The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 11, 2013, 07:24 PM   #1
bonefamily

Poly Pocket 380

Hello everyone. I'm looking to pick up a poly, pocket 380 (for pocket carry) and would like to hear your experiences and recommendations of the following:

Kel Tec P-3AT
Ruger LCP
Taurus TCP
Masterpiece Arms 380
Diamondback DB380
I.O. Hellcat II

I have read bad reviews about both the Diamondback and I.O., but I haven't read anything since the Hellcat is on its 2nd generation (hence the II), and that Diamondback has been working some on their 380. Also, if I missed any please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by bonefamily; February 11, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:07 PM   #2
kayakersteve

I have the LCP and it is my go to pocket gun.....light, compact and reliable!
Old February 11, 2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

My Elsie Pea has been flawless since I first bought it about 4 years ago. It has never malfunctioned, and is as accurate as can be expected for what it is, and that's plenty accurate for the close up work it is intended for. Regardless of what else I may carry, Elsie is there.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 11, 2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Billy Shears

I've had very good experiences with both the Ruger LCP and the S&W Bodyguard 380.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:39 PM   #5
franco45

Another LCP fan here. I also owned a TCP that was a nice little pocket gun. My first pocket 380 was the DB380. I would never recommend a Diamondback after that experience.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:07 PM   #6
DATL

I too have heard too many spotty things about DB. That sucks though because I love how thin and simple they are. I went with my cousin last year to pick up his DB9. I know it's not the .380, but it would do the weirdest thing- the gun would chamber a round fine, but you couldn't eject an un-fired round out of the chamber without firing it. If you just cycled the slide it would not grab/eject the unspent round. We took it back and the gun shop said they had been hit or miss.

The LCP feels a little better to me than the Kel-tec in fit/finish. I think you should shoot both if you can! Let us know what you think!

I don't know about the others.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:19 PM   #7
TennJed

I have owned and shot the first 4 you listed. I think the Taurus is the best. Best ergos, slide lock, most accurate, least recoil (all IMHO),

The masterpiece arms is also great. It is tiny, but it only holds 5 rounds. Mine has been flawless in 100 rounds. The porting makes the recoil very manageable. After i put it through its motion, it may prove to be the best of the bunch

Here is a pic of one by a Kel Tec P3AT to show you how small it is. It is basically the same size as the seecamp

Last edited by TennJed; February 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:35 PM   #8
michael t

I have 5 of the KelTecs 3 in 32 for the ladies in house and the 380 and PF-9 for me .

these 3 I would leave alone

Masterpiece Arms 380
Diamondback DB380
I.O. Hellcat II
Old February 12, 2013, 12:24 AM   #9
bonefamily

Thanks for the replies everyone. So far, the DB is out as that sounds like a pretty convincing story to stay away from.

I have read somewhere that Ruger lightened the trigger pull a bit on the LCP, yes? I thougt it was originally an approx. 9lb pull but was very recently lightened. Anyone else here confirm this, and to how much it was lightened by?

TennJed - I know hand size is very subjective from shooter to shooter, but can you get a two finger hold on the Masterpiece Arms or just a one finger hold? The grip does look short, and the fact that it is a 5 round magazine reflects this. Thanks.
Old February 12, 2013, 01:00 AM   #10
TennJed

Bryan,

I can get 2 fingers, but I have a small, small hand. If you want super small deep concealment it would be a good option, but honestly the others are small enough to conceal easy, so if you have large hands you might want to go with one of the others.

But, I do want to say the Masterpiece Arms is a high quality gun. If it fits your hand check it out. It suprised me with the accuracy and recoil. I have the 2nd gen which is ported and it seems to make a difference. It is a very shootable gun.

I have not had it long, but if it stays reliable it will be my pocket gun. I primarly carry a Sig P290 IWB, but if I need a small pocket gun, this may soon be that go to gun.

It is actually not a poly gun, it is milled from a solid block of steel. Again I am impressed with the quality
Old February 12, 2013, 01:32 AM   #11
9mm

Kel Tec P-3AT no
Ruger LCP yes
Taurus TCP no
Masterpiece Arms 380 never heard of, so noDiamondback DB380 no no no no no taurus is betterI.O. Hellcat II no no no no no taurus is better
Sig p238 better choice.

This group IMO target guns only, though some people like the taurus, I am not fan of a $199.99 380.
Quote:
Kel Tec P-3AT
Taurus TCP
Masterpiece Arms 380
Diamondback DB380
I.O. Hellcat II
Old February 12, 2013, 03:53 AM   #12
marineman

Of the ones listed, the only one I own is the Kel Tec. When I was shopping I handled the P3AT, the Ruger LCP, and the S&W Bodyguard. Bodyguard actually felt best in my hand but the bulky front end with that laser didn't work for my needs. Between the Kel Tec and the Ruger; the Ruger by far had better fit and finish but the Kel Tec fit my hand better. My Kel Tec is ugly, probably the worst fit and finish of any gun I own but it fits my hand perfect and has gone bang every time I wanted it to and never when I didn't so far, that's good enough for my uses.
Old February 12, 2013, 03:55 AM   #13
Gazpacho

I don't like pocket carry guns with an exposed or recessed hammer. If you look at the back of the slide of the Ruger and Keltec, you will see a slot where the hammer resides. This is an extra area where pocket lint and other debris can enter the gun an possibly cause a failure. Granted, this is an unlikely scenario, but it can happen.

I prefer true striker fired guns like the Kahr P380. I noticed that this gun is not on your poly list. While expensive, it is an excellent gun, and you should consider it.
Old February 12, 2013, 10:25 AM   #14
bonefamily

Thanks for the opinions, experiences, and stories to all.

Yes, the Sig and Kahr are not on the list as they are out of my price range. I wanted to know if I missed any to be sure I covered all available that I could afford - which is in $300 ball park. I have read nothing but great things about the Sig P238 and the Kahr P380, but not at this time for me.

So for now it is still looking like the LCP is nudging out the P-3AT a tad, and the DB and I.O. are way behind. The Masterpiece Arms could still be a choice if I could find one in stock to try on for size...
Old February 12, 2013, 10:43 AM   #15
Armybrat

It isn't hard to clean the pocket lint o of an LCP or a Keltec, especially if you turn your pocket inside out once in a while & shake it out.

I carry my LCP in a Desantis Nemesis whenever my pants are on, and there's very little buildup - which just gets blown out as needed. Then clean the gun on occasion.

Never a malfunction in the 4 years I've owned it.
Old February 12, 2013, 10:56 AM   #16
rlc323

A vote here for the LCP. Just got one and so far so good. The trigger pull is a bit long but easy to get used to. Ruger reputation and the slim look made the sale. Also a variety of aftermarket recoil spring choices. Only negative is the sights, or lack of them. But not a big deal for what the gun is made for. I degreased the area and then took a tiny artist paint brush and used white acrylic paint on the back of the front sight and it helped a lot. How long it will stay is another question.

Only one magazine comes with it in the box but Midway has OEM spares at a real good price with the finger extension included.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:08 AM   #17
Spammy_H

I've got the TCP, and it's been a surprisingly good gun to shoot, and obviously really easy to carry. The sights are practically worthless.

However, I think that the Ruger is a better made gun.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:11 AM   #18
Cheapshooter

Those commenting about the length and weight of the trigger pull on the LCP keep in mind that is the safety, and only safety. Like a double action revolver.
I have not found the trigger on my LCP to be at all objectionable.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 12, 2013, 11:14 AM   #19
loose_holster_dan

polly pocket?
isn't that a children's toy?
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old February 12, 2013, 11:21 AM   #20
DATL

C'mon Glock please make a really slim single stack 9 or .380 so we dont have ponder these things anymore? Ha ha

Im certainly no Glock fanboy but man their reliablilty is everything i want in a pocket pistol!
Old February 12, 2013, 12:11 PM   #21
9mm

@ Datl^ I don't think that will happen, they are known best for double stack guns. Making smaller stuff is not really on their mind?.. I think that would cut down on reliability
Old February 12, 2013, 12:40 PM   #22
Yung.gunr

I've had a TCP for a couple years now and I love it. The only issue has been that it doesn't like the uber cheap TulAmmo. The only gun I would trade of for would be a Sig P238.
To me, most the pocket autos (plastic ones) feel pretty much the same, EXCEPT for the trigger. The trigger is where the TCP shines over the others I feel.
Old February 12, 2013, 02:34 PM   #23
Andrewh

the only comment I have is the lcp hurts to shoot.
I fired 20 rounds out of one, and my hand hurt for 3 days.
could feel it in the web of my hand.
so I went for the 238.
Old February 12, 2013, 02:35 PM   #24
bonefamily

Quote:
polly pocket?
isn't that a children's toy?
Ha ha, I think you're right!

Well, I was able to track down an LCP not too far away for where we live (which was difficult as there is hardly anything available out there near us). They agreed to hold it for me till Friday (we bought from them before), which I can then make the drive to pick it up. There was another LCP even closer that had the Crimson Trace installed but that put it out of my current budget. The LCP has a good reputation so I'm going to go with it. I have also read good things about the TCP and P-3AT, and if those were available instead of the LCP I might have gone with one of those. Just glad to be able to find Ms. Elsie

Thanks for all the opinions and experiences everyone.
Old February 12, 2013, 02:43 PM   #25
mtrvl

I had a Kel-Tec 380 . It did not take long for me to replace it with with a Ruger LCP, which I am completely satisfied with for a mini carry gun. To each their own.