The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 28, 2011, 11:10 AM   #1
rsegreto

Help Identifying Old Rifle

Hello, I received a rifle from my Grandmother and I have no idea what type or where it is from. I was wondering if some of you would be able to take a look at these pictures to help me identify this.

To me it looks like a smooth bore non military issue since there the top of the barrel has a lot of engraved detail including a star design (see picture). It also has a hidden compartment in the stock behind the gold shield which might be for the blasting caps? (if that's even the correct term lol)

I have a few more images but it would only let me upload 3. Please let me know if any other angle / image would help and I'll upload more.

Thanks for your help,
-Russ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-12-28_10-36-14_579.jpg (247.9 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-12-28_10-36-47_32.jpg (247.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-12-28_10-37-14_523.jpg (244.1 KB, 87 views)
Old December 28, 2011, 01:22 PM   #2
hivel37

That's a beautiful piece. Since it has sights, it would be a surprise if it's a smoothbore.

Appears to be a Hawken pattern. Correct term would be percussion cap.

Those more knowledgeable than I may identify the maker if you have more pics of any markings around the lock.
Old December 28, 2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

It's not military. It's a cap lock (they're called percussion caps, blasting caps are FAR more powerful and used to set off dynamite). From the looks of it it should be a rifle given the double triggers. The rifling may just be hard to see.

The "shield" on the stock with the compartmnet is either a grease box or a patch box for storing either grease for patches, or for storing a supply of pre greased patches.

The greased patch went around the ball and sealed the bore. The grease also helped soften powder fouling, giving more shots between cleanings.

It appears that there is some lettering on the lock plate around the hammer. Knowing what that is would help to identify the rifle.

Finally, I'm going to move this to the blackpowder section. A lot of knowledgeable people over there may have a better idea as to what you have.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 28, 2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Pahoo

What a nice piece !!!

Just love these old guys and could you indulge us by posting more pictures. I seriously doubt that it's a smooth bore but I could be wrong. It's entirely possible that you may never know who made it. Look closer at the "lock", that is the assembly that has the hammer on it and let us know what you see. I also feel that the ramrod is not original but still vintage. Thank for your post and Grandfather. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old December 28, 2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

Deleted by Hoy. Bad gouge

Deleted.

My mind is playing tricks on me.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; December 28, 2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old December 28, 2011, 02:16 PM   #6
mykeal

You might post the question on The Muzzleloading Forum; they have a section dedicated to research and help in identifying muzzloading guns. This link will get you to the forum, but you'll need to register to post. You can also use my personal referral link: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fu...eferral/10540/
Note that I get personal referral credits if you use the latter link.

Another option is to post the question on the American Long Rifle forum: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?

Both forums have lots of members who are expert in identifying old firearms.
Old December 28, 2011, 03:37 PM   #7
rsegreto

Thanks for the quick replies! I do not see any letters on the lock plate, rather a small design which looks like feathers or vines of sorts.

I did however find some writing on the inside of the cover in the stock. It's hard to read but I can make out "Eagle Rifle Works" I believe. Also something like "colcher" above where Eagle is written. I have attached a picture of what I found.

Thanks again for all your help!

mykeal - I followed your link for the muzzleloading forum thanks. I'll be posting on there as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-12-28_15-33-37_274.jpg (245.5 KB, 47 views)
Old December 28, 2011, 03:40 PM   #8
dev_null

James Golcher, Eagle Rifle Works.

See, for another example, here: http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/for...howtopic=26190
Old December 28, 2011, 04:43 PM   #9
illus1on

Very beautifull peice of firearm history!! ill be following this thread! i love looking at pictures of these babys!

Also i wanted to say congrats for getting yourself such a pretty peice!
Old December 29, 2011, 08:28 AM   #10
Hawg

Golcher was a lock maker not a gun builder. His locks were used by many gun builders and are even reproduced today.