The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 5, 2012, 02:22 AM   #1
9mm

Worst Gun You Ever Owned? Still Own.. ?

What is the worst gun you own/still own today?

I would say this us made revolver co. Family thing, never fired, I keep it in the safe, removed some rust and thats about it. So it's junky. Haha
Old December 5, 2012, 07:45 AM   #2
CPO15

Still have my Jennings .22, still have all my fingers....
Old December 5, 2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Uncle Billy

A Herter's .44 Magnum Colt SAA knockoff. It was made in Germany, I think, with the sort of quality we've come to expect from anything made in China. After the 3rd shot the cylinder falls out; the slider under the barrel usually winds up out in front about 10 feet; cocked it will go off if pointed to the ground (there were powder burns on my shoe the first time I discovered this). Junk, pure and simple. Looks nice though, so it's in a quick-draw rig and hung from a peg with my $225 Stetson in the gun room as decoration. I'm not all that into the cowboy thing but I had to find something useful to do with the pistol, and the hat which otherwise would remain in its box in the closet.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:07 AM   #4
Hal

The worst - was my first!
LOL! Didn't mean that as a rhyme.

FIE Titan .25.
Traded it on a Ruger .22 Mark I.

That Ruger may well have been the 2nd worst.
I got rid of that too.

Both were jamm-o-matics and didn't hit anywhere near where they were supposed to. Plus the FIE was just downright too expensive to shoot.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:14 AM   #5
TeamTurpin

Raven Arms .25. Maybe not my best firearm purchase.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Rifleman1776

Worst ever by far: Marlin lever rifle in .44 mag. Back to factory twice, never worked right. Couldn't find paper at 25 yards.
Current junker: Jennings .22lr semi-auto pocket pistol.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Zhillsauditor

Ruger 10/22--the magazine would fall out every third shot--sold at a loss with full disclosure.

Tokarov TT, safety would engage every few rounds. Traded it on a malfunctioning Buckmark that, with a new recoil spring and pad, was a sweet shooter that functioned flawlessly.

I would say that I probably disliked my first gun the most, a Ruger MkIII 22/45, but it wasn't my worst.

Worst gun I currently own . . . a non-functioning 100 year old Marlin 1898 shotgun, that I intend to fix and reblue at some point. Overpriced at $50, I see it as a project to keep me busy.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:25 AM   #8
loose_holster_dan

taurus 24/7 pro compact
closely followed by taurus 917c and kimber grand raptor 2.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 5, 2012, 09:42 AM   #9
highpower3006

I've owned so many junkers over the years it is hard to pick out the very worst. A couple that come to mind are a Raven .25 auto (what was I thinking!) and a 1939 660 coded K98k Mauser that would keyhole at 50 yards and was ugly to boot.

Some were just really disappointing, like the S42 Luger that I had that would not feed one round in a row with out jamming.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:52 AM   #10
CurlyQ.Howard

Worst = 1187 - All three of them - worthless. And this after 25 years of successful use of an 870. Everything that the 870 was, the 1187 (each one of the three I owned) were not. Everything.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:02 AM   #11
efield

I have a Ruby Izarra in .32ACP. I keep it as part of my historical collection. It's a Spanish made pistol contracted by the Finnish to be used as an officers sidearm. It looks a lot like a 1903 FN/Browning..................but it ain't no Browning. This "piece" is a jam-o-matic that will not put a 3 round pattern on a paper plate at 3 yards. I should fill the barrel with lead and use it as a paper weight or a decoy.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:05 AM   #12
anothernewb

Have a winchester 30-30 from the 60's that won't put 2 bullets within 4" of each other at 50' with the gun in a vice.
It's dinged, bent, pitted, crusty and absolutely not trusty.

However - it's a family heirloom with some interesting history behind it so it'll stay.

It still get's shot once or twice every few years just for the sake of it.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:08 AM   #13
kraigwy

RG 38 snub nose:

Can't really say I owned it, and I didn't keep it, I bought it to trade for my grandfather's 16 ga single barreled shot gun.

My aunt had my grandfathers shotgun. I wanted it.

When I was 8-10 I picked up pop bottles along the highway to come up with the 25 cents I needed for three shells and killed my first deer with that shotgun.

Years later, I was in highschool and asked my grandmother about the gun, she told me my aunt had it. Then she told me stories about the gun.

My grandfather pretty much used it to feed his family during the depression. He worked part time for the sheriff's dept, escourting prisoners from Perryville to Little Rock by wagon. The shot gun was his only weapon.

They lived on the Perry-Polaski county line, and grandpa stopped at the house to get some rest while on one such transport. While he napped grandma guarded the bandit. The bandit asked if she would really use that gun, she just said, "get out of that chair and see". He didn't.

Well since I've heard the stories and killed my first deer with that gun I had to have it. I asked my aunt and she said she needed it for protection (though she never fired it and I doubt she had any shells).

I told her I'd buy her a pistol which would be better for protection. After a bit she agreed. So I went to the hardware store and paid $29 for a piece of crap RG pot metal revolver and traded for the shotgun. (Back then, early 60s kids could buy guns).

So I had the thing for a few hours. Though it was junk, it was the best buy and trade I ever made. Still got my grandfather's shotgun but found out it was made for black power only. Don'tshoot it much but I still have it, and hope my grandkids will appriciate it some day.

Don't think my aunt every got any 38s for the gun, just as well, she was happy.

A little bit off topic, but that RG was the worse gun I ever bought.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 5, 2012, 10:09 AM   #14
traumajunkie

My worst is my rem 770 still a good gun to pull out once a year to check zero and kill a deer but its the worst one in the gun cabinet and I won't get rid of it because my wife bought it for me a few Christmases ago

It's not an assault weapon it's a Modern Musket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 5, 2012, 10:14 AM   #15
Woody55

I can't say I really owned it. I confiscated it from a family member. I don't even recall who made it.

It was a .25 ACP Saturday Night Special with an on board magazine. The only way to unload it was by cycling the magazine. The springs were very heavy, so unloading it was an adventure - espcially for the female family member I took it away from.

It also jammed about every other shot, which is how it came to my attention.

I had someone take a torch to it as a Service to Humanity.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:16 AM   #16
Esox

Worst gun I ever owned that I bought used- Raven .25.
Worst gun I even owned that I bought new- Kimber Solo.

No, I no longer own either one. The Raven I sold to a buddy who 25 years later still uses it as a barn rat plinker. The Solo I sold to a friend who knew before hand how unreliable it was, it is now encased in a polyurethane block and is being used as a doorstop. The most appropriate use for that piece of crap.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:36 AM   #17
nate45

RG-14 22lr

I felt sorry for a guy that needed money back in the 80s. It would shoot okay, till either the linkage to the main spring, or hand, I can't remember exactly, would come undone and I'd have to fix it.

I've previously owned a couple of Taurus revolvers that had less that stellar QC on the finish, etc, but they never failed mechanically.

Other than those I can't think of anything. I've always researched firearms, carefully examined used ones, sometimes talked to other owners and stuck to quality brands. Since the internet got in full swing though, its too easy to find out which models and brands are causing problems. Not much excuse for being uninformed.
Old December 5, 2012, 12:03 PM   #18
Rainbow Demon

A pawn shop owner gave me a .32 revolver with broken top strap that he said might be good for parts.
I hadn't seen this brand before so I figured I'd strip it to see how it was built.

The barrel used a liner so I took a stab at getting the liner out. I tried heating the barrel jacket to expand it and suddenly it all melted away like solder. I guess it was a low temperature ZAMAC casting.
Old December 5, 2012, 12:10 PM   #19
RickB

Rohm RG66. I think I still have it, somewhere.
Old December 5, 2012, 12:19 PM   #20
armoredman

Tec-22, terrible pistol, refused to feed from any magazines but stock Ruger 10/22 mags, would still jam ever third round. Looked great, shot like a shotgun. I forget what I got for it when I sold it, but it was more than it was worth.
Century Arms built CETME - I got ONE magazine through it and it fell apart. Century said the warranty expired while the gun was sitting on the distributor's shelves. Found a tinkerer who wanted to try to fix it, almost made my money back.
Old December 5, 2012, 03:04 PM   #21
Seaman

CZ-27

Beautiful pistol. Feels great in the hand. At 10 feet shoots a 6" group. And what's even better, it jams a lot. POS.

A real disappointment.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:03 PM   #22
SIGSHR

Didn't care for my S&W M-59, between that and firing a Colt Cobra (one of my "grail" guns) I realized I was a Steel and Walnut Man.
I have an Ortgies 25 ACO, to disassemble and reassemble, bought a spare slide for it, realized it would take a lot of fitting to make it work. But since it is a "having" gun rather than a "working" gun, I can live with it.
Myx CZ 27 is quite accurate, the ergonomics are poor, yes.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:23 PM   #23
cornbush

Walther P22, it was so reliable I would have felt comfortable being disarmed and having it pointed at me by a perp...........
Old December 5, 2012, 07:44 PM   #24
johnwilliamson062

So far, Mossberg 930. Hasn't been back to the factory yet, but it is due for trip one as soon as I face up to the reality. Hopefully it comes back and I can change my answer.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:50 PM   #25
Brian48

I don't dislike any of the guns I currently have enough to say any of them is my "worst". I did own an AMT Hardballer at one time though. By far, the biggest hunk of junk I've ever wasted my money on.