The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Did you ever draw your weapon?
Yes 204 47.33%
No 227 52.67%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 27, 2009, 04:07 PM   #176
Semper Paratus

Yep Twice...Once like Playboy Penguin a pinch play in New Orleans about 1985. No cell phones...Dropped a dime and called the cops and got asked why I didn't shoot the (ethnic slur)?

The next time walking the dog in the early Am (0530) charged by a Doberman Bitch that when I blew up real big and turned on my big voice that I was not a good candidate for chewing. Called the Cops and I got asked to disarm and a lecture about my duty to retreat...I asked the cop how do you effectively retreat from something that appears 30 yards away and can run better than twice as fast. He gave up on that line of lecture. WHen he asked why I was reluctant to disarm I asked him if the dog was confined yet ....his reply was no but I have a gun. I told him I don't know how well he shoots but I know how well I shoot....I complied with his wishes and disarmed.

Ironically I ended up shooting at the range same time he did some time later.....glad he did not have to defend me....
Old December 27, 2009, 04:28 PM   #177
Firepower!

@Semper, good post.
Old December 27, 2009, 06:47 PM   #178
Mike in VA

I don't know if this qualifies, but I regularly answer the door with gun in hand or waistband after dark.

There have been a few occasions in the car whe I wasn't carrying on body when things just didn't seem right when I got the H&K out of the console and put it under my thigh 'just in case'. So far, so good, no problems, but as an old Boy Scout, I do believe in "Be prepared".

Gracias, Deo.
Old January 2, 2010, 08:15 AM   #179
igor

Twice due to a malfunctioning home alarm system. The first time the dog was there to clear first floor for me, the second time I waited until the response unit had checked the outside surfaces. Eventually the bad contact was found and fixed too.
Good karateka I have known were intelligent, original, capable, unpredictable, aggressive, brave, and dangerous. Most had a dark side. Daily practice for decades at hurting other people does not make liberals.

John Farnam quoting a friend, Feb. 2004
Old January 31, 2010, 03:08 PM   #180
FreakGasolineFight

Wow, there's some scary stuff here.

Definitely going to get my CCW asap. Just ordered my holster.

Props to anyone who saved their own life or someone else's through judicious use of their firearm.
Old January 31, 2010, 03:22 PM   #181
1911rocks

Yes, many times. Remember, the correct place for a Handgun is in your hand, you can always holster it and you don't have to.
Old February 3, 2010, 11:31 PM   #182
XD Gunner

Quote:
I got asked to disarm and a lecture about my duty to retreat...
In Virginia you have "the duty to retreat"?

I've drawn my weapon twice. Once was non-human. I've never fired my Carry on another living thing.

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton

Last edited by XD Gunner; February 4, 2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old February 4, 2010, 08:08 AM   #183
dondavis3

Law or not - I agree with the "the duty to retreat" gang.

But I also agree that I'd draw fairly quickly until I decided what the threat was.

I've never had to draw, but have put my hand on my gun several times when I ended up not drawing.

Just my .02

Old February 19, 2010, 11:00 PM   #184
Bloodbought1

Once.
I got a call my business alarm was activated. Dressed and went to check it out with my Glock 27 drawn. Didn't find anything out of order after clearing the building and grounds. Glad it was a false alarm for sure.
Old February 21, 2010, 10:29 AM   #185
smithandwessonblazer

For no apparent reason a crazed drughead followed my brothers and myself into an empty parking lot where he proceded to circle our truck while staring at us. He stopped to open the door and I drew my Glock out of the console. He immediately jumped back in his car and was never seen again.
Old February 23, 2010, 11:35 AM   #186
hardluk1

Never pulled my gun as a defence piece in the 26 years i have carried.
Old February 23, 2010, 11:51 AM   #187
Shawn Dodson

During my LEO days, more times than I can count during felony stops, K9 pursuits, and when responding/reacting to violent crimes in progress.

As a private citizen in public - never.

Home defense - I armed myself a handful of times when investigating suspicious/unusual noises and late night knocks at the door.
Old February 23, 2010, 05:38 PM   #188
Don P

At every IDPA match when the timer goes BEEP
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 5, 2010, 01:59 PM   #189
LordTio3

Once- and I don't really know what to think about it

About a year after I got my CC permit, I was comming home from work at about 4:30 on a Thursday. I live in a college town and there are no shortages of vandalism or intoxicated "young adults" with nothing better to do than start trouble. I have more than one friend who has had their homes broken into; some in my own complex.

On my way to my particular stairwell, I happened to see my blinds moving in my second story window. I know my wife isn't home as she is in class and her car is not in the usual spot.

I continue through the exterior door of my complex and start up the stairs to my apartment landing and I hear my dog barking like CRAZY (he's all of 10 lbs and we crate him when we're not home). I hurry up the stairs and see my door unlocked and open a few inches. It doesn't look forced, but I shut and lock my door EVERY time I come or go without fail.

I unzip my coat and retrieve my Glock 19 from 4:00, push open the door and take cover in the doorway while training down my long entry-hall. I yelled for anyone that was inside to "Come out now" and that "I'm calling the police".

Then our apartment maintenance worker walks around the corner of my living room and goes ghost pale before explaining to me that he needed to come up to check the fuse box. I reminded him that he was supposed to make an appointment for that, and leave a note on the door explaining that he was in my apartment or that he had previously been.
He quickly appologized and left.

A quick check of our valuables and a complaint with the management ensured proper protocol next time.

...should have called the police from the hallway before entering. 20/20 hindsight.

Tags
self defense