The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 14, 2011, 04:13 PM   #1
s2thalayer

Remington 870 Build

I've never owned a shotgun, or fired one, but have a pretty good collection of rifles, so though im no where near new to the world of firearms, i have no idea what im doing with this shotgun. Originally the Saiga12 was all that was on my mind, but after some long thinking and price gouging, i've decided i really cant justify the buy.

One reason is because i plan on using this rifle mainly for fun at the range and such, but i also plan on using it for hunting and home defense.

After much thought and research, the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 caught my eye, and the 870 is on top as of now.

Since i never buy a firearm and use it as is out of the box, i was hoping i could get some ideas for mods i can do on this shotgun. Is there anything i should know about it as far as performance mods, or specific tweaks for my named uses?

Here is something along the lines of what i plan on doing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/impulse...n/photostream/

I know what the actual parts are, but i was wondering how they managed to get these on a 870. Does an 870 accept AR pistol grips?! Is there a specific version i need to buy of this to handle all the changes i want to make? Thanks.
Old July 14, 2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Contrary to net Myth, a bone stock pump shotgun right out of the box is an awesome weapon that does not limit the shooter. The shooter limits the shotgun.

Best advice I can give is to obtain a US made pump like an 870 or 500 and shoot the bejabbers out of it.

When the empty hulls figuratively reach your shins, and you've installed a nice set of wear marks on your shotgun, then you'll have a better idea of what you and your weapon need and what's just shotgun bling.

Don't get me wrong, my HD 870s have "stuff" on them, but they had a good round count before I reached for the catalogs or phone.

And, some accessories are counter productive. I've never seen nor used an adjustable stock that was as comfortable as the wooden version. If a shotgun makes someone uncomfortable, they shoot less and that's not good.

So, what you need to buy now is ammo.

HTH....
Old July 14, 2011, 05:14 PM   #3
s2thalayer

I get what you're saying, but i'll have to disagree on the stock statement. I never have been able to get into a fixed stock, all mine have either the Magpul PRS or a 6 position. I guess its just to each his own.

but as far as performance thanks for the info. im actually glad to hear i dont have to spend a lot of money on performance accessories like i would have had to on a Saiga.

However, i hear a lot of people comment about chokes. im not even sure what that is, but people act like theyre important. lmao.
Old July 14, 2011, 05:16 PM   #4
oneounceload

As Dave mentioned - adding doo-dads that look cool is one thing; having the gun work as intended is another

First - it ISN'T a rifle, it is a shotgun

Second - hunting and HD are two different scenarios - you might be better served by two mission-specific guns instead of a one-sized fits all compromise
Old July 14, 2011, 05:31 PM   #5
s2thalayer

Agreed.

I'll ditch the HD idea then, that was really just a "i could use it". i really have an AR pistol id probably use.
Old July 14, 2011, 06:22 PM   #6
zippy13

With you lack of experience, may I suggest you head out to a trap and skeet club and take an introductory shotgun lesson -- it will answers a lot of your questions. You'll make a much more astute selection after you get some trigger time with a variety of shotguns.
Old July 14, 2011, 06:46 PM   #7
pabuckslayer08

I agree to go and shoot a bunch and see what you like, Im not a 870 fan myself but if you were to get one I would recommend a Wingmaster model over any of them. They are built a little better than the basic ones are. Also are you set on a pump gun or are you open to semi guns as well. You can pick up a new CZ semi for around the same price and its a lot more gun for the money when compared. Either way though as far as add ons and aftermarket stuff on a shotgun your limited for your purposes. The only add ons are really beads and recoil pads unless you turn it over to a strictly HD gun which you said you didnt want so Id buy one and leave it as is
Old July 14, 2011, 06:53 PM   #8
rantingredneck

Quote:
Magpul PRS or a 6 position.
A 6 position stock on a .223/5.56 is one thing. My AR wears one........

I would not recommend one on a shotgun. 12 ga recoil is a very different animal than 5.56. That adjustable stock will tend to bite into the cheekbone and make shooting your shotgun less than fun. Even if you're used to running a six position stock on an AR10 pattern rifle in .308 or the like you're still talking about a gas-operated rifle that eats part of the recoil energy before it feeds the rest to you. With an 870 you eat all of it. It's best served on a solid dish.......

A good wood or solid synthetic stock properly fitted to the shooter is much better. I have 5 870's right now at Casa de RR. Of the 5, 2 wear synthetic stocks made by Speedfeed. One is the solid version, one is the version with shellholders. They both work, though if I were buying one I'd buy the solid one and a sidesaddle for spare ammo. The one I have with shellholders came on the gun that way and I haven't hated it enough yet to change it.

My other 3 870's wear wood stocks. One of those rides around in my truck as a get-me-the-h-e-doublehockeysticks-back-home gun. It's a 1970's era 2 3/4" only Wingmaster with an 18" barrel that was a police department trade in. I got it for 179.00, replaced the beat up wood stocks with nicer ones from my spares bin, and a supercell recoil pad, and installed a Marbles Tritium Bead for ~35.00. It works nicely as is without a bunch of fancy rails and flip up sights.

Of course, at the end of the day it's your money to spend and if you want to ninja up an 870 it's your prerogative, but you've received sage advice here from some of the shotgun guru's of this board (the fellows above me, not me!). I'd listen to them.....

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old July 14, 2011, 07:07 PM   #9
Helios

If you look around at your local gun shop or gun show you can pick up police trade in 870s for around $100 or so.

I have a 590A1 Mariner with three accessories: a sling, a light and a side saddle for additional shells. In my opinion, there isn't much to "build" on a shotgun unless you're maybe a competition shooter which I am not.
Old July 14, 2011, 07:23 PM   #10
bapfreak

There are all sorts of thing you can do to a Remmington 870 or Mossberg 500. But if you are going to mod it a lot you might as well buy a used one. As everyone said, both shotguns are fine out of the box. If you want to make it tactical (or tacticool depending on who you are talking to) then that is a different story. Just look at one of the custom made 870s by Wilson Combat:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/s_borderpatrol.htm

Wilson combat even has a deal where they take a beat up Remmington 870 and fix it up. It is something I have thought about doing.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/s_remingtion_steal.asp

Here is a before shot:

And an after shot:

Used 870s and 500s can be had for cheap, especially if found at a pawn shop (or other place where haggling is appropriate). If you are going to mod it, you might as well buy a cheap used one. FYI, newer 870s have a detent in the magazine which prevents a magazine extension from being installed (may or may not be important to you).
Old July 14, 2011, 07:28 PM   #11
Kestrel4k

I love my 870's and have gotten years of good, heavy use from my 20 ga, moreso since I finally got rid of the one Mossberg 500 I had.

However, I don't know what the heck kind of 'gun' that one linked to on Flickr is ...

The only customizing I've done to my 20 ga. 870 after 25 years of use is to get it set up for choke tubes. And now it's perfect.

Edit:
This pretty much sums it up:
Quote:
Best advice I can give is to obtain a US made pump like an 870 or 500 and shoot the bejabbers out of it.
:thumbsup:

Last edited by Kestrel4k; July 14, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old July 14, 2011, 08:02 PM   #12
s2thalayer

Thanks for the info on the 6 position and recoil issues. I honestly hadnt planned on a 6 position. Just used it as an example. Its likely ill pick one of the more advanced Magpul items, beef it up with a recoil pad also, and hopefully that would fix it. I do all my own gunsmithing, so it shouldnt be a problem.

Yes i looked into semis, pumps, and bolts. if i get a semi it would be the Saiga, which ive chosen again. and NO to bolts. haha. the pump came down the the keltec KSG and these two. The KSG isnt out yet, so its knocked out.

Let me specify, hunting would be a secondary need here. Just a "I think ill go with a shotgun today." My .308 is my primary hunting rifle. This would probably see mostly range use.
Old July 16, 2011, 11:44 PM   #13
"JJ"

You can trick it up or "tac" it up if you like! There are some add ons that are for looks more then function, but its your money, your gun and your decision. I have an 870 express bone stock, but my needs & wants differ from yours a bit. They do make a "AR15" style stock for a shotgun that will reduce the recoil some. There is also a thumb hole stock that may fit your liking that comes with a super cell recoil pad. It is the ShuShot stock. www.cheaperthandirt.com/55030-1.html That with a mag extension, a pistol grip forend, a heat shield for the barrel and a ammo rack for the reciever & you will have your 12ga pump"AR"! Good luck & post some pics!
Old July 16, 2011, 11:58 PM   #14
TheKlawMan

bapfreak, hello. The detents you describe are easily removed from the magazine tube of the 870 Express and while most models have them they do not all. I got the 870 security model from a Big 5 , a California chain, and it does not have those detents. Some drill them out, some use a dremel, others use a dremel and a drill, and others knock them out with socket wrench.

If you don't want to deal with the detents, I suggest picking up an 870 that came out of the factory with either a Remington 2 shot or 3 shot extension.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; July 17, 2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old July 17, 2011, 03:11 AM   #15
BIG P

There's nothing like the sound of a pump action in the dark to detour foolishness. GREAT HOME DEFENCE.