The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 6, 2008, 07:19 PM   #1
tc tom

10-22 trigger

My wife gave me a 10-22 for my birthday and the trigger pull on its seems to be about thirty pounds, how hard is it to put in a reasonably priced trigger system?
Old May 6, 2008, 07:34 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Both Volquartsen and Power Custom make trigger/sear units that are very good and are pretty much drop in. Instructions are included. Check with Brownells (www.brownells.com) for what they have and the price (not cheap).

Also, the original parts can be smoothed up a lot with a bit of careful stoning, but if you DIY, be careful not to change angles or you could empty a magazine very fast and get some unwanted attention at the range.

Jim
Old May 6, 2008, 10:49 PM   #3
williamd

The 10/22 trigger can be reworked pretty well. Take time, stone/polish slowly, reduce spring (clipping may work .. did on mine). My old 10/22 is/was always great. Newer one had to be reworked quite a lot. Ruger ain't what they used to be!!
Old May 6, 2008, 10:55 PM   #4
hoytinak

I put all Power Custom internals in one of mine and it's freakin sweet....breaks clean at 1.5 lbs. It did cost just as much as the rifle itself, but it's the best mod I could think of and well worth the money IMO.
Old May 7, 2008, 05:21 AM   #5
Martyn4802

I have eight Ruger 10-22's, all tricked out. And, I spent a lot of time on Rimfirecentral where I learned a whole lot about those rifles. It's a good place to learn about them.
The single most important thing you can do to improve the 10-22 trigger is install an aftermarket hammer. The factory sear works just fine, so no need changing it. I personally like the Power Custom hammer. Don't change the hammer spring either as the factory spring works perfectly with the aftermarket hammer, and factory sear. Beyond that, polishing mating trigger parts will smooth up the pull too. I'd suggest putting in a recoil buffer as it quiets the cycling noise a lot.
Cleaning the bore of the barrel using JB Bore Paste will improve accuracy too, about 100 strokes with a tight fitting patch loaded with the JB.
There are many other things you can do to improve the 10-22, but the hammer change is the most important change.

Shoot and enjoy..

Martyn
Old May 7, 2008, 10:43 AM   #6
Alleykat

I only installed the Volquartsen hammer in my 10-22, and the trigger pull was reduced to about 2.5#, with a good, clean break.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:55 PM   #7
slickoneuk

A complete Kidd triger assembly. I invested in one. No regrets a all. Sweet sweet crisp trigger
Old May 9, 2008, 11:06 PM   #8
Zak Smith

Drop in Hornet, under $100.
Old June 14, 2008, 12:38 AM   #9
Clark

For $150, I got drop in perfection:
http://superiortactical.com/index.html
Old June 14, 2008, 12:19 PM   #10
Scorch

I agree that most of the suggestions here will solve the trigger problems. However, some of them cost as much or more than the rifle did brand new. If you can R&R the trigger assembly parts, you can do an acceptable trigger job by installing a Clark trigger kit.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=269423
I would advise against trying to stone and smooth the trigger yourself. While it can be done well, most of the triggers I have seen that were done in this manner are mushy and creepy, and I would say unsafe. The Clark trigger is drop-in, quick and easy, and mostly foolproof. I just finished a build on a Ruger 10/22, and I installed the Clark triigger. It is an exceptional trigger.
Old June 15, 2008, 01:34 AM   #11
BerettaFox

brownells makes some kind of a polish from coarse grit to fine grit. I read about it in american handgunner.
Old June 15, 2008, 06:07 AM   #12
Martyn4802

Joe Cichlid out in Missouri did some trigger parts polishing that proves very useful in improving the factory trigger performance.
Here's the link to what he has done.
http://home.earthlink.net:80/~nrwilson01/triggermods/
I do that to all of my factory triggers.
I also have two Kidd triggers that are really the best 10-22 triggers available. The Kidd triggers are a different design from the factory triggers and can be set for a lighter weight of pull that the factory trigger. The lowest "safe" weight of pull for the factory trigger is 2 1/4 pounds. My two Kidd triggers are set at 7 ounce pull.

Martyn
Old June 15, 2008, 11:12 AM   #13
Crosshair

Whatever you do get, make sure to get a trigger with an overtravel adjustment screw. The stock 10/22 trigger has lots of overtravel and eliminating that is just as important as safely lowering the pull weight.
Old June 15, 2008, 11:15 AM   #14
Pilot

I too installed the entier Power Custom trigger and sear package. It did require a few passes with a Dremel tool to make it fit, but if I can do it anyone can. The instructions were very good. The trigger is spectacular. Only thing left stock on the gun is the receiver, bolt and mag.
Old September 11, 2009, 07:57 PM   #15
gwiley

Just FYI

I used the Clark Custom kit, too, and it works great. If anyone is nervous about installing themselves I found a how-to article with pictures and everything: http://funreviews.net/publish/How-To...uger_10_22.php

-Cheers
Old September 11, 2009, 08:23 PM   #16
comn-cents

I just installed a power custom match trigger set and did not need to dremel anything. For my next 10/22 build I'm getting the timney drop in trigger.
Old September 11, 2009, 08:25 PM   #17
Nowhere Man

The Volquartsen kit was a breeze. Whichever kit you choose, make sure to add an auto bolt release.

Dave
Old September 12, 2009, 07:35 AM   #18
Crunchy Frog

I'll echo the prior reply that rimfirecentral.com is a great place to get info on improving the 10/22. You can get step by step instructions for anything you want to try.

I bought the Volquartsen hammer bundled with the bolt release from Midway USA on sale for about $30. I also installed an extended mag release and a bolt buffer. The hammer dropped right in, improved the trigger considerably. I don't have a pull gauge but I'd guess it's in the three pound range with almost no creep.
Old September 22, 2009, 01:15 PM   #19
gwiley

Updated:

Here's the Trigger Kit installation: http://www.funreviews.net/frnet/RugerTrigger

And also how to add the auto bolt release and extended magazine release: http://www.funreviews.net/frnet/RugerABMR
Old September 24, 2009, 04:33 AM   #20
EmptyHull

Go to Rimfirecentral and do a search. There is a drop in R/T trigger that I use that is excellent. Then there is the bolt buffer, extractor, charging handle, hammer, ext mag release, auto hold, v-block....it dosen't stop. It is an addiction of which there is NO CURE man! Once you open up a 10/22 and say" I think I can make it better" you can not stop. My advice is to put the gun down and run hoping it is not too late! The only thing "stock" on my 10/22 is the receiver now.... Great gun and very fun and cheap to shoot. Tim
Old September 24, 2009, 07:38 AM   #21
wingman

I have a heavy barrel 10/22 with Boyd stock sent trigger/bolt group to Randy at CPC and for $135 he did trigger polished bolt and pinned firing pin it now shoots constant one hole groups at 50 yards with most ammo especially wolf match. The trigger is 2lbs perhaps a little low for hunting but I use it for target shooting out to 100 yards.

http://community-2.webtv.net/RandyAt...ork/index.html

Last edited by wingman; September 24, 2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old September 24, 2009, 10:28 AM   #22
Superhouse 15

I have had good luck with the Clark stuff from Brownell's. A hammer from them and some careful polish work following all the directions already given will do wonders for the 10/22.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5...ER_TRIGGER_KIT
Old September 24, 2009, 11:29 AM   #23
mds2004

First you have a good wife, and second the parts or trigger housing is easy to install. If you want it worked on just send it to http://swampfoxtriggers.webs.com/ratesservices.htm

If you want to do it yourself you can buy a hammer + sear + auto-bolt release + buffer if you want.

If you want to really do it yourself you can just polish the internals which is real easy. Im new to a 10/22 also and just cleaned up my internals while taking a little more from the hammer to make the pull less than 3lbs.

I also dremeled out the bolt release so I did not have to buy a new one for $10, and then I made my own buffer out of 7/64" windshield fluid line and 3/16" rivet to put inside the line. The bolt was also polished and chamfered with the dremel. After I do the JB Weld trick to take up the pre-travel I will be content with the gun. Oh and I also spent $10 on an extractor to make it more reliable + $15 on a used Tactical Solutions mag release. So less than $30 dollars and I have a great trigger.