The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 6, 2013, 05:41 PM   #1
nadrepadre

Building a FAL

Seems like since parts kits are going for more and more and are in short supply, I figured it's high time I build one. Sarco is supposedly getting more of Argentinian model IV's in at some point and I'm waiting for it. Topped with a coonan receiver.

I've never built a rifle off of a kit before and was tempted to just get the century arms complete rifle. After doing some reading it looks like century arms isn't that great and I'd think I'd get more satisfaction out of building it myself.

Anybody down in the Austin, TX area feel like showing me the ropes on a build sometime? I'll bring the beer
Old February 7, 2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Skans

I saw someone selling a new, stripped, never used FN sear-cut receiver with the semi-auto ejection block installed on gunbroker. The starting bid price is $2,550. Comes with matching bolt and bolt carrier. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=328538866
Old February 9, 2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Destructo6

FAL files would be a good place to start looking for a how to.

Really, all you moght need help with is the barrel install and locking shoulder selection (headspace). I paid a smith $80 to do that part and solder on the muzzle device (it was the bad old days).

Everything else was very straight forward.

Keep all of them clean.
Old February 17, 2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Gunnutfn49

i second destructo6's recommendation re locking shoulder and headspace issues. save yourself the headache (unless you are mechanically include, have the right gauges and micrometers, etc).

...What he meant to add was, "unless, of course, all responsible citizens are armed to the teeth."