The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 22, 2013, 10:42 PM   #1
BudMan5

FOR THE ILLINOIS RESIDENTS:Concealed Carry is here

I have been working on concealed carry since 2007. I belong to

www.illinoiscarry.com

and Todd Vandermyde, the NRA lobbyist is a member there. Todd has written all the Bills for the last couple of years and he has written HB 997 introduced Rep Brandon Phelps and SB 1284 introduced by Senator Forby.

We have almost got this dfone. Illinois Carry was one of the plantiff's in Moore v madigan which is the lawsuit that resulted in the injunction against the State precvventing them from enforcing UUW unless they come up with a concealed carry Bill.

Speaker Mike Madigan is about to attempt something sneaky this coming Tuesday and we need all the help we can get. Please contact by email and phone both ypour State reps and State senators and tell them not to vote for any bad bills and that you only support the NRA approved bills. Please do this yourself and if at all possible, please copy and paste this note to every internet forum that you know of where illinois residents may read it.

The Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day (IGOLD) in March 6 in Springfield. We normally draw about 6,000 voters but this year we need to draw as many as possib;le. The IL legislature will be considering anti-gun Bills even more stringent than those passed in new York. Please make every effort to join us in our fight against the tyranical hold of the Chicago machine. We are winning but we need all possible help to finish the fight.

For those of you who have always thought there was no way to win, we have done it, we have won in the Courts now help us preserve our win.

"When asked by the cute televison reporter why he had shot a bank robber 6 times with his .45, the Texas Ranger replied, "because they don't make a .50"
Old February 22, 2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Mike38

Budman5, in your opinion, what will Illinois end up with for CCW? Shall Issue or May Issue? In my opinion, we will end up with a very strict May Issue. 50 to 100 people (that know others in high places) will get CCW permits, then for all practical purposes, it will close, and all others will be denied.

I’m not getting excited about it. Not one bit. Sure, I’ll apply, but I’m not holding my breath while waiting for a permit, because 99% will be denied. The anti gun Chicago Machine will see to it we remain defenseless, all while their taxpayer funded bodyguards carry MP5’s.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:10 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

Bud, please keep us posted, not just on what Madigan might be planning, but on what shape a carry bill may take.

Nice to have an insider on board!
Old February 23, 2013, 09:29 AM   #4
BudMan5

Both HB 997 and SB 1284 are "shall issue" bills with preemption sections. No City,town, village can 'opt out' of concealed carry.

we have enough votes to block any other bill in either House.

Don't sit back and watch, join us now, bring a friend and help us to get this domne.

Joining illinoisCarry is free and then you will be in the fight and help us make history instead of standing on the sidelines hoping that someone will do something

"When asked by the cute televison reporter why he had shot a bank robber 6 times with his .45, the Texas Ranger replied, "because they don't make a .50"
Old February 23, 2013, 10:08 AM   #5
zxcvbob

Notice if the legislature just ignores the court order (which seemed to be their strategy until last week) y'all get "constitutional carry" by default. Doesn't mean I would open carry alone in Chicago right away unless I just wanted to be murdered by the police.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:28 AM   #6
HarrySchell

To quote Glenn Meyer, Lisa Madigan has 7 days to indicate she is filing with SCOTUS and ask for a stay on the 180 day clock, which has been ticking.

She has to tip her hand by the end of next week. Glenn says Thursday.

I guess she won't go for it. The anti's will craft as intrusive and expensive a "shall issue" bill as they can.

Ignoring the court or may issue by township appear to be lousy options, with the same outcome of "constitutional carry".
Old February 23, 2013, 11:52 AM   #7
press1280

IMO she'll file for cert., and then there's a good chance she gets this stayed until SCOTUS' final ruling(in this case or Kachalsky or another case), no later than June 2014.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

I will buy lunch for anyone who open carries in Chicago.
Old February 23, 2013, 12:20 PM   #9
godot

Budman5, I haven't been to a demonstration since Vietnam and I have to use public transport and while the people downstate are great, I find the area a ZZZ. That being said count me in for March 6th.
Old February 23, 2013, 08:47 PM   #10
GregA

Not all Illinois reps are anti-2nd ammendment

I copied an email correspondence here with state rep re: another issue and conceal carry in Illinois...

Dear Neighbor:

Thank you for writing to advise me of your position on this issue that is vital to protecting our 2nd Amendment rights.

I certainly appreciate having received your input. I want you to know that I have been working on these issues for quite some time. You are correct when you say it is unacceptable for Illinois to be the only state without a conceal and carry law.

As for the proposed legislation, I have taken up the responsibility this session to be a sponsor of this bill and will support its passage. We need to ensure our citizens reasonable self-defense under the law. I support conceal and carry and will vote accordingly should the proposal come before the full House this session.

In regards to SB 1614, Thank you for writing to advise me of your position on this issue that is vital to the prosperity of our state.

I certainly appreciate having received your input. I want you to know that I will keep in mind your position on this issue should this or a similar proposal come before the full House for consideration in the future.

I look forward to hearing from you again with regard to this or any future legislative concern you may have.

Sincerely,

Barbara Wheeler

State Representative

64th District

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM, Barb Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: February 21, 2013, 12:13:54 PM CST
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: form submission from Greg A
Reply-To: FatCow Form Processor <[email protected]>

Dear Representative Wheeler;

I am a concerned voter. Two recent bills have captured my attention.

Please vote against Senate bill 1614. This is an attempt at censorship. Even the founders wrote newspaper articles and pamphlets expressing their views anonymously. Senator Silverstein is attempting to intimidate those who have a constitutional write to free speech. He is mistaken if he believes thought can be legislated.

Please vote for House bill 0997 - Family and Personal protection act. Again, gun control laws are nothing more than another attempt at disarming law abiding citizens. The bill as written is sound and will give law abiding citizens the means to defend themselves from criminals.

Sincerely,
Old February 23, 2013, 10:15 PM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I will buy lunch for anyone who open carries in Chicago
I wouldn't do that quite yet. While they might not have a law dictating carry, I guarantee they'll try to arrest and prosecute on some charge of disturbing the peace or whatnot.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:46 PM   #12
Southwest Chuck

Quote:
Quote:
I will buy lunch for anyone who open carries in Chicago
Quote:
I wouldn't do that quite yet. While they might not have a law dictating carry, I guarantee they'll try to arrest and prosecute on some charge of disturbing the peace or whatnot.
not to mention it might get quite costly come mid June....
Old February 26, 2013, 03:22 PM   #13
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

Update.

I'm undoubtedly stepping on the toes of several Illinois residents who are following this closer than I am.

Todd Vandermyde and Brandon Phelps have crafted HB0997 that is one beauty of a 'shall issue' bill for gun rights enthusiasts.

House Speaker Emperor Madigan promptly buried it in a subcommitte so he could put forth his 'may seldom issue' bill (1155) with unbelievable restrictions.

The game plan has changed for our side. Instead of just blocking it, they are trying to add amendments to Madigan's bill to essentially change it to what we want. This is happening right now.

Here's where I get confused. If Todd and Brandon are successful, can't Madigan simply not call it to a vote?
Old February 26, 2013, 03:38 PM   #14
JimDandy

Sure, he could. And then you get Constitutional Carry. They have to enact some form of Carry by Date XYZ or else. No matter what he puts up for vote/discussion/amendment, its apparent if all else said here was true- that the legistlators will remake it in the image of what they want. So he can put up nothing, and get con. carry, or he can pass what they want. Again, assuming all else is true.
Old February 26, 2013, 03:44 PM   #15
hermannr

May I suggest that there be some penalty for non-compliance in whatever bill is passed.

As in: License SHALL BE issued within 30 days or less... (if WA can do that so can you)... alomg with a fine for the governmental entity that does not allocate enough resources to accomplish this.

as also in: a hefty fine for Any local government that fails to remove an anti-gun restriction that is not in accord with pre-emption....FL does this...Looks good to me.

also, get rid of the FOID.
Old February 27, 2013, 06:11 PM   #16
Luger_carbine

Their FOID thing is weird, maybe I don't understand how it is controlled, but it certainly seems like it could quickly be turned into a prohibitively expensive scheme that acts as a prior restraint.

I'm always interested in Kwong v Bloomberg because I think its a lot more important than people give it credit for.

My analogy is there have to be a dozen different ways you can keep a car from running right? Flatten the tires, pull the spark plugs, take off the oil plug, remove the battery, take off the starter etc etc... I could go on. In order to stop a car from being used, you only have to be successfull at one of these methods.

The anti-gunners only have to figure out one way to stop people from purchasing or possessing, So the outright ban in Chicago and DC failed - it's not the only avenue open to them. Illinois's carrying outside the home failed? OK, it's not the only avenue open to them. They're already talking about a special surtax on ammunition and firearms, I think Cook County may have instituted this already?)

I don't think mandatory insurance has been tested yet - correct me if I'm wrong.

And then you've got these really expensive permitting or registration schemes - like Kwong.

I don't see why people in Illinois can't see that their FOID system can easily be turned into an obstacle to gun ownership by the government doing either or both of two things:

1) Underfunding the part of the Illinois State Police that process FOID applications.

2) Raise the FOID fee to a few hundred dollars and make it an annual fee.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:12 PM   #17
Sparky277

I believe judge posner also wrote that whatever the legislature passes must make sense. Not sure of the actual wording here. As I have been told by those who really study these rulings, the judge could refuse the new law as written and constitutional carry would be here.
Old February 28, 2013, 07:48 PM   #18
+1k ammo

Correct. The law cannot be so exclusive (for example 500.00 registration) that it puts out the common folk. That is not a fair law.

That would be like making your drivers license fee 500.00. That would be outrageous for most people. And by the way, your car can be (and has been) used as a weapon as well!

But for real, My understanding is that the Madigan's cannot put up their too restrictive laws, cause they will get shot down and then there will be constitutional carry with no rules! So, in the end I think it will work out to be a pretty good carry law.
Old February 28, 2013, 11:02 PM   #19
Luger_carbine

Quote:
As I have been told by those who really study these rulings, the judge could refuse the new law as written and constitutional carry would be here.
The judge is not part of the legislature, he doesn't give the thumbs up or thumbs down to new Illinois gun laws.

The court only looks at the cases before it.

Theoretically Illinois could pass more unconstitutional gun laws, and unless they were challenged - CA7 would never even see them.

It seems that the antis in Illinois are willing to gamble that shall issue, good cause and big administrative fees are going to be constitutional.

Illinois might adopt a law and see Kachalsky or Woolard eventually make their new law unconstitutional, but CA7 won't see it until someone challenges it.
Old March 1, 2013, 01:14 AM   #20
mack59

No may issue bill will pass.

There will be a shall issue bill.
Old March 1, 2013, 03:06 PM   #21
+1k ammo

Yes Mac59, I guess that is what I was trying to say!
Old March 1, 2013, 05:24 PM   #22
Dr Big Bird PhD

I know this is very selfish of me, but I wish that a Supreme Court regarding carry would make a ruling regarding open/concealed carry. My part of the country is still in the dark ages on the subject.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old March 1, 2013, 06:12 PM   #23
press1280

You're not alone-I have relatives in NJ. I think your odds of getting a CCW in LA are probably higher than NJ. Don't worry though a case will be before the high court before you know it!
Old March 5, 2013, 08:57 AM   #24
Luger_carbine

Aren't they actually voting on gun control this week?

I think I got an alert from NRA-ILA that they're proposing semi-auto bans?

Did the carry legislation get crowded out by the gun-control proposals?
Old March 5, 2013, 09:07 AM   #25
Willie Sutton

"My part of the country is still in the dark ages on the subject."

Advice?

The 14 north towards Lancaster.

Take the first exit after "A" at the northern edge of Lancaster: You are now in Kern County. If you get to Rosamond you are 5 miles too far north.

Buy the cheapest POS mobile home you can find and park a junk car next to it and register it there.

View with pride your new "residence". Go to Rosamind and enjoy dinner at "Si Senor Taco" (trust me here).

Apply for your CCW to the Kern County Sherriff.

Carry anyplace in CA your little heart desires.

Use your mobile home for weekends, and walk out into the desert and shoot just about anything you like.

The difference between CA and other places is that CA may as well be 30 different small states. Some are effectively shall-issue. Some are effectively "no-issue". Equal protection under the law anyone?

In NJ it's no-issue in disguise, in IL it's no-issue until June.

Willie