View Poll Results: Do you have a BUG out Bag
Yes 61 39.61%
No 26 16.88%
No, But I am going to put one together soon 46 29.87%
No, and you are paranoid for having one at all 21 13.64%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 14, 2005, 07:36 PM   #126
joab

Actually I see that you are actually trying to stay around this time, for some reason.

The problem is that your tolerance for your own ignorance is getting in the way. That's not an insult by the way, we all tend to do that occasionally.

If you truly want to find the reason that we feel the way we do try dialoging and not simply throwing out unsubstantiated claims and indefensible arguments.

Besides I can't put you on ignore, I'm waiting to see if you will address just one question
Here's one now
Quote:
What imminent emergency exactly are we not planning for?
It was asked in response to this post by you a while back

Quote:
Why would you prepare for something that has a extremely miniscule chance of happening, but not prepare for something that is several thousands times more likely to kill you?
Old August 14, 2005, 07:58 PM   #127
joab

OK where'd he go?

Somebody, besides me this time, just made me look real silly.
Old August 14, 2005, 08:03 PM   #128
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Joab-

Didn't mean to make you look silly, just hit a button in the moderator's panel and poof!

Denny
Old August 14, 2005, 08:18 PM   #129
swmike

The problem with a BOB is eventually it grows to the size where it is necessary to have a "Bug Out Truck" or even a "Bug Out Motorhome"

I have set my personal weight limit at 50#. Good Pack with the Boy Scout 10 essentials. Add some more food and a good .22 cal rifle. with a brick of ammo. Since I have my 9mm Carry piece at all times with 2 extra mags, it goes too.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old August 14, 2005, 09:28 PM   #130
MeekAndMild

With enough duct tape you don't need a bug out bag.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old August 14, 2005, 10:19 PM   #131
joab

So are you ready to answer the question or are you simply here to continue your ongoing mission to prove that children should be seen and not heard
Old August 14, 2005, 10:36 PM   #132
63Belair

here is another item that may or may not have been mentioned in this 6 page extravaganza!

magnet powered flashlight.

This is basic, science fair technology, and I bet you have all seen them at radioshack. You shake the flashlight, which has a magnet inside that charges a capacitor and lights up an LED. I bet there are non-led versions out there, but I was using one similar to this last night out in the woods.

shake light
Old August 14, 2005, 10:40 PM   #133
joab

63Belair
how did it work for you?
Is it worth the money?
A friend told me about these a couple of years ago, but I am very slow to jump into new technology.
Old August 14, 2005, 11:05 PM   #134
Bravo25

Quote:
The problem with a BOB is eventually it grows to the size where it is necessary to have a "Bug Out Truck" or even a "Bug Out Motorhome"

I have set my personal weight limit at 50#. Good Pack with the Boy Scout 10 essentials. Add some more food and a good .22 cal rifle. with a brick of ammo. Since I have my 9mm Carry piece at all times with 2 extra mags, it goes too.
Actually you are quite correct. That is why I have the trailer. All of the emergency kits, bags, firstaid, survival, and individual bags for my family are all going in there. I of course have one bag that I carry always that should see us through a 24 to 72 hour period. Or at least long enough to get to the trailer, and get it hooked up.

When faced with impossible overwhelming odds, prudance would dictate the only thing left is to figure out what is possible, and to do it.

Punishment for all crimes should increase until the recitivism rate approaches zero.
Old August 14, 2005, 11:19 PM   #135
Vitamin G

All i pack is ammo. I figure I can just start whacking all the people who made well-prepared bug-out bags

Just kidding

I'm in the "Not yet, but I'm making one soon" category. Just paid off all my tuition, and literally have $42 to my name until three fridays from now.
Old August 14, 2005, 11:27 PM   #136
Eghad

Quote:
If food ever got shut off they would just wring their hands and watch the squirrels and coons play in the backyard and wonder what to do
have not had a any grilled coon in a while....you made me hungry.

when I first moved to this part of Texas all the old timers called armidillos Hoover Hogs......lol

To be honest if the price of meat goes up any more.......I might have to break out the guns

NRA Life Member
Old August 14, 2005, 11:49 PM   #137
Rangefinder

Joab>> Those shake lights are a handy unit, it's the flashlight listed in my inventory. Not a spotlight by any means, but it allows enough light to see by in a pinch---and of course, no batteries to die at just the wrong time. I want to say the LED's have something like a 60,000 hour life, or something rediculous such figure. The one I bought I got in a truckstop for $10. It's waterproof, and practically indestructable. So yah, I'd say it's worth the money.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old August 15, 2005, 02:32 AM   #138
Seattle10

how about stuff like:

a tent
multi-gas stove
a sleeping bag
maps
the compass that you mentioned

....maybe try staying out in woods for a while. What you do and don't need becomes clear quickly.
Old August 15, 2005, 02:50 AM   #139
Rangefinder

I tend to think of a tent and bag as just basic camping gear, not survival gear. I can do without them. And a stove? That's lazy-boy camping gear. Not that I don't take a stove camping, I DO like the easy life out in the sticks (fire up the burner, put the coffee on, and scramble some eggs), but I keep my BoB as high-speed/low-drag as I can while trying to cover the essentials. Yes, I could do OK on a whole lot less, and be a lot more comfortable on a whole lot more. But what's the trade-off with either one? What I have now i can grab, sling on my back, and have a good chance where ever I am, coupled with what I normally carry all the time. And that's the thought behind it. If it comes right down to having to use it for what it is intended, I may not have time to do anything else. Every minute beyond what I need to sling a pack and move out is just a bonus.

Old August 15, 2005, 03:42 AM   #140
Seattle10

Stoves and tents are a regional/elevation thing. If you can't melt snow, you might have trouble getting water. All around it makes things easy... and i am talking about the minimalist backpacking stoves, less then a pound empty.

Maybe I'm just being lazy because my backcountry backpack is already packed. I can't see why I would need anything else to atleast keep myself alive for many days. I wouldn't substitute my tent for a tarp when shtf.

add one more thing to the list:

a pot
Old August 15, 2005, 04:13 AM   #141
Rangefinder

Seattle10>>I know what you're saying, and not arguing in the least. But I have Aluminium foil, and trioxin tablets that serve the same purpose and take less space where a stove requires bulky fuel bottles by comparison. If there's snow, I can melt it for water the same way, but even more compact. As for tents, the biggest factor I see there is protection from the elements. No matter where you are, there are ways to do that with what's provided for the most part. My tent and bag have a perminent place in the back seat of my truck because I'm known for the spur-of-the-moment camping trips. But my BoB is just that---a bag that I throw over the shoulder and if that's all I have I know I can make it, with what I've packed, with a good chance of survival for an unknown period of time.

A little "game" I played when I was younger was to go camping, then go again purposefully leaving a few things behind to see what I could do with the rest. Little by little I got down to almost nothing and whatever else I brought was almost luxury. From there I figured out what I needed, what I should probably have, what else I could include just for a little extra insurance, and what was just creature-comfort. That's also how I put my BoB together. I think it's a good excercise.

Old August 15, 2005, 05:40 AM   #142
joab

I have one of those little triox camp stoves. Doesn't get very hot but the fuel can be used as fire starter and the stove can be put in the fire
My mess kit is an individual unit that will fit in the cargo pocket of a pair of BDUs.
I have many first aid kits from shirt pocket sized to truck mounted
Same with flashlights.
Didn't realize that the magnetics were so cheap now
I've already mentioned my tent, weighs about as much as 2 ponchos
Right now all I have are water purification tabs but will look at a decent giardia effective filter.

I used to go to Vietnam every couple of years.
I would allow my uncle in law to use my checked bags to take things to the family so I was restricted to using what I could pack in a small backpack for up to 2 months.
We went to an island with no plumbing or electricity and what I would consider makeshift housing.
While no where near a life threatening situation I used that to hone down what I would used in a real emergency by adding some of the new technology that was not around when I was a kid. Although I didn't realize that I was doing it at the time
Batteries were the most missed when gone and the hardest to keep
Old August 15, 2005, 07:26 AM   #143
buzz_knox

Quote:
California may be safer than Tennessee from earthquakes, California has them frequently which may relieve the stresses and prevent the big one, but Tennessee and Missouri, when they go they go big, very big because of the lack of periodic stress relief.
Not only that, but the different geological structures in the region transmit energy better, making bad quakes worse.
Old August 15, 2005, 04:18 PM   #144
63Belair

joab

for 15 or so dollars, I am very pleased. Usually LED flashlights are more expensive than their conventional counterparts.

It is a bit of a trade off though (but this is for all LED lights)

pro:
Brighter, intense, white light

con:
less range than a conventional bulb flashlight, chew through batteries (not an issue here)

30 seconds of shaking gets a few minnutes (5-6) of light, and you can shake it whenever to charge it some more. There is no need for violent shaking either, simply turning it over and over works fine.

This style flashlight will not become dull with age either, because capacitors dont loose their ability to hold charge, unlike lithium ion batteries.

I highly reccomend this style of flashlight, because it is nice to have something independent of batteries, and it is also nice to have LED lighting, but for camping I would also reccomend carrying a traditional (read: maglite) flashlight for longer distances and knocking people out
Old August 15, 2005, 06:06 PM   #145
Topthis

Hmmm...I think I would add some Strippers, yeah! Blonde, Redheaded or Bald...don't care, just gotta make sure that if it is up to me to re-populate the Earth...my offspring sure ain't gonna look anything like woodland creatures, and of course they also could serve as a sleeping bag warmer upper...oh, and Chocodiles...love those things.
Old August 15, 2005, 06:18 PM   #146
joab

The local boat supply store has some of these lights I'll have to check them out over the weekend
Old August 16, 2005, 12:55 PM   #147
UltimaThule

HighValleyRanch
Quote:
Can I order direct, or are there any sources here in the USA?
You asked Mikkel about the Jerven Fjellduken poncho-shelter-survival blanket, I didn't see an answer. I just waded through this thread. Good thread, but I can see why he might have lost interest - and I read it after some of the posts were deleted...

Anyway, I hope Mikkel won't mind if I answer the question for him. Jerven only lists Scandinavian retailers on their website.

I suggest you send them an e-mail at [email protected] - just write them in English, they should have no problem understanding you.

I have two of the Jerven bags myself, one unlined and one large, lined one. Now that I have "discovered" them, I would not want to be without one ever again, whether it's for hunting, hiking, military "camping trips", or any kind of survival situation.
Old August 16, 2005, 06:35 PM   #148
HighValleyRanch

Thanks UltimaThule,
I got your PM as well.
Will send them an email.

At least some "useful" information is coming out of the thread.

Those that are not prepared, can only whine about it when they are hungry, cold and wet!
Old August 16, 2005, 06:41 PM   #149
308Enfield

I actually have 2, a big one at home and a small one that stays in the car. The big one has clothes, a good camp knife, and a big 3 day survival kit that includes food, water, radio, flashlight, thermal blanket, first aid kit, etc. I also have a weapon ready to pick up and take with me.

The car kit is a smaller one that has a small 3 day survival kit (it was too good a deal to pass up at the gun store) and a big military first aid kit that I've always kept in the car in case I come across an accident. I also always have a coat in the car when the weather is cold.
Old August 16, 2005, 07:04 PM   #150
axslingerW

I don't have a bag as such,but I always have a first aid kit, blankets and a couple of spare coats for roadside emergencies. After reading this I will probably throw a small bag together. I do live in a tornado prone state, and it would be good to have a 3 day supply of food/water etc.

edited 'cause I can't spell.