The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 27, 2009, 07:36 PM   #1
boltaction

Grandads shotgun

This is a shotgun of my grandads and I'm interested in it's background. The name on the side says (W.R. Bush). Anyone have any info to the history of this gun? Thanks

Guns 001.JPG

Guns 002.JPG
Old December 28, 2009, 11:47 AM   #2
boltaction

Here is some more info and some pics. On the top of the gun it says "London Fine Twist". Same two pics different lighting.

Guns 008.jpg

Guns 009.JPG
Old December 28, 2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Uncle Buck

Man that is a beautiful looking gun. I do not know anything about it, other than I like the looks of it.

What is the second series of pictures? Looks like a bad weld job. I really hope someone can identify this and give you a value for it. (Although being Grandpas' pretty much makes it worth a fortune to me. No way would I ever think of getting rid of dads or granddads guns.)
Old December 28, 2009, 04:20 PM   #4
boltaction

Hey Uncle Buck, I'm guessing that at one time the forend had broken and been repared then broke again. These guns will be handed down to my son and hopefully then to my grandson.
Old December 28, 2009, 04:35 PM   #5
mapsjanhere

The proof marks are Birmingham (England) pre-1887.
Old January 9, 2010, 08:53 PM   #6
jasnake65

send me a PM i just picked up a gun same as yours in Flint today but I have different serial numbers on the barrel. The area that is missing is for the Forearm and a piece should be brased in the barrel to hold it
Old January 10, 2010, 08:30 PM   #7
jasnake65

Here is a clpe of pics for you, very strange that your Grandpa is from Imlay City area and thats where im from and I picked this up over at a local Gun dealer. They must of bought it at the same place

Old January 11, 2010, 08:26 PM   #8
boltaction

Quote:
Here is a clpe of pics for you, very strange that your Grandpa is from Imlay City area and thats where im from and I picked this up over at a local Gun dealer. They must of bought it at the same place
Those are some real neat pics. I see the forend is attached in the same way a muzzeloader is. Thanks for posting these, it gives me some insight on how my gun used to look.