretta there was a disclosure in the box explaining about European hunting laws and why the plug was in there. Same reason as given earlier.
Old February 1, 2000, 12:40 AM   #6
mckysdad

Thanks everyone- now I feel really stupid. I've been going to the range with this silly insert for about 6 years now... Well, guess what I'll be doing this weekend? I hate to think about what the rangemaster has been saying about me for all these years...