The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 31, 2011, 08:37 PM   #1
Romeo 33 Delta

Myths vs reality ...

I have some old IMR-4227 (8# metal can) and also some newer H-4227 and wonder about switching over to H-4227 when I'm out of the IMR. So the question would be ... what, if any, interchangeability would there be between the two powders? I realize they do not have the same burn rates and aren't exactly alike, but I had to ask.

I started with IMR years ago the then drifted into H-4227 for some loads but wonder what to do about my IMR loads when I can't find it anymore.

Nice, easy solutions are always so convenient ... but rarely exist ... or do they?
Old March 31, 2011, 09:04 PM   #2
mc223

Easy it never is. Well sometimes.

In my opinion you really need to work your loads up with the different powder.

Lot to lot variations are enough to be an issue. But old and who knows who made the stuff. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Hodgdon. I am not totally sure that Hodgdon makes the H4227.

I'm sure that someone who knows will chime in with the rest of the story.

o

0° 5150
Old March 31, 2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Wag

You're most likely going to have to work up your loads again. It's going to be the same powder for the most part but the new powder is going to burn just a tad differently.

This is especially true if you're using max loads.

--Wag--
Old March 31, 2011, 11:43 PM   #4
ipscchef

Two more cents, Hey, I'm running out of pennies!

This is just the little bit of info that I know that I hope will help.
Hodgdens has never actualy made any powder themselves, they buy powders from other companies that actualy make it. One example is the H-110 that they sell is really WW296, which I think is really made by a Winchester plant. Before I go on, I want to be very clear on this, I AM NOT ANY KIND OF AN EXPERT, WHAT I AM SAYING ARE THINGS THAT I BELIEVE TO BE TRUE, BUT I CANNOT VERIFY ANY OF THIS. Having said that, I believe that you can verify what I am saying relatively easily by calling Hodgdons.
I went back to my oldest Hodgdens manual, 2006, and they list no loads for
H4227. But I have spoken with the fine people at Hodgdens a few times, and they will most likely be happy to give you all of the advice that you need on your loads. They do own the rights, I think that is the proper term, to all IMR powders, as well as most if not all of the Winchester line. Again, contact them by phone or email, and I think that they will be able to help you. I hope that this may be of some help.
Bill "Willy" Henderson

BTW, A big +1 for mc223, especialy when dealing with older powders, not only can lot to lot variations make a signifegant difference, when you are talking about a decade or more even in the same powder, there can be a large varient, Blue Dot and Unique are two examples that come to mind. I would suggest that you have the lot # of your H4227 on hand when you talk to Hoddgdons, they may give you some signifigantly different load info for that based on its production year.

Last edited by ipscchef; March 31, 2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Addendum
Old April 1, 2011, 01:13 AM   #5
Ideal Tool

Hello, Romeo 33 Delta. I don't want to shock you...But..there is no more
H4227..When Hodgdon took over IMR, they dropped this one! I too like the H4227..when I heard about the merger, I stocked up on all the H4227 I could find. Now here is the interesting part..I had called Hodgdon to ask if they had quantities of this left for possible purchase, I explaned that it shot better in my Hornet than the IMR brand. The technician told me that they too had found their brand shot better than the IMR (of course?), but the new powder will be packaged under the IMR label....BUT it will be H4227!
Now I don't have any of the new IMR 4227, but it sure would be interesting if someone with some acccurate rifles, and possibly a chronograph could do some comparision testing between these powders!
Old April 1, 2011, 11:07 PM   #6
Romeo 33 Delta

It just gets curiouser and curiouser, doesn't it?

Thanks guys ... didn't think it would be easy. The good news is that by the time I need to find replacements for either or both ... there will probably be something totally new to replace them ... or the names will be changed ... just to confuse me even more. Yikes!!!:barf: