The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 11, 2012, 12:45 AM   #1
FLChinook

S&W K Grip with bottom attachment?

Does anyone have experience with a S&W K frame grip that attaches from the bottom? There's a bracket that fits over the pins near the bottom and holds a small nut with the hole looking down. Then, the grips are slipped over the frame and a small bolt goes up through a hole in the bottom to the nut inside the grip.

The grip would have to be made in two pieces and then glued together. Is there one grip maker known for this type grip?

Thanks
Old December 11, 2012, 01:14 AM   #2
hoghunting

Sounds like you have a set of Hogue grips.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:11 AM   #3
FLChinook

As a structural engineer, it bothers me that the only attachment comes from the bottom. It seems the tolerances have to be extremely tight to make everything "tight". Does experience show this attachment method works well?
Old December 11, 2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Venom1956

Yeah it works ok.

I can marr the crap outta your frame. Hence why I don't use them. Also I do t like the 'bump' they put on the backstrap.

as for tight tolerances its made of flexible plastic and rubber. So I'm guessing its made a bit undersized to it squeezes tightly to the frame.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Last edited by Venom1956; December 11, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Bob Wright

Other than being rubber, they extend the grip too far below the butt. Height is a negative factor for concealment, as well as rubber. Tends to "print" more noticably.

Bob Wright
Old December 11, 2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Slopemeno

While I'm not a huge fan of Hogues, let's remember that they also are located by the cutouts at the top of the grip- the single screw at the bottom of the grip keeps the grip pushed up into those cutouts.

I was a department armorer, and several of our departments carried S&W Model 66s with Hogue grips. I never saw one fail, break, or interfere with the function of a duty gun, ever.
Old December 11, 2012, 12:27 PM   #7
DFrame

I have to agree with Bob Wright. While they are satisfactory for utilitarian (uniformed carry) purposes, I would not use them on any gun I wanted to carry concealed. They tend to be too large and the rubber can catch on clothing.
Old December 11, 2012, 08:19 PM   #8
Dfariswheel

Note that Hogue also makes the Mono-Grip system grips from fancy woods, not just rubber.

The wood and rubber grips are all made from one solid piece of material, not glued together.

The Mono-Grip type mounting system is the strongest, and most solid revolver grip mounting system ever developed. Once mounted correctly, the grip can't shift like traditional screw mounts and you don't have problems caused by over tightening the screw like with standard type grips

http://www.getgrip.com/
Old December 11, 2012, 10:11 PM   #9
drail

I have used Hogue grips for many years and never seen any of the "problems" mentioned above. The monogrip was designed by a guy who shot his revolvers in competition. It is a very good design and fits snugly to the entire grip frame and enables you to have a consistent hold every time you grasp the gun.
Old December 12, 2012, 06:45 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have Hogue rubber grips on just about every one of my Smith & Wessons.

I find that they work VERY well. There's really no problem with their only being a single attachment point at the bottom screw.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 13, 2012, 07:09 AM   #11
Viper225

I picked up a 66-2 with 3" barrel a while back that had a different bracket on the Hogue Rubber grip. I am guessing this was a very old set of Hogue Rubber Grips. Picture the spring steel stirrup without the NUT attached to the bottom end. It is installed upside down with the end with the holes down, instead of over the grip locator pin. The grip locator pin was removed. The Nut was a round aluminum barrel with the ends turned down to fit in the holes on the stirrup. This aluminum Barrel NUT was threaded for the grip attachment screw.
I am guessing that this set up was a pain to get everything aligned. With the bracket floating around on the bottom of the grip, and also the barrel nut could get turned so the threaded hole was not pointed down.

The new model bracket that attached to the grip locator pin was a major improvement over this set up.

Like some above, at one time I put Hogue Rubber on every Smith & Wesson I bought. The last few years I am going the other direction. I am replacing the Houges and Pachmayers with nice wood grips. I am down to just my 617 Round Butt, and my 64-3 SSR Gun having my S&W's all in wood. I may leave the 64 with the Houges on it.
My 480 Ruger Super RedHawks both have Hogue Tamers on them. They are on to stay also. Pretty much a required grip on the 480 Ruger.

Bob

Last edited by Viper225; December 13, 2012 at 07:15 AM.