The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 2, 2009, 11:19 PM   #1
unclejeffy

So why can't I find out any information on Marlin 881 .22s?

I bought a lot of ten (10) Marlin 881 bolt action rifles today. The price was right (embarrassingly cheap), but I can't seem to find much (any?) information on them online. These are in real nice condition (stocks, action, barrel, etc.) but I'd just like to know more about what I got. What is their reputation? Any known issues? When were they produced? What is their current value range? Are they comparable to other, currently produced Marlin models? Surely someone can help me out. Thanks in advance!
Old March 3, 2009, 03:59 AM   #2
dogngun

I used to own one, very good adult size, tube mag,

nice cut walnut stock. I put an old 4x deer scope on it and used it for squirrel hunting for about 5 years. An accurate and easy to shoot rifle that looked great. They were made in the 1990's, and there is/was a magazine version, the 880 that became the Marlin Squirel Rifle with a plastic stock - this might still be in production.
I sold my 881 after I had some heart trouble, needed cash when I was out of work, later bought another Marlin bolt action to replace it.

mark
Old March 3, 2009, 05:43 AM   #3
unclejeffy

Thanks for the affirmation!

Since I wasn't finding much information, I was beginning to think I'd but a bunch of dogs. Glad to hear you liked yours, dogngun. I hope to hear more of that sort of thing, although I'm sure some out there have not liked their 881s.
Old March 3, 2009, 06:37 AM   #4
wayne in boca

I have an 881 TS in a synthetic stock.Best squirrel rifle I ever had,with a 1" scope on her she'll shoot a ragged hole at 50 yards.Nice full size rifle too.I am a large man and have trouble with youth rifles.Bought mine with a Christmas gift card at Bass Pro.One of my favorite .22s,and I have a lot of .22s.
Old March 3, 2009, 06:51 AM   #5
texfar

unclejeffy, just google search Marlin 881 and you will find a ton of stuff. also go to http://www.rimfirecentral.com/ and pose the same question or do a search and you find another ton of stuff on it. HTH
Ken
Old March 3, 2009, 12:16 PM   #6
unclejeffy

Actually, I haven't

I have been searching under Marlin 881 and I haven't been finding much information, actually. Helps to now know that it's related to the model 81, et al. I'll broaden the search. I was just surprised to see how little there was compared to the information on the Remington 121 my son just inherited. I will try that site you mention. Thanks.
Old May 9, 2009, 11:22 PM   #7
gunlovingirl

I have one and have had no problems. It's extremely accurate.
Old May 10, 2009, 12:03 AM   #8
Swampghost

Go here and all of your questions will be answered http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php
Old June 1, 2010, 02:07 PM   #9
drumnhands

miss mine dearly

Unclejeffy,
Check your inbox for a PM from me. I had to sell one of these four years ago and have regretted it every day since. That's a great rifle.

Tags
.22 , bolt action , marlin , rimfire