The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 29, 2000, 07:33 AM   #1
gunpowder

Recieved my requested 4D Maglite for Christmas. I rember a post about a year ago on upgrading the krypton bulb for better performance.

Any one recall the post or have experience with this. I recall the change ran the batteries down fast but my use is for sweeping home during break-in.
Old December 29, 2000, 11:46 PM   #2
DavidW

Xenon and Halogen bulbs

The factory bulb in Mag Lites are krypton. Even the premium Mag Lite bulb is krypton. For slightly brighter and better color try a xenon or halogen bulb. You can get a xenon bulb from http://www.carleylamps.com but there's a $50 minimum order.

The guys at http://www.bladeforums.com usually put together an order so no one gets stuck with $50+ worth of bulbs. Look for Walt Welch.

Eveready still makes 2 cell and 4 cell halogen bulbs. Goto the battery section of your favorite mega store and they should have them. They are just as bright as the xenon bulbs.
Old December 30, 2000, 02:48 AM   #3
Kevlarman

Radio Shack also sells xenon lamps - they come in a variety of cell sizes, and are about $2 each, and pretty bright!
Old January 4, 2001, 06:50 PM   #4
Size15s

Walt is the guy to contact to get the most out of your MagLite.
His email is; [email protected]
Great guy.

Another place to go for talking about Flashlights is; http://www.CandlePowerForums.com
Got flashlight questions?, ask it there!

I don't use MagLights myself as I have a wide range of SureFires. I'd use a Pelican or UKE, even a StreamLight before I'd go for a MagLight. That just my opinion based on my personal experience of MagLight.

But, If I had one, I'd want the MagLight to have a Carley Xenon bulb, and the best way to get some is to get in contact with Walt as he's the one who can help make you proud to shine your MagLight.

Alastair