The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2011, 09:01 PM   #1
UncleLoodis

Load Data for Berry's with Bluedot and/or Unique

Greetings.

I am new to reloading. I bought some Berry's .38 125 gr. FN bullets and would like to load some light plinking to medium strength .38 spcl. rounds. I have some BlueDot and Unique powder, CCI primers. I intend on shooting them in my S&W 686. I read on Berry's site (I think it was there) that one can use the same load data as uncoated cast bullets. However, at this point the only reloading manual I have is Lyman's, and I'm not sure which bullet they list (if any) is close enough to the Berry's bullets I intend to use.

Does anyone have some tested load data (using BlueDot or Unique)?

And, if I may, I have another question which relates to the above: Should I purchase a (chonometer?...measures the speed of the bullet) so I can test my FPS, and if so, does anyone have recommendations? I plan to do this a lot, as I love to target shoot, so I'd rather spend the money up front and get a good model.

Thanks in advance for your reply(s), and please have a great 4th of July.

UL
Old July 1, 2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Uncle Buck

Welcome UncleLoodis.

Berry makes a good bullet and once you start shooting them, I betcha gonna be happy with the result. (You'll seen the owner of Berry MFG on here from time to time also.)

I have shot a few of the Berry bullets in my .38, but nothing so light as the 125gr. Looking through my load recipe cards I could not find anything that would help you. Try going to the websites of the powder manufacturer and see what you can scratch up there.

With the .38 Special, I use the rule of thumb that, if it looks close to what I have, I use that data and start low. (You can not use this rule of thumb on 9mm or .40 cal rounds, the cases are too small and you run the risk of over pressure.)

Find a bullet design close to what you have (Weight and appearance), get the load data and then reduce the starting load by 10%. Work your way up to find the load you have.

I would also get another reloading manual. More selection, more information. I think most of us have at least three or four manuals.
Old July 1, 2011, 07:52 AM   #3
PawPaw

The 686 is a .357 magnum. Are you going to load these bullets in .357 brass or .38 Special? It makes a difference, a huge difference.

Either way, the Alliant site is a good place to go for data on those two powders. You probably won't find the exact bullet data, but find something that's close, start low and work up.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 1, 2011, 08:36 AM   #4
UncleLoodis

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies!

I plan on getting some more loading manuals soon; I'm out quite a bit for the reloading equipment...got a Dillon 650 plus a couple extra heads/die sets/etc.

I plan on shooting them in .38 spcl brass. My first (and only) batch of reloads so far was some .38/.357, using Hornady bullets in Winchester .357 brass ...kind of spendy for what I really want to do a lot of the time, which is to plink. Yah, I imagine there would be some different pressures built between the two sizes of brass. I was reading here about the different pressures/space ratios...someone was talking about a certain kind of powder and how careful you had to be with it.

Again, thanks for the info!
Old July 4, 2011, 01:20 AM   #5
LAlineman

For a Nice Chronograph , Go to : cedhk.com Nice products at reasonable prices. I have the Model M2, works great !
Old July 4, 2011, 06:24 AM   #6
PA-Joe

There have been some concerns with using bluedot and light bullets. A lot of the manufacturers have stopped posting such loads.