The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2013, 07:48 AM   #1
Bluelon2

460 S&W in 20" T/C for hunting

All of the load data I can find is for hand cannons in this caliber. Anyone done loading for rifles, specifically, what is the better bullets to use for full power hunting loads? I'm in MT and have deer and elk as likely targets. ( Maybe a moose someday.)
Any help is appreciated. I'll look through some older threads to see what I can find also.
Old August 10, 2013, 08:11 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The Lyman 49th has a ton of Encore data.

Its really no different though. Use rifle data for the same cartridge. The Encore can take full-power loads. Drop the max load 2 or 3% if it makes you feel better.

I have a 15" Encore Pro Hunter in 7mm-08. My main consideration is muzzle blast and rocket effect recoil. Light bullets and faster powders reduce both.
Old August 10, 2013, 09:21 AM   #3
buck460XVR

Bullets used are the same one intended for use in the .460 and .454 Casull. The use of standard .45 caliber bullets intended for .45 Colt, while not dangerous to use in a single shot rifle(unlike a revolver) will have terrible terminal performance on medium to large game when used at legitimate .460 velocities. You will also find that recoil from your T/C will be brutal unless it is ported and even then, will be worse than from a S&W hunting type X-Frame Revolver using similar loads. My oldest son had a 20" .460 barrel for his T/C and loads comfortable in my X-Frame were too much in the T/C. While it was easy for me to find several accurate loads for my X-Frame, we never found a satisfactory load for his T/C. He ended up tradin' it for a 629.