The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 2, 2006, 09:43 PM   #1
rem33

reloading ultra mags-fps

I have hunted with a 30-06 mostly for years and think it's just fine 95% of the time for deer, elk, etc. and that shot placement is first and foremost for good kills but,,,
I like to hunt the sagebrush areas a lot.
Every so often, and seems more often as not the last few years I pass on a amimal that is just a little too far, so I have been thinking about rifle that gives me more reach. I have owned a 7mm mag and to me the extra noise and kick wasn't worth what I got but reading this gets me to thinking.

Ok now the question???
Has anyone tried these loads? and coronagraphed them? Can i really get this kind of FPS with a 26 inch barrel? I have my doubts but over 3700 with a 165 gr, would sure have it's place on occasion and I would enjoy the challenge of being proficiant at longer shots.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/300rum.html

We hunt a lot glassing areas then trying to get in range to get a clean shot. I have a bad ankle , Dad is over 80 now, we always have but now days even more try to be very careful about shot placemant and not having to track or drag animals much of a distance. But with a good rest and practice I feel can keep bullets in a kill zone with plenty of engery left at more distance than i would attempt now.
Rangefinders, dot scopes hmmm,,, makes for fun thinking at the least.

Thanks in advance
Steve
Old July 5, 2006, 02:47 AM   #2
silicon wolverine

I like my .375H&H more the modern ultra and super short mags. If you dont shoot much the moderns are good but they wear a barrel out FAST. Our local scheels store got stuck with a bunch of shot out .223 ans 243 WSSM that a local rifle club traded in. No one at the store realized that 500 hot rounds in a SSM was about it. If you really want reach go to a heavier magnum gun that shoots a 250-350 grain bullet. You wont be dissapointed. My .02

SW
Old July 5, 2006, 10:08 AM   #3
Foxman

+1 on the heavier bullets. Why not consider the Win 300 magnum, it is still a 30 cal so no new bullets to buy if you reload. It has been around a long time and is very accurate. Generally accepted wisdom is they shoot best with 180 - 220 gr bullets, I use 185 sierra gameking and am quite happy to tke the longer shots, knowing it will kill cleanly and hit the mark.
Mine is zreoed for 350 yds and will hold 1 moa comfrotably, recoil is no different to my 270 win and federal and winchester make good factory loads in those bullet weights if you dont reload.Barrel life is comparable with most calibers particularly if you keep off the superfast loads, mine has a couple of thousand rounds through it now and is still right on the mark. good hunting.
Old July 5, 2006, 06:41 PM   #4
Yuriens

I have chronographed Remington factory loads (the premiere line swift scirroco 180 grain bullets) out of my 26" Barreled Sisk Custom 300 Ultra Mag at 3380 fps. So that seems to correspond with their numbers for 180 X Bullets, FWIW

Mike