The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 29, 2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Moyer

Weakest AR-15 .223 load that cycles?

I'm trying to figure out the weakest .223 load that would cycle reliably in a stock AR-15. I know that to some extent it will depend on the individual gun, but I'd like to know if what I'm looking for is even possible.

I believe that .223 can actually be loaded all the way down to basically 22lr power, but I'm looking for something more along the lines of 22WMR. Is this even close to possible? The benefits would be that it's quiet (compared to a full power .223) and good for pests like raccoons, nutria, groundhogs, beaver, or larger animals at close range. AND you'd still be able to throw in a mag of full power rounds whenever needed.

BTW, when I say reliable, I don't mean combat reliable. Actually now that I think about it, just about every 22WMR rifle available now is either single shot or bolt/lever action. Maybe reliability wouldn't be that important??? How fast can you reload an underpowered shell by hand in an AR-15?
Old May 29, 2012, 07:31 PM   #2
zxcvbob

Use Blue Dot powder and pretend your gun is a bolt action?
Old May 29, 2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Moyer

It might sound crazy to some, but it seems better than buying another gun & scope that won't fit in my safe. Any guesses on accuracy with this setup?
Old May 29, 2012, 09:20 PM   #4
jepp2

Quote:
I believe that .223 can actually be loaded all the way down to basically 22lr power, but I'm looking for something more along the lines of 22WMR. Is this even close to possible? The benefits would be that it's quiet (compared to a full power .223) and good for pests like raccoons, nutria, groundhogs, beaver, or larger animals at close range. AND you'd still be able to throw in a mag of full power rounds whenever needed.
Have you given any thought to a CMMG 22 conversion unit ? It would accomplish everything you want to do, and with the price difference in a 22 LR versus even a reduced 223 load (primer $0.025, bullet $0.075, powder ??) you will quickly pay for the 22 conversion and have a reliable firearm.
Old May 29, 2012, 09:23 PM   #5
zxcvbob

I'm serious about using Blue Dot. How important is it that the load ejects and picks up a new round? I think it really just needs to not jam.
Old June 1, 2012, 01:50 AM   #6
warningshot

Try blanks.
Old June 1, 2012, 08:19 AM   #7
Adamantium

For true low power using a pistol powder and manually cycling it is the way to go. I've used 2400 before and at max load it probably won't eject in your gun but I wouldn't call it quiet either. To me quiet means no hearing protection and no ringing in the ears. If I have to put on hearing protection an incremental difference in noise doesn't really matter.

If you want your gun to cycle I'd look at rifle powders on the fast side like IMR 4198 and see how far below max you can work it before cycling becomes a problem.
Old June 2, 2012, 08:20 PM   #8
Paul105

Try Here

http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Blue%20Dot.htm
Old June 2, 2012, 11:17 PM   #9
beex215

i already had the intentions of loading my rounds with blue dot. ill have some 224 coming in Tuesday and would let you know the results soon after.

its suppose generate the same speeds as normal loads but it is still quiter. also its not suppose to cycle the action from an ar15 which im going to test also.

http://www.youtube.com/user/beehasagun1?feature=mhee
Old June 3, 2012, 09:17 AM   #10
griz

I used to use a load that was close to 22 LR, about 1400 FPS with a 40 gr bullet. Never tried it in an AR, but it would not come close to operating a mini 14. It also did not shoot to the same sight setting, but was dead on at the spot where the bottom crosshair got thicker. It was handy for squirrels when one voulenteered for the pot.