The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 3, 2010, 03:18 PM   #1
bossman

1911 truck/beater

No CCW or eyecandy need apply. Whats your favorite ruff & tuff 1911. The one you just throw in tool box or under the seat. The one that fires whenever called on. Now I'm not talking about real abuse but one you don't mine a few scratches on .

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old December 3, 2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

My favorite beater 1911 is my Glock 22. I find any 1911 to be too classic to be a beater. My Glock 22 on the other hands, it's ideal to take minor abuse and is well suited to be a go any place, do any thing sidearm.
Old December 3, 2010, 03:34 PM   #3
scottl

I don't currently have one.But I would have a Rock Island.Relatively cheap.
Old December 3, 2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Glock-19

I just ordered a RIA 9mm GI for this purpose ($400). I have two other 1911's that I take good care of; Springfield TRP and a CBOB.
Old December 3, 2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Amin Parker

Norinco 1911 pistols are great guns. They really impress me. They are tough as hell and they come with scratches from the factory so they already worked in lol
Old December 3, 2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

I'd probably go with Rock Island, as well.
Old December 3, 2010, 04:05 PM   #7
bossman

Quote:
They are tough as hell and they come with scratches from the factory so they already worked in lol
Now thats funny.

Old December 3, 2010, 04:07 PM   #8
MLeake

Why would you throw a gun in a tool box or under a seat?

If I'm carrying, it's on me.

If I need to leave it in my truck, I have a console vault, and the gun gets locked inside it, in its holster.

Not sure why anybody would throw any loaded pistol in a tool box or under a seat... Seems unsafe, and sure to do some damage over time to the weapon.
Old December 3, 2010, 04:15 PM   #9
azredhawk44

I've owned a Charles Daly 1911 in the past that would probably pass your standards for being cheap, functional and reliable.

Though I'm of the school that believes in keeping a pistol on the person if a pistol is needed in the first place.
Old December 3, 2010, 04:20 PM   #10
redstategunnut

I don't leave it unattended or throw it in a toolbox, but I did get a Springfield GI for the purpose of dirty work. Parkerized finish, nuttin fancy.
Old December 3, 2010, 06:39 PM   #11
2yellowdogs

Can't say enough good things about my RIA 1911. Paid $425. It's accurate and cycles anything you feed it including Russian steel casing stuff (TulAmmo). For the use you describe, this would be a great option.
Old December 3, 2010, 07:04 PM   #12
Hoss Fly

Quote:
Not sure why anybody would throw any loaded pistol in a tool box or under a seat... Seems unsafe, and sure to do some damage over time to the weapon.
Same here-
My 1911 rides in the console of my truck - in with other stuff but nothing that would really hurt it - To really "hurt" one you really have to be abusive to it- Why would you
Old December 3, 2010, 07:06 PM   #13
Shane Tuttle
Staff

RIA is my vote as well. To disclose, I don't have any experience shooting nor owning one. I have handled one at a gun show and for the price I was impressed. Many members here own them and haven't had very many reported problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake
I don't see a problem. May be "thrown" in a toolbox or under a seat, but the OP didn't state specifically how it's stored in said locations. I grew up with firearms in vehicles all the time and secured in some fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azredhawk44
Though I'm of the school that believes in keeping a pistol on the person if a pistol is needed in the first place.
What's wrong with having one on your person AND in your vehicle? Maybe it's unlawful to carry on your person but perfectly legal to have a firearm stored in his/her vehicle. Some states are set up as such. Illinois comes to mind. Unloaded of course.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 3, 2010, 07:09 PM   #14
bossman

The RIA seems to be about what I'm needing. I forgot all about Norinco them things are tougher than a sledgehammer. I don't know how hard it would be to find one. I had a Llama 45 that was great for this but a friend wanted it and traded me a model 94 30-30 for it. I liked him even more for that trade. He's still loving it and I'm still filling guilty.

I sometimes work in remote areas. When cutting wood,cleaning fence rows,or cutting brush back from the fields I find having the weight of a full size 1911 on my person undoable. If I'm close to the truck I might lay in the seat or even on the tailgate. when I,m away from the truck or 4-wheeler it goes in my toolbox that I carry with me. Anyone who works alone in the deep dark woods knows you can get spooked out there. Sometimes I will get it out of my tool box and lay close to me on the ground. I've encountered black bears 5 times no shots fired we both gave ground. I don't know if a 45 would do anything to a bear other than maybe scare it off,but it makes me fill better.

Last edited by bossman; December 3, 2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old December 3, 2010, 07:10 PM   #15
Hoss Fly

Quote:
What's wrong with having one on your person AND in your vehicle? Maybe it's unlawful to carry on your person but perfectly legal to have a firearm stored in his/her vehicle. Some states are set up as such. Illinois comes to mind. Unloaded of course.
Old December 3, 2010, 07:19 PM   #16
WVsig

Norinco would be my choice. You can still find them for $400 to $450
Old December 3, 2010, 07:53 PM   #17
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Texas doesn't allow you to CCW in your own car?

Old December 3, 2010, 08:03 PM   #18
Amin Parker

Around these parts you can still get a Norinco for around 250 dollars. Comes to about 1750 Rands. To put into respective, a Glock costs around 1200US and is definately not worth the money.
Old December 3, 2010, 08:09 PM   #19
IanS

A "truck gun" is something that is likely to be neglected for long periods (not that I'm advocating that). For that I'd choose a used Glock, a semi-auto that is more likely to function with little to no lube compared to most other semi-autos including the 1911.
Old December 3, 2010, 08:41 PM   #20
bigghoss

if I didn't work on a military base I'd have truck guns. I don't have a 1911 for that but my old ruger p95dc would be good for a truck gun.
Old December 3, 2010, 09:24 PM   #21
WESHOOT2

I don't even have a truck

My '"beater truck under the seat" gun includes my 5" all-custom Caspian in (normally) 45ACP, sometimes in 400 CorBon (options, baby). Its NP3 finish makes it tougher.

Might be a Witness, maybe one of three different frames, maybe in 9x19 or 40 S&W or 41 AE or 45 ACP. If I chamber one in 9x21 I wear it.
Metal's too ornery to scratch.

And my Taurus 'back-up always', an aluminum-framed steel slide PT22. It looks beat up.
So does my always.

All go bang on demand.

The cost, after I buy 'it', is of no consideration for its actual use.
Old December 3, 2010, 09:25 PM   #22
Hoss Fly

Quote:
Around these parts you can still get a Norinco for around 250 dollars. Comes to about 1750 Rands. To put into respective, a Glock costs around 1200US and is definately not worth the money.
Where you at? I'd to visit
Old December 3, 2010, 09:29 PM   #23
WVsig

Quote:
Where you at? I'd to visit
South Africa???? They still import them... Like Canada.

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/index-hg-1911A1.shtm
Old December 3, 2010, 09:36 PM   #24
Hoss Fly

Quote:
Texas doesn't allow you to CCW in your own car?
Of course-
I was just saying that no CCW permit is required to have a loaded handgun in your vehicle as long as its out of plain sight
Old December 3, 2010, 09:53 PM   #25
Shane Tuttle
Staff

But that's not the point of my context...