The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 28, 2002, 10:30 AM   #1
Lavan

Seems all reloading presses have stopped advertising..

But...I am in market for one. I remember seeing one (or some) that allowed changing calibers and being able to leave the dies in the turret so you could switch without having to reset dies.

What do you recommend?

Want progressive for .45 and .38 primarily.

P.S. Anyone else notice fewer ads for presses lately?
Old August 28, 2002, 11:15 AM   #2
sricciardelli

The most likely reason for magazine advertisements being on the decline is that magazine subscriptions are on the decline!

It has gotten to the point that no one is buying hobby magazines anymore, regardless of the hobby.

When you buy a magazine and find that all the "honest" evaluations of a product just happen to give tht product a A++++ rating, and then three pages later find a 5-page spread advertising the very same product, you have to wonder about the honesty of the evaluator!

The latest magazine I looked into was 139 pages, of that was 87 pages of "commercial advertisements". The "evaluation" pages gave every product an outstanding rating, even though the facts and pictures told a different story. A handgun that managed to get 5-shot, 6 inch groups at 10 yards was rated "excellent". (Price of this firearm was $800!)

Another handgun which had the honor of being rated "excellent" was a mess to look at. The wood/metal finish sucked, and the color of the barrel was different from the color of the cylinder, and they were both a different color from the frame!

A rifle which managed 3", 3-shot groups at 100 yards was rated as "excellent" in the accuracy department!

With this type of tripe many honest hobbiests have cancelled subscriptions or not even bothered to take the ragazine off the rack at the news stand!

And magazine ads are not cheap!

As for what you should buy? You want progressive? Go for any of the "Big Three" ... Dillon, RCBS or Hornady. Depends on how much you wanna spend, and if your favorite color is blue, green or red.
Old August 28, 2002, 11:20 AM   #3
Lavan

Any specific model numbers? Price less important than ease of use and durability.
I would rather spend more and be happy than go bargain hunting and wish I had a different one in 6 months.

However, I don't plan production rates. Just good, fast, personal loading.
Old August 28, 2002, 12:06 PM   #4
stans

I have the RCBS AmmoMaster. After I set it up and learned how to use it properly, it has done nothing but turn out great ammo. I am a little biased, since I have always had good luck with RCBS products.
Old August 28, 2002, 12:22 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

www.dillonprecision.com

Sam
Old August 28, 2002, 01:00 PM   #6
DAL

sricciardelli, I have no doubt you are exactly right about the integrity of the magazines. Plus, there sure seem to be a heck of a lot of 'em out there for sale, but there's not a whole lot of differentiation between them. You can often see the same guns reviewed within 60 days in several magazines.

Eventually, there is going to have to be a shakeout in the gun rag industry. Maybe that will be bring in some honesty to the industry, but I'm not putting money on it.
DAL

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."
--Patrick Henry, during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)

"When citizens fear their government, you have tyranny; when the government fears its citizens, you have freedom."
--Thomas Jefferson

GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, ARI, NRA
Old August 28, 2002, 01:43 PM   #7
sricciardelli

DAL...

It just isn't gun ragazines! It is all hobby magazines...

My other hobbies are photography, 4x4ing, computer, audio/video and automobiles. It is the same for all of them.

When a 4-cylinder, 85 horsepower rollerskate get a "Car Of The Year" award...you just gotta start wondering.

Or when something that is neither a pickup, nor an SUV, get the "SUV Of The Year" award...what for?

Buy a lens today that is rated "excellent" in all features and qualities, and in two weeks it is discontinued?

Again, magazines are geared towards their advertisers and not their readers. Magazine ads cost tons of money, the internet is free!
Old August 28, 2002, 03:09 PM   #8
C.R.Sam

Steve just grouped em all in the X ring.

There is more USSEFUL information on his website than in a box full of magazines.

Sam
Old August 28, 2002, 09:10 PM   #9
WESHOOT2

OR

Single-stage = Forster/Bonanza Co-Ax

Turret = Redding, RCBS, or Lyman

Progressive = Dillon XL650
Old August 28, 2002, 10:31 PM   #10
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Lavan,

After 30++ years of reloading on an RCBS Rockchucker, The Wife allowed me to buy a progressive. Chose a Dillon 550 'cause of its great rep, bare bones enough while still doing everything I could want out of it.

I'm sure most of us have that brand loyalty complex, if you can call it that, & some won't admit that they made a mistake (ego thing) if they aren't all that happy with what they ended up with.

Many like "the others" of the Big 3 & mostly for good reasons.

A bit of reseach into each should give you the ins & outs of features that you'd most like to have - probablly each is somewhat of a compromise regards the other 2.

If you've got the full caliber conversion, Dillon's tool head switches out with the pull of two pins, disconnect the powder measure linkage, & switch out the shell holder plate (don't forget that l'il set screw!). Bump a couple empty cases at the powder dispenser to make certain of proper powder weight, run 1/2 dozen through for correct die settings (shouldn't have changed) & off you go.

One thing you'll run into going from .38 to .45 is the primer tube - different sizes (diameters) - & the primer, uhm .... , slidey-deal that stages 'em under the sizer die. I haven't switched 'em out yet so can't comment on ease of that.

Going from, say 9mm to .357/.38 takes about 10 minutes to be back in business.
Old August 29, 2002, 01:06 AM   #11
larryw

I bought a Dillon 550B in April. During that time, I plugged a primer tube, they sent a new one, broke a decapping pin, they sent a new one, and wore out the powder measure body (I shoot a lot: 7500 rounds, most of it 45ACP, plus some 30-06 and 223). The sent a new one. All no charge and very fast.

They happily answer questions, even "stupid" ones.

I'm sure the other presses are very high quality, but I'm sold on Dillon because of their no questions asked support policies. You may pay more up front, but in the long run, you come out ahead.
Old August 29, 2002, 06:27 AM   #12
DAL

C.R. Sam, you are exactly right about Steve R.'s website--it is fantastic! It's a true labor of love, and entertaining to boot.

SR, how in the world do you find time for so many hobbies? I'm lucky if I can squeeze in a few hours a week for gun/shooting related activities without incurring the wrath of the wife. (She's been on a home improvement kick for the last year.)

Yes, I guess the integrity issue in magazines runs the gamut of interests. I can't even remember reading something truly negative about a product in any specialty magazine, except for Gun Tests and Consumer Reports (which, IIRC, is anti-gun).

labgrade, I just bought the materials (at least I hope I have everything I need) to convert my .38/.357 Dillon SDB to .45 ACP. I sure hope I don't screw it up, 'cause it works perfectly now.
DAL

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."
--Patrick Henry, during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)

"When citizens fear their government, you have tyranny; when the government fears its citizens, you have freedom."
--Thomas Jefferson

GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, ARI, NRA
Old August 30, 2002, 08:00 AM   #13
RemVssf

Go Dillon !! Go DILLON ...
Have a Dillon 550B that started out as a 550. Have 3 die heads & sets, 308 Win, 45ACP and 367Mag. Yessir the 650 is faster but not better. I want quality over quantity and I know they state you can load XX number of rounds but ... I want XX number of rounds that are JUST THE SAME !! Works for me.

No good deed ever goes un-punished. This just goes to prove that, " A thousand Atta-boys can and will be wiped out by one, AW- Crap !"
Old August 30, 2002, 09:58 AM   #14
Steve Smith

A different POV

I am a Dillon 550 B owner. While the press has worked very, very well for me, The new Hornady LNL progressive seems to have used Dillon thinking and added a few more bells and whistles. I especially like the 5th station and the LNL system. The LNL system will make adding new calibers considerably cheaper than using the toolhead design of the Dillon. Just a thought.

FWIW, Dillon has been amazing when it comes to service.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member