The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 21, 2002, 02:45 PM   #1
nashgill

Shotgun Training

Hi,
I am new to shotgunning and am about to purchase my first. I am in the Northern Virginia area, does anyone have any recommendations for training/instruction? I will be focusing on hunting, not self defense.

Thanks.
nashgill
Old August 21, 2002, 03:47 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A Hunter Safety course, even if not mandatory, gives lots of good input.

Any of the clay games will help you, and a few lessons from a qualified instrustor are priceless.

Also, break out that well worn library card and look under Dewey Decimal System # 799 for books on shooting and hunting.

Also, I can occasionally be found shooting slightly north of the Potomac, try to catch up with me at PGC shooting Center in PG county and I'll run you through a basic course. Time's precious, but I'll try to spare a few hours. PM me and maybe we can set up something.

And get yourself an 870(HG)....
Old August 21, 2002, 08:19 PM   #3
nashgill

Dave,
Thanks for the info, do you (or anyone else) have any books or videos to recommend? I really appreciate your offer, I will probably PM you tomorrow when I firm up my schedule for the weekend. I have never heard of the shooting center there, is that the Prince Georges County Trap and Skeet Center:

http://www.shotguninstructor.com/pg_page.html

I picked up my 870 this evening. Dick's Sporting Goods had a special run of this stock:

What is an 870 (HG)?
Thanks.
nashgill
Old August 21, 2002, 08:38 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

nashgill - The Bull Run Shooting Center has basic and advanced instruction at the center. You can call 703-830-2344 to schedule a session. A group of TFL'ers are going to schedule a session there soon. Let us know if you're interested in joining us.

I am basically in the same boat you are. I've shot handguns and rifles practically all my life, but only started on shotguns this year. What is the group below novice? You'll find me in that group. I'm convinced that if you shoot rifles well, you need to have a lobotomy in order to take up shotgunning since they are so different.
Old August 21, 2002, 08:49 PM   #5
nashgill

Hey, I was checking out their website earlier today and was going to call but figured I would check here first. I appreciate the tip! Can you keep me informed of your plans? I would be interested in getting in there sooner rather than later. I got the bug now! I would definitely be interested. I also have been pistol and rifle shooting for some time, just never a shotgun. Don't know enough to even shame myself at a range, so wanted some instruction. Thanks for the info!

nashgill