The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2011, 07:21 PM   #1
Crankgrinder

load data figures

some of my data lists "pressure factor" in the form of a decimal ".9353" and so on which can be used to determine aprox. pressures for reduced loads assuming the pressures listed are for the maximum safe loads in each table. can these"pressure factors" or "velocity factors" as some have called it be determined for loads that do not list such? and if so how?
Old August 18, 2011, 10:46 AM   #2
WIL TERRY

WHAT load data shows this ??
Old August 18, 2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

The 1 grain velocity/pressure factor is Richard Lee's concept, and he gives it in his book (at least, it's in the 2nd edition) for which he had the opportunity to measure it for some bullet and chambering and powder combinations. Obviously he didn't have the opportunity to do it for everything.

I don't know any other source of that number. You may be able to deduce it from published pressure and velocity data. I haven't paid close enough attention to it to try. I use QuickLOAD and a chronograph to get a good match between it and my components, then let it predict the pressures for load changes. Usually works pretty well.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle