The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 13, 2001, 10:32 AM   #1
Rosco Benson

The first time Mark Waldon and I ever crossed cyber-paths was way back when Mark was pulling moderator duty on Gunspot’s holster forum. A forum participant asked about the various makers’ versions of the justly famous Bruce Nelson #1 Professional. I responded to this fellow and listed the various makers of whom I was aware who made a version of this classic holster. I think I listed about all of them…except for Mark Waldon. It wasn’t meant as a slight or insult, but it sure looked like one. Mark, being the gentleman that he is, pointed this out to me…gently. Mortified by my unintentional rudeness, I pleaded ignorance (something I’ve done more than I care to remember) and resolved to familiarize myself with Mark’s line of leather goods and, whenever I could, to give his wares a try. Although I most often shoot 1911 pattern pistols, I like to stay current on most commonly encountered autopistol and revolver types. I had a Glock 19 that was in need of a holster and magazine pouch, so I looked to Mark to fill those needs.

Lately, I’ve been using one of Mark’s Rattler belt slide holsters, his WHC-1 magazine pouch, and matching ,1.25" wide companion belt. This is an impressive rig. Illustrations may be found at Mark’s website ( http://www.waldonholsters.com ). The Rattler is belt slide which carries the pistol at about a 15 degree FBI cant. The Rattler’s belt slots are widely spaced, contributing to excellent stability on the belt and the ability to work around ill-placed trouser belt loops. The holster features proper clearance, so as to permit a full firing grip to be taken on initial hand-to-gun contact. The holster is constructed of thin, dense cowhide and has been boned to conform to the pistol’s contours. It is fast and secure.

The WHC-1 mag pouch is a winged design that complements the Rattler holster quite well. I am normally not a fan of "winged" magazine pouches, preferring the more compact fold-over belt loop. However, the widely-spaced belt slots of the WHC-1 help when trying to position the pouch around badly placed trouser belt loops.

The Companion belt is a straight-cut trouser belt with extremely good edge-to-edge rigidity. In fact, it was so rigid, I asked Mark if he had sandwiched some sort of stiffener between the cowhide layers. Mark told me that there isn’t anything sandwiched in there. The belt’s rigidity just comes from quality materials and careful execution. The Companion belt is offered in 1.25", 1.5", and 1.75" widths. The 1.25" width I specified is low-key and looks like a quality dress belt.

The holster, magazine pouch, and belt all exhibit excellent workmanship. The stitching is straight and tight, the edges are nicely finished, and the finish is deep and lustrous. I chose basic black, but Mark offers brown and tan as well. No dye bled or rubbed onto my clothing.

Mark includes a small printed sheet, with comprehensive care and cleaning instructions. A nice touch! Too many quality holsters have been ruined by well-meaning owners oiling or otherwise abusing them.

As mentioned earlier, Mark crafted my gear in high quality cowhide. Mark also works in horsehide. For a time Mark was considering dropping horsehide as a choice, as hides that met his strict and exacting standards were tough to obtain. However, Mark has found a source that meets his standards and is continuing to offer horsehide as an option. Another interesting material that Mark is working with is buffalo hide. Yes, you heard right…buffalo hide…as in those great wooly beasts that once roamed the plains in vast herds. Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but I can tell you that the articles made of buffalo hide are much prettier than the animal on-the-hoof. Mark splits down the hide so that it is only very slightly thicker than the cowhide he normally uses. The resulting leather has a beautiful grain and is tough and practically scratch-proof. Neat stuff!

Mark’s background in law enforcement and as a IDPA competitor is evident in his practical and well thought out designs. He offers both open-topped holsters and, for those who require or prefer them, thumb-break rigs. A shooter knows what a shooter needs.

A couple decades ago, one could count the good holster makers on one hand and have a couple fingers left over. Today’s shooter has a dizzying array of holster makers in the "good" category to choose from and an ever growing number of excellent leather artisans. Mark’s work clearly puts him in the latter category. I am delighted with my Waldon Holster Company rig. Like many of life’s better things, there is a wait (Lord, grant me patience and do it RIGHT NOW!). Mark’s delivery times run from 5 to 8 weeks. That’s in line with most of the custom makers and the goods are worth the wait. Check out http://www.waldonholsters.com right now, bookmark it, and when you need a special holster for a special blaster, give Mark a try. You’ll be glad you did.

Rosco