The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 18, 2008, 06:28 PM   #1
Chris D

Lee Pro 1000 or Load Master?

I have found both of these as a ready to run kit for the .45ACP

Besides one being more expensive, what would be bette? And I do want to also load .223. Not sure if either will, the lee site only lists hangun calibbers for both.

I'm thinking the cheaper kit, but if it comes with more, I'll spend the extra.

Also I cant find a list of what it comes with, so what else would I need?

Thanks for putting up with me...
Old December 18, 2008, 07:04 PM   #2
rwilson452

With the Loadmaster,

as a ready to run kit the only things you will need to add to the press to do .223 is a perfect powder measure, shell plate, small primer feeder and of course dies. I would also highly suggest you get an extra turret or 3. I think you would be better off getting a scale other than the lee scale. If you ask the outfit that is selling the kit I suspect they will tell you what is in the kit.
the press is big enough to load 30-06 but I don't do it on mine. it's strictly large run pistol stuff. I go somewhat anal retentive with my rifle loads every round get much TLC.

as for the 1000 I never had one of those so someone else will need to strike the bell.

Quote:
Lee Pro 1000 or Load Master?
I have found both of these as a ready to run kit for the .45ACP

Besides one being more expensive, what would be bette? And I do want to also load .223. Not sure if either will, the lee site only lists hangun calibbers for both.

I'm thinking the cheaper kit, but if it comes with more, I'll spend the extra.

Also I cant find a list of what it comes with, so what else would I need?
Old December 20, 2008, 02:07 AM   #3
totalloser

5 holes on the Loadmaster. That's the main difference. I use the extra spots for a lube/decap in #1 so the sizer goes over the priming, and the extra #5 for factory crimp. Basically the LM gives you a little more flexibility.

I believe the only things I needed other than the shell plates/dies to convert to .223 was a double disc for the powder measure, rifle charging die for the powder drop, and a different shell feeder. The case collator is a good idea, too. If I recall correctly, it came with the powder measure, and pretty much everything needed for .40 (the kit I ordered) other than the case collator which is REALLY nice to have.
Old December 20, 2008, 11:33 PM   #4
the machinist

I have used the pro 1000 for years on 44mag. now i'm running .223 with no problems..
Old December 23, 2008, 02:16 PM   #5
jsflagstad

I think they are both good, I have a Loadmaster and I like it. I have not used a Pro 1000 so I cant speak too much for it but have heard they work.

"Is your rifle interesting? -Larry Potterfield
Old December 23, 2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Starvingboy

Loadmaster

I have a pro-1000, and I'll trade anyone out there even up for a loadmaster. Having the extra holes and room to expand is worth it in my opinion. I like my pro, it works well for me, but I think I'm out growing it.
Old December 23, 2008, 08:14 PM   #7
jsflagstad

The Loadmaster is really a lot of press for the money. Plent there to really get your feet wet I was thinking of getting another one and keep one setup for larger primers and brass and one for small primers and brass.

"Is your rifle interesting? -Larry Potterfield
Old December 24, 2008, 09:45 AM   #8
crazylegs

I've never used the 1000, but I have a LM and love it. It's been a great press and turns out good ammo lickety split.
Crazylegs
Old June 28, 2011, 02:48 AM   #9
WyrTwister

Case Feeder

Do any of the people loading .223 on the P1000 or LM use the case feeder ? If so , please fill us in on it ?

I pre-process range brass , in .223 . Clean , de-prime and sort for crimped primers .

Since I have more than 1 AR , I do the first sizing with a SB sizing die .

Process the crimped primer pockets & trim to length those that need it .

Then I would think , finish up on the progressive ?

I have had my LM for less than a week , still learning . So far I have only loaded .38 Special .

God bless
Wyr
Old June 28, 2011, 07:57 AM   #10
l98ster

Never used the loadmaster, but I had the pro 1000 bfore I bought my Dillon. Overall, for the money its not bad. The money you save on the press is going to be spent on aspirin for the headaches you will get trying to get the primers to fed correctly.

Again, fo the money, it performs adequitly. The main problems are:

1) Primer feed: the primer feed on the pro1000 is by far the worst feature the machine has. Only on the rarest occasions would it work smoothly for about 100 rounds. Most of my time spent reloading with that machine was messing with the primers.

2) The powder measure using the disc system: It actually worked well, but did not allow for precision tuning of powder. At best, you can get .5 grain increments, when my level of precision was calling for .1 grain increments. However, you can live with it. For about 15 bucks, you can buy the universal charge bar for it, and have the precision flexibility.

Other than that, I had a couple of slight timing issues (its an auto indexing progressive), but nothing to be concerned with. The case feeder worked really well (get the case collator!!!).

Overall, for the money, its something that will serve you fairly well. The reason I bought my Dillon 550 is because of the primer issues with the pro1000. Havent had a single hiccup in close to 50,000 rounds with my dillon so far. Great machine and even better customer service!!

-George
Old June 28, 2011, 08:00 AM   #11
l98ster

BTW, I want to add one last thing. If you go with the pro1000, make sure you kep it CLEAN. the slightest residue of powder in the primer system, and everything goes to hell. A can of compressed air will be your best friend!!

-George
Old July 1, 2011, 10:45 AM   #12
WyrTwister

LoadMaster

I picked the LM for 2 reasons .

1 - Looks like the P1000 is bases on the design of the die cast Lee turret press . I had one of the latter & we did not 100% get along ( probably 1st generation version ? ) .

2 - I have been using the 4 hole Lee cast iron turret press . It is a great press and a fantastic value . I did not want to go back to using a 3 hole turret , after using the 4 hole turret in the cast iron turret press . The LM has a 5 hole turret . If you are going to use a Lee FCD , a 3 hole turret is not going to get you there .

God bless
Wyr
Old July 3, 2011, 07:24 AM   #13
Murdock

Just wanted to contribute that my experience parallels that of 198ster in every detail, except I went with a Dillon 650 instead of the 550. The Lee P1000 is a good buy for the money but ya gotta be patient.
Old July 3, 2011, 12:31 PM   #14
Jim243

The Loadmaster is the much better value, but costs more.

Jim
Old July 3, 2011, 02:04 PM   #15
sc928porsche

I had a buddy that used the 1000 and we used it for years. I bought the loadmaster and it wasnt long before my buddy purchaced one for himself. The loadmaster is a much stronger press and has more stations to make it more versitile.