The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 6, 2013, 12:25 PM   #1
327 FM

Gander Mountain

I just came back from a local Gander Mountain. While there, a few things I noticed were Sig P238 were priced at $800. Ruger GP100 was over $700. Bersa Thunder matte black was $420. Walther PPQ $700, etc.

Now I have always thought Gander Mountain was over priced but this is pretty bad IMO.

Another thing, I was told by an employee in the gun dept that ALL Gander Mountains will be dropping ALL reloading inventory because of insurance.
Old January 6, 2013, 12:58 PM   #2
outlawzrider83

man where do you live.....i guess a gp100 is an assault pistol...lol
Old January 6, 2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Smit

Being that it's Gander Mountain, they're prices have always seemed a little steep to me. The recent events certainly do not help that situation.
Old January 6, 2013, 01:02 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

GM bailed out.....

The big Gander Mountain location in the upscale suburbs where I live claims to be the largest gun shop in the state.

I ordered a few products from them by printed catalog in the 1990s but never online or in the retail store.
There's a huge Bass Pro Shop near me too. They always had a lot of stuff I'd buy but I remember handgun rounds being low or out of stock(.45acp 9mm .40S&W etc). This was around 2009.

Clyde
Old January 6, 2013, 01:16 PM   #5
sig1

I have heard that they will match prices with other shops, i dont know if it is true though.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
Old January 6, 2013, 01:18 PM   #6
outlawzrider83

you guys need to come to PARK CENTER SPORTING GOODS in rainelle west virginia...great store and good prices they have gp100's for 550.00 thats the stainless ones..
Old January 7, 2013, 01:20 AM   #7
TennJed

I have been to Gander Mountain two times. Both times I walked out thinking I had never seen such high prices. I cn't remember specifics but they were prices that were way out of line. I think that is just SOP for Gander. Also the reloading supplies were absurd.

However, both times I found good deals on clothing on the bargin rack.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:23 AM   #8
west5757

I got some gift cards at Christmas for Gander and I got them to order a Redfield scope for me. I usually only buy from them if it is an item I have to have now but being as I had the gift cards I was forced to go there. I did ask about price matching and I was told they would match.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:06 AM   #9
Xfire68

GM is another store I avoid because of the crazy prices. It would be one thing if they were the only place to go in a 150miles but there is a Cabelas within 10 miles that prices there stuff at a high but much more reasonable rate.

Bass Pro Shops is another I won't waste my gas money on. Prices for some of the items I was looking for were almost 50% higher than Cabels. Going from memory 2 years ago a can of Hornady One Shot was $12.95 at BPS and it was $6.99 at Cabelas.

I think these "Outfitting Stores" need to stop spending so much money on Deer, Elk and Bear mounts and lower the prices!
Old January 7, 2013, 01:21 PM   #10
Mystro

Dics should be avoided because of their political position they took by removing "assault type weapons". What a joke.....Let them make their money selling field hockey sticks. They will never get another dime from my family.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old January 7, 2013, 01:27 PM   #11
BillyJack3

Where did Dick's Sporting Goods come into this conversation?

As far as Gander, yes, they have high prices. A buddy of mine does get them to work with him on pricing when he goes. He picks up a couple guns a year from them. Never hurts to ask. Also, their sale prices typically bring them to where they need to be. I have a couple of pistols that I've picked up from them on sale and they have one of the best selections around here.

Also, they just got 18 AR-15s in the other day. There was a line out the door at the open and they were all sold in 10 minutes. Limit of 2 per person. The great thing was that they didn't jack anything up to panic prices. M&P Sport went for $779 or something like that while at the same time, people 20 minutes away at the gun show were paying $1200 - $1600 for the same AR.
Old January 7, 2013, 01:58 PM   #12
KMAX

I went to GM twice and bought something, don't remember what, but it sure wasn't a gun. I was astounded at the price of some of their guns that I knew the prices of elsewhere. I ordered a couple of things from GM in the mid 70s. I don't even know if they had brick and mortar stores back then. The mail order stuff was not expensive as I remember it, but that was about 40 years ago.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old January 7, 2013, 02:13 PM   #13
ClydeFrog

prices for handguns......

In general, with today's economy, a Ruger GP 100 .357magnum should retail around $450-500.00 USD, $550.00 maybe for a 6" barrel model.
Anything more is just mark up, IMO. Smith & Wesson prices for DA revolvers are way out of line too. $700-900.00 USD for a DA revolver that would have been about half that in 2000 or 1995. That's outrageous!
Many new shooters or gun buyers(and there are a lot due to the surge in sales) want a name. Since Colt no longer produces the highly respected Python line or other models(Detective, Agent, Police, Trooper, etc), S&W gets the market.
Rugers are a better value IMO but few people know about the GPs or SP101s that aren't into firearms/shooting sports.

I think it's a metal & fabrication issue too. A factory worker must use more ordanance grade steel or spend more time/labor making a DA revolver than a semi auto pistol, so these US companies feel they can charge more.

Clyde
Old January 7, 2013, 03:42 PM   #14
CPO15

I bought a S&W PC revolver from GM in early November only because my LGSs couldn't get it from their distributors and GM could get it. Full MSRP from the S&W website.

Aside from GM getting me the gun, I also felt free to refuse the gun if it presented any issues, something I wouldn't do to my LGS on a gun special ordered for me.

So, based on availability, and right of refusal; GM met my needs.

But, based on price; they stink.

I'll probably buy from them again given the same circumstances.
Old January 7, 2013, 04:14 PM   #15
west5757

I get the sale flyer for Gander and have noticed that their sale prices almost get down to the gun shop prices. I have never tried to price match on a gun because if I find it somewhere else for the same price I would rather buy it there anyway.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:24 PM   #16
Mystro

Because most people that will frequent one will frequent the other. These big stores have a lot in common.

Quote:

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old January 7, 2013, 06:28 PM   #17
Ozzieman

I think it’s a good addition. Since we’re bad mouthing large department stores like Gander you should bring in Dic’s. I have purchased a lot from Dic’s (shoes and cloths) and like Mystro I will NEVER spend another dime there and another reason I only do business with MidwayUSA. Not everyone knows the cowards that Dic’s has become and TFL does believe in free speech as long as you follow rules.
The last time I purchased anything from GM was several years ago when they had a sale on 9mm (6.50$ a box) and 45 ACP (11$ a box) and took all they had.
I went GM last week, all the gun stores were out of what I use for carry. The sale consisted of 100 rounds of Federal (practice ammo) and 20 round of Hydra shock.
Does anyone here consider the above at 85$ to be a sale?

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:30 PM   #18
Jo6pak

I was in GM last week, just killing time. They had a plain jane 9mm CZ75 for $769
Old January 7, 2013, 10:17 PM   #19
spanishjames

Quote:
I think these "Outfitting Stores" need to stop spending so much money on Deer, Elk and Bear mounts and lower the prices!
I agree. And don't forget the indoor waterfalls, and giant fish tanks. On the other hand, if they took all that away, the wife and kid's won't want to come along.
Old January 8, 2013, 04:56 PM   #20
ClydeFrog

GM parking lot break in....

If you travel to Bass Pro Shop, Cabelas or Gander Mountain, be very careful about storing/leaving firearms in your motor vehicle.
A local GM location near me had a reported break-in & a pistol was taken.
The local PD said a few auto break-ins were reported in the area and it may be the same subjects.
Crooks like to target vehicles where they may get a firearm or high value item(s).
As a hotel/resort security officer, I saw many pick-ups, work vans & SUVs filled with tools, computers, cameras, weapons, etc. Guests drink or get lax then worry about security. By then it's to late.
Be smart!

Clyde
Old January 8, 2013, 05:17 PM   #21
BillyJack3

I wouldn't ever compare Gander to Dick's. Gander is expanding their firearm selection as well as ammo. They are also expanding a lot of stores to include live fire, virtual and virtual situation ranges. Gander is high priced but not gouging or inflating due to any kind of panic.

Dick's on the other hand used a tragic event to discontinue selling the AR15 AND cancelled THOUSANDS of orders from a sale on Troy AR15 Carbines that customers had already paid for. This was pre-panic. By the time customers were notified, we were well into panic buying and AR's more than doubled in price leaving all those that thought they had an AR out in the cold.

Yes, both are large stores but completely different stances on firearms and customer satisfaction.
Old January 8, 2013, 07:36 PM   #22
cdbeagle

Cabela's, GM and Bass Pro all within easy driving distance of my home. I flat out don't buy firearms from them and very little ammo. I buy my firearms online for hundreds of dollars less. The only firearm I've bought from any of the aforementioned stores was a Weatherby SA-08 Youth for my daughter last summer. It was NIB with a small ding on the stock and was marked down from $600.00 to $319.00 at Cabela's. There is a regional chain where I live called Academy and for some reason they have the best price anywhere on a select few firearms. I've purchased a Browning Buckmark, Marlin Model 60 and 336W from them for less than I could anywhere including online. My daughter's boyfriend also purchased a Sig P238 for the lowest price we could find anywhere from them.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:55 PM   #23
L_Killkenny

Ya, the big box stores have guns 20% or more higher than I can get them at gun shows and even worse if you compare them to online sales. But they don't cater to folk like me. They want the buyer who wants to handle a bunch of guns and break out plenty of money for em. In reality it's a better business model and if you go look they are having as much trouble keeping guns in stock as the next guy. If they can get it than I'm fine with it. Just won't be from me.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:32 PM   #24
Justice06RR

Most big box stores like Gander, BassPro, Dicks, etc will be overpriced because they sell at MSRP. You should not be surprised.

The local Gander in my area has prices similar to gun shows and some shops. Glocks 9mm were $550 and AR's were $1400. thats not too bad actually...
Old January 8, 2013, 10:17 PM   #25
1hogfan83

Academy has some ok prices with their firearms and SD ammo. I check wally and the LGS first but they're not to far off with most things. They built a new cabelas up the road, their prices are out of this world! I was looking at guns before I bought my HK, they had a P30, $1099!!!! What idiot would buy a gun there? They have ok ammo prices, sometimes, but this was stupid. I felt like putting up a sign that said, I know "somebody", come with me! You'll get a cheap gun and I'll get a free gun! They have a large selection, I go to pick up, get a feel of the gun, and I go to the store across the street and buy. My daughter likes to look at the fish too.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee