The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 13, 2009, 05:15 PM   #1
Cossack

STIFF trigger - Win. 1895

I found a Win. Model 95 today - it's been well used, and while not appearing overly abused from use, it's been cut down rather roughly. As a result, it's a great price for a 95.

The biggest problem, however, as I can see it, is the trigger is extremely stiff - not mushy, not grinding, it just takes much too much pressure for it to break.

Does this seem like a easy fix, either for me to do at home or inexpensively at the gunsmith's?

(It would probably go to the smith, unless it's something simple like adding lubricant - I have no gunsmithing experience.)
Old April 13, 2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Scorch

Winchester 1895 rifles triggers are a very simple mechanism, but I would recommend taking it to a smith for work, as it involves recutting the sear angles. I recommend you call John at Taylor Machine at 253-445-4073. You could also have it rebarreled at the same time with a barrel in the original style.
Old April 14, 2009, 12:32 PM   #3
Cossack

Rechambering?

What would be involved in rechambering the gun for 30-06? Is that even a realistic possibility?

As for the simpler repairs -
How much does it usually cost to have a barrel cleaned up and crowned? And for a trigger job?

I still might call John at Taylor. I was hoping to get it done locally, but I wasn't able to get any quote from my local gunsmith.
Old April 14, 2009, 12:55 PM   #4
Scorch

For the Win 1895, a 30-40 Krag replacement barrel is the simplest option, or have the barrel extended, bored, and lined if you want to keep the original barrel markings. Of course, you could rebarrel to anything with the same bolt face measurement. How about a 35 Winchester or a 405 Winchester? Call John at Taylor Machine for help.

Since the 30-40 and the 30-06 have different head sizes, rechambering to 30-06 would involve welding up and recutting the bolt face, something not very many people I know would be willing to try.
Old April 15, 2009, 12:05 AM   #5
Cossack

Safety - 1/4 cock

I went and looked at it again today. I noticed the hammer drops from quarter-cock with a good squeeze on the trigger. Is this likely fixable along with the trigger job?

Thanks for your help, BTW, Scorch.

I'm also taking this over to the rifle forum thread.