The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 5, 2009, 08:49 PM   #1
mrappe

Loading BP in metalic cartridges

Back in 1995 when I first got interested in CAS I got a book 'Cowboy Action Shooting' by Charly Gullett. It described loading BP in metalic cartridges. I was toying with the idea since I am more of a history buff and gun tinker than a competive shooter but I never did take the plunge. After a few years my son was shooting with me so I was loading 32-20,38-40,44-40 and 45LC and buying 38spc (too plentiful to load) so I did not want to also get involved with the BP loading. Lately I have been getting interested in CAS again
(not since 2001) and I have also been thinking about loading BP and shooting my C&B pistols. Do we have anyone in the fourm that loads metalic cartridges? I am just looking for some opinions as to what it would take to keep the powder residue softened without contaminating the powder before shooting.

Thank You,
Mike
Old May 5, 2009, 09:15 PM   #2
ClemBert

Use bullets with bullet grooves that have BP friendly lube in the grooves.

For example: Bullets with SPG lube

Last edited by ClemBert; May 5, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old May 5, 2009, 09:22 PM   #3
B.L.E.

SPG bullet lube is a favorite among black powder cartriage shooters.

"SPG" are the initials of the guy who invented the lube, Steven Garbe.
Old May 5, 2009, 09:32 PM   #4
scrat

spg is the best
Old May 6, 2009, 03:45 AM   #5
Hawg

I cast my own bullets and lube with a beeswax/crisco mix.
Old May 6, 2009, 06:38 AM   #6
darkgael

grease cookie

A common practice that BPCR shooters use to keep fouling soft (and SPG lube is the best) is to insert a "grease cookie" between the powder charge and the bullet. The most common "grease" is simply a wafer or disc of pure beeswax cut with a punch and placed between two 0.030" wads.
I was just looking through an old copy of "The Black Powder Cartridge News" and read through the equipment used in the match results section. Of the 16 who mentioned the lube that they used, 8 used SPG. Other lubes used were Dalmatian, Hansen, Kinnikinnick.
In addition - making (or buying) and using a blowtube is a common method for keeping fouling soft.
Pete
Old May 6, 2009, 06:46 AM   #7
CaptainCrossman

Mike,

I have loaded a few hundred rounds of 44 Colt BP cartridges and fired them through my Colt 1861 conversion pistol replica. BP is easy to reload. Basically top off the cases with powder using 2F or 3F, and press the bullet in. 3F is finer grains and will result in higher velocity/pressure. You could also substitute pyrodex and get a little more velocity, which I've done. I never tried H777 yet. I also loaded up a box of 303 British rifle cartridges with blackpowder and those fired well but lower velocity. Basically you could reload any cartridge with blackpowder, the resulting velocity and pressure will be lower, but downside is the gun will get dirty and have to be cleaned more thoroughly.