The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2008, 12:13 PM   #1
PetreTG

Has anyone tried the new Winchester SX3 ?

A buddy of mine told me , before I buy a Berreta or Benelli semi-auto that I should check out one of these.

A little research shows it beat the Benelli users record for fire speed ... 12 clays in 1.442 seconds !!!

I'm wondering how reliable they are , as well as easy to clean and durability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2QPvuEk5dg

Last edited by PetreTG; February 9, 2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Add Video link ...
Old February 9, 2008, 12:23 PM   #2
ebutler462

They are very reliable. I don't have one but my son does. As for cleaning, he does a once a year cleaning whether his guns need it or not. He hasn't torn his down yet but reports no reliability issues.
Old February 10, 2008, 09:40 AM   #3
PetreTG

Thanks for the reply!

I'm surprised their aren't more opinions on the SX3's considering it's the gun that beat the best in exhibition shooting!

I found an SX3 with nicely figured wood stock's and excellent buttstock pad for what I think is a great price.

I noticed on the barrel it says they're being made by FN !
Old February 10, 2008, 02:31 PM   #4
PetreTG

Wow ... I thought this would be a fairly well known Shotgun as the current speed king ???
Old February 10, 2008, 06:35 PM   #5
glock199mm

i have this one on order
Old February 10, 2008, 11:18 PM   #6
johnbt

I have a 2003 SX-2 Waterfowl I bought used and it's a great gun. The SX-3's are almost identical to the 2's, just a bit lighter.

John
Old February 11, 2008, 03:34 PM   #7
BigJimP

I put a few shells thru one a few months back - one of the guys at the range had one. I have a lot of shotguns, so I don't need anything and I wasn't impressed enough to order one .....but I didn't see anything in particular wrong with it ....except its a gas gun. The one this guy had was a composite stock and I think he said he paid about $1,000 for it.

It is fast - but I don't know that its any faster than the Benelli super sport / or if it is / I couldn't tell it - we were shooting skeet. For a semi-auto in 12 or 20ga I'll stick with my Benelli super sports. Mostly, I think the Benelli is a much cleaner shooting gun - handles my needs for going to Mexico or as a travel gun in general.