The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 25, 2013, 12:34 PM   #1
rifleguy

what is the most spectacular shot you have ever made/witnessed?

Yesterday at my range I saw a guy hit a 6" silhouette target at 200 yards with a compact .40 cal XD. First shot too. I almost shat myself in disbelief LOL. He was unable to repeat this feat, but I still left the range with my jaw dropped only to have a buddy of mine call BS when I told him about it.

what is the most spectacular shot you have ever witnessed?

what is the most spectacular shot you have ever made?

My greatest shot was hitting a clay pigeon with a Ruger mark3 pistol from about 40-50 yards away after one of my buddies missed it twice with his over under.
Old August 25, 2013, 12:52 PM   #2
SHE3PDOG

Whenever I go shooting with my buddies, we always end up betting on who can make a certain very difficult shot. Last time we went out to the desert, we set up a 16oz water bottle at 100m and we each took a shot at it standing unsupported. I was the last to go, so I saw where everyone else hit. I managed to nail it with my G23. It was a very lucky shot. I see people with target pistols that shoot better than that all day long though.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old August 25, 2013, 12:55 PM   #3
ThomasT

My best shot was a total fluke. I was shooting at a squirrel in the top of a tree with a Marlin 39A and the squirrel was heading up the limb. I had my crosshair right on his head. Just as I fired I saw in the scope that a second squirrel had came down the limb and just as the shot broke both heads were lined up. The bullet went through the heads of both squirrels and they hit the ground about a foot apart. I had a couple of buddies that saw it happen.
Old August 25, 2013, 01:54 PM   #4
BlackDogBrewing

I was shooting groundhogs (woodchucks) out in the field with my Marlin Model 25 .22lr rifle/Bushnell scope. I usually keep my shots on hogs with the .22 less than 80 yards, since it is not always effective with a center mass shot much farther than that. I saw one stand up out of it's hole, ranged it at 150 yards. The first 3 shots I took on it were low, but the thing kept standing up despite the dust I kicked up. The 4th shot I took dropped him instantly. When I checked him out, it turns out I hit him right in the ear, instant death. I doubt I will ever be that lucky again.
I have witnessed my buddy who is a Marine Corps Iraq veteran sniper/State Police sniper make a kill on a groundhog with a .308 at 300 yards, but I guess that's really not spectacular when you're a sniper, but I thought it was pretty cool.
Old August 25, 2013, 03:47 PM   #5
NRAInstructor

I once shot my favorite fishing lure out of a tree. Long story that one... LOL

Hit the line on my third shot with a .22.
Old August 25, 2013, 04:05 PM   #6
ammo.crafter

best?

Surprised by a pheasant in the field while hunting with my 20 ga I had to arch my back and turn 180 degrees and fire at the same time.
Had pheasant for dinner that evening.
Old August 25, 2013, 07:05 PM   #7
Dwight55

Ten rounds out of my Colt AR, using personally done hand loads.

Sitting on side of picnic table, . . . elbows on the table, . . . no sled, just my hands.

At the 100 yard range, using an inexpensive dual reticle, 6 power scope, mounted on the handle.

Covered em with a quarter, . . . 10 X's.

Yeah, . . . only did it once.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old August 25, 2013, 08:03 PM   #8
floydster

I shot a swimming muskrat at 75 yards off hand, open sights with my 7.65 Mauser--my brother couldn't believe it, ha, nor could I
Old August 25, 2013, 09:14 PM   #9
cas700850

I was 16, shooting with my father and a friend of his. Dad's buddy sticks a burning cigarette on a fence post, probably 25 yards away. Tells me he'll buy me dinner if I hit that. Marlin Model 39, 1930's manufacture, open sights. 1 shot, and I blew the burning ember off, left the filter and some tobacco on the post. Dinner was good,
Old August 25, 2013, 11:03 PM   #10
NWPilgrim

what is the most spectacular shot you have ever made/witnessed?

Mine was a fluke but pretty amazing for me.

When I was about 14 i was out deer hunting with my dad. After a long day sneaking through the woods and traipsing up and down ridges and gullies we were just heading back to camp. We came into a clearing and dad spotted a sparrow on a low branch of a tree about 30-40 yds away. Since it was my first hunt using the old Savage .30-06 he wanted to give me a chance to at least shoot at something. Si he challenged me to shoot the sparrow.

Not knowing any better I casually brought up the rifle, no sling, standing in the open, sighted through the old Banner scope and centered the crosshairs on the birds head and squeezed off. Boom!

It looked like the bird fell off so we walked over and looked around for it. The bird was neatly decapitated at the top of its neck! Dad was stunned as he never imagined I would even come close to it. Somehow in the field my freehand hold is much steadier than at the range.
Old August 25, 2013, 11:41 PM   #11
AL45

A jackrabbit took off running about 10 yards in front of me and after missing a couple of shots, at about 40 yards, he darted to my left and disappeared in some tall grass. I assumed he was still running and led him accordingly with my open sighted Winchester .22 magnum. I squeezed off a shot and the bullet hit its mark. Definitely a case of "blind" luck.
Old August 26, 2013, 12:18 AM   #12
blitztech

I was out fishing with a buddy of mine when his grandfather called him on his cell and told him to take out a beaver that kept damming up a section of the lake. Our skiff was moving at a guess probably 3-4 knots when he spotted the beaver. It was nearly dusk. I never did see the beaver even as he took aim from the moving skiff. We were probably 2-300 yards away when he squeezed off the round. A few minutes later we pulled up to the beaver and sure enough his 7mm dropped it from the moving skiff at est 2-300 yards in 1 shot. I couldn't stop talking about what a great shot it was. Dude caught more fish than me too. Life just isn't fair sometimes
Old August 26, 2013, 02:02 AM   #13
M1ke10191

Hitting the gong at 300 yards offhand with my Mosin. Pure luck

The other would be a ~10 yard shot with my.45 at a bobber on the ground. Exploded on contact with only one shot at it. My sights were larger than the bobber.
Old August 26, 2013, 06:59 AM   #14
Tinner666

My best two were interesting.
A buddy looked at a post 93 yards away through his scoped 22 and said he was going to shoot at a tiny knot. I couldn't see the knot, but told him to point it out when he got there and looked at it. I 'marked' his hand and waited for him to move away and fired two shots wit my S Single Six. He hollered for me to come and look.
His two holes were at 5 and 6 oclock, 1/2" low. Mine were exactly 1/2" below his two.

Last year, I spotted a wasp landing on a small rock in the driveway using a Crossman pellet pistol, I drew a bead from 30-40 feet away and fired. I couldn't see the rock jump or the wasp take off, so i walked over. I found a wing o each side of the rock. No other trace of the wasp.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:10 AM   #15
Mike38

The most spectacular shot I have ever witnessed was back in about 1970ish. A classmate and myself were at his Dad’s farm shooting .22s. No tin can with in 50 yards was safe. His older brother walked up and wanted to take a few shots. This older brother was an excellent shot with both a rifle and a shotgun. He was rolling all of our tin cans with ease. About that time a flock of mallard ducks flew over. He took aim with the .22 at the lead duck, fired, and down it went. Definitely illegal, and scared us so bad we put the rifles away and found something else to do that day.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:19 AM   #16
full case load

Back yard about 50 years ago I had my lever cocking BB gun looking for sparrows in the trees, not a one. Orange dragonfly flew by and shooting from the hip, it fell out of the air. Went to look and it's head was gone. If that would happen today I'd go buy a couple of lottery tickets.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:35 AM   #17
Indi

My neighbor built an internally suppressed savage mkii for his buddy, well we were shooting. On his 600 yard range, had a bunch of suppressed rifles out that day. He took his buddies savage that we just sighted in at 100 yards, he aims at the 350 yard target and nails it 3 shots in a row. Later like 15 mins later he takes my sig716 with yhm ti 762 on it and hits the 200 yards target, then aims up at the 600 yard target and nails it 2 for 2. He saw that I was impressed, so the humble Guy he is explains to me that if his property was ever invaded from that 600 yards target he would nail them all, but put him at a differernt. Range he would be in trouble.

600 yards for the 308 is nothing spectacular, but I hadn't zeroed the rifle yet.
Old August 26, 2013, 11:01 AM   #18
Wallyl

The long shot

On a cold winter day in January saw a squirrel running accross a snow covered field at 650 yards away. I had a Rem 66 clone (.22 Long Rifle) fully loaded and offhand I fired five shots..I could not see the impact of the bullets, but the fifth one hit him in the rump...as he kept circling around. I had to walk out to it and counted the paces..that's how I figured out the distance. It was dead by the time I reached it. Could I do it again...probably not in a million years.
Old August 26, 2013, 12:15 PM   #19
lcpiper

Shot a chicken through both eyes with a .22Cal Pellet gun from about 120 feet.
Heck I didn't even think I was going to hit it when I took the shot.

The Tragedy is that it was my friend's mom's chicken and someone was going to have to face her and make a surprise suggestion for dinner that night. My friend was a champ and volunteered to be the bad guy. He did shoot at it first

OH, and not an amazing shot but it took some work and some of you will understand why. Hit a brick, the one I was aiming at, about 25 yards with a Suppressed MAC-10 .45 in single shot. If you have ever shot one then you will know why this even sounds memorable.

Last edited by lcpiper; August 26, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old August 26, 2013, 12:35 PM   #20
thallub

Several years ago i threw a Hail Mary muzzleloader bullet at a hog at just over 300 yards distance. Bullet went low just under the hogs belly. It hit a rock, fragmented and ripped the hogs belly open. He went about 50 yerds and keeled over.
Old August 26, 2013, 03:03 PM   #21
skimbell

About 10 years ago I was hunting the opening weekend of Wisconsin's deer season. There were about fifteen guys hunting a friends 400+ acre farm and on Sunday afternoon everyone sort of headed back to the trucks around 3 or so for the drive home. We were a deer short of filling all of our tags and no one was really looking forward to returning the next week after thanksgiving.
As we were all standing around unloading and such I looked down the picked cornfield that I'd been hunting and saw three deer running flat out across the field broadside to us at about 400 yards. I was more or less just goofing around but I found the lead doe in the scope of my 30-06 and fired. The doe went rear over head and dropped deader than a doornail. I was totally amazed but I looked up, nodded, turned around and laid the gun over my right shoulder and told my friends standing there to hurry up and give me a mirror and I shoot the next one backwards.
Needless to say the moans and groans were audible for some distance.
Blind luck shot but I've got more mileage out of that single incident than any other.
Old August 26, 2013, 08:57 PM   #22
WyMark

Wasn't really "spectacular" or anything, but it sure made an impression.

When I was about 7 or so, my Grandpa told me "watch this" as he took aim with a Daisy BB gun at a big daddy long leg on the wall. The wall was concrete and he was only about 8-10 yards away, so of course the BB came straight back and nailed him dead between the eyes. He made me swear never to tell Grandma how he got that mark.

Taught a young kid a very valuable lesson in both physics and gun safety.
Old August 26, 2013, 09:06 PM   #23
RichC

Not so much a lucky shot, but...

I'm sitting at the kitchen table putting a scope on a CZ527. After mounting the scope I shoulder the rifle and focus in at about 25 yards through the kitchen window. While I have it shouldered a very large deer wanders into the scopes field of view and just stops... with the crosshairs lined up at the sweet spot.

My wife would not have been please if I'd shot through the kitchen window so the deer lived to see another day. But damn I was stunned to have the prey line up such a perfect shot for me...
Old August 26, 2013, 09:30 PM   #24
Hansam

Best shot: 3 shots in a row from my TAURUS PT1911 on 3 bowling pins at 100yds. My wife, the range master and three other shooters were there to witness. One shot per pin and hit each one knocking them over. I've long since sold that gun and haven't been able to pull it off again with more expensive 1911s.

Luckiest shot: I had made a stupid bet with a buddy at a range that I couldn't hit a clay pigeon at 275 yards with my AR .22lr with one shot. I knew I couldn't do it but I made the bet anyway - you know how it is. Well I shot and grossly underestimated my elevation. The bullet hit way short of the 275yd point (a tuft of dust was visible where it hit) but then somehow I was fortunate enough for the bullet to ricochet and HIT THE CLAY breaking it. That's something I know I could never do again! My buddy claims someone else shot the clay but we were the only two on the range that day.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:11 PM   #25
dogrunner

I have made exactly two fluke shots in my 72 years on this earth. One, back in the mid-60s in Alaska while caribou hunting off the Richardson Hwy with a couple of friends.....spotted a fair bull that walked out onto a frozen snow covered pond, we were on a hillside perhaps 200 feet in elevation from the drainage area that held the pond.....fellas were busting my chops with some comment like 'let's see you hit that'..........truth be told 'that' was somewhere between an honest 1200 and 1500 yards distant. I, just for the hell of it, took a sitting position and held probably 15 feet over the animal, dropped like a rock!.....had enough time to lower the rifle following the shot and saw it at the moment of impact......the bull had turned and was looking away from our position, that 180 hit the thing squarely at the base of it's skull......instant kill, actually split the skull and you could move both antlers side to side!.............Still have that rifle, a 1948 transition model 70 in '06..........the scope was the old Weaver V-8 variable that the crosshairs increased in size as you upped the power..........had that thing on it's top end and that caribou was sure a tiny target, just held over the mid section as best I could because the reticle covered most of his body.

The other shot was an absolute BS, throw away shot on what I believe was an egret...........I know, I know........it was just as illegal 50 odd years ago as it would be now. I was shooting tin cans with a little Colt .22 single action....just about finished up when a flock of those birds flew by at what I'd guess had to be about 200 yards and at about 45 degrees...........I just snapped a shot and damn if one of 'em just folded up.....wings straight up and spiraling down........dumb, I know, but you tend to do dumb things when you are a kid.......one things for sure, it and the caribou made for indelible memories.