The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 29, 2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Dino.

Chopping the barrel on a Cimarron 1892

I have a Cimarron 1892 with a 20" barrel and was thinking about having it cut down to 16"-16.5".

Does anyone know what the average price would be to have something like this done?

Thanks!

Old June 29, 2011, 08:46 AM   #2
mapsjanhere

Cut and crown barrel, move front sight, cut and thread magazine tube, shorten magazine spring, reinstall barrel band - you couldn't find a simpler gun to modify . If you find someone to do all that under $200 you're lucky.
Old June 29, 2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Dino.

Thanks mapsjanhere.
Old June 29, 2011, 04:01 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am not sure I would trust anyone who charged under $200 to do the job right. Not hard, but tedious and time-consuming work. I am not sure what mapsjanhere means by threading the magazine tube, though.

Jim
Old June 29, 2011, 09:50 PM   #5
Dino.

Quote:
I am not sure what mapsjanhere means by threading the magazine tube, though.
The end of the magazine tube is threaded and capped.
The rifle was manufactured in Italy where there is (I think) a 5-round magazine limit.
When I purchased the gun, I had to unscrew the cap and remove a rod that was used to limit the magazine capacity.

So, what is your opinion on how much it may cost to have this done?
I've never done this before myself, but it doesn't look all that tedious.
Old June 30, 2011, 10:03 AM   #6
mapsjanhere

Dino, if you're an artist with hand tools you can do this with a hacksaw and a hand file in an hour. Most people attempting it that way (including me) will be mentioned as Bubba in later descriptions of the gun.
The alternative is taking the barrel off the receiver (without damaging either) to put the barrel in the lathe for a good crown, reinstalling the barrel to the correct headspace and torque, and, after everything else is done, putting the gun on the mill to get a nice square dovetail cut for the front sight. All that takes time, and I haven't seen many gunsmith lately charging less than $70 per hour.
Old June 30, 2011, 10:15 AM   #7
Dino.

Quote:
The alternative is taking the barrel off the receiver (without damaging either) to put the barrel in the lathe for a good crown, reinstalling the barrel to the correct headspace and torque, and, after everything else is done, putting the gun on the mill to get a nice square dovetail cut for the front sight. All that takes time, and I haven't seen many gunsmith lately charging less than $70 per hour.
I like this method MUCH better.
Old June 30, 2011, 01:37 PM   #8
Scorch

IMO, you are looking at a $250-$300 job to shorten your Chiappa 1892, depending on shop rate.
Remove barrel, shorten, reinstall- .75 hrs
Set up, cut dovetail, install dovetail front sight- .5 hrs
Remove magazine tube, shorten, drill for cap screw, reinstall- .75 hrs
Set up, cut barrel and mag tube for front barrel band- .5 hrs
Reassemble- .5 hrs
About 3 hrs shop time, so whatever the shop rate is times 3 hrs is what you are looking at.
Old July 1, 2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Dino.

Thanks Scorch.
Old July 1, 2011, 11:15 AM   #10
AJG

refinish

don't forget to get the barrel and magazine tube refinished, or at least the cut ends refinished...
Old July 1, 2011, 02:48 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

"....remove the barrel...."

A very good reason for a gunsmith to have a lathe with a hollow headstock if such can be obtained.

"The end of the magazine tube is threaded and capped." Thanks. I didn't know that; I assumed (yes, I know) it was the same as the Winchester.

Jim