The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 20, 2005, 06:29 PM   #1
John28226

Replacement for 452 Winchester powder

I have recently been rotating my ammunition and doing some comparisons of the powder vs all round performance. My 2 in. Stellar Tracker (45ACP) really likes the ammo loaded with a Winchester powder that I can no longer find - 452. Does anyone know of a currently made powder with comparable specs? Thanks for your help.
John
Charlotte, NC
Old June 20, 2005, 07:30 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I went through most of a keg of 452AA bought from the widow of a trapshooter here. There are a lot of .45 shooters using the current equivalent, Winchester Super Target, WST.
I used some N320, AA2 and Titegroup; they are OK, but I am now loading .45 ACP with HP38, no real difference from 231. Guess I am just not hard to please on .45 ball and SWC.

I keep some Clays for light revolver loads, though. It is clean burning and less likely than any powder I know to leave unburnt granules under the extractor star to bind cylinder rotation. It is fast burning and I doubt it will equal factory velocity at standard pressure, though.