The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Ninth and Plum

Lead Removal From A Burm

I am hoping to start casting soon but I am having a hard time trying to find lead so I figured I would get it from the burm at the range. I tried using a sifter and shovel small scoops into it but realized after several minutes of sifting only to recover a couple of bullets would take for ever. I was wondering if anyone had a faster way of removing the lead?
Old April 5, 2011, 10:53 PM   #2
MrWesson

Offering to buy wheel weights from tire shops(like 20-35 a 5gal bucket). Id rather go to 15 tire shops than to dig lead out of the ground.

Start networking to people you know in the auto industry or just be aware of anyone you meet that may have a tire shop connection.

I tell them I am casting fishing sinkers for someone I know with a charter boat or something.. IMO a white lie and with so many anti's out there I wouldn't tell the truth
Old April 6, 2011, 10:25 AM   #3
mikld

I guess it depends on the concentration of lead in the berm. There used to be a canyon north of L.A. where a lot of shooters went. I would go there on a weekday (when I was alone) and "mine" lead from the hillside. I had to figger about where the most lead would be (target height and distance from hillside, etc) and the first time I got a coffee can full in a little over an hour. I made a sifter with 1/2" hardware cloth (so .22s wouldn'f fall through) and used a folding shovel and would usually get about a 5 gal bucket nearly full in mebbe a couple hours. I didn't want to get too greedy 'cause I had to lift that bucket into the trunk on my Mustang; heavy...
Old April 7, 2011, 10:38 PM   #4
jal5

I just pick them up off the berm at the range after a rain. they stand out easier then and are easy pickins! I can get a large size plastic coffee can full in about an hour which is about all my back will hold out too.
Old April 8, 2011, 03:55 AM   #5
Ninth and Plum

I have come up with a larger heavy duty type of sifter I am going to try out using wire mesh and some 2x4s. Hopefully it will work as I picture it to. I'll let you know how it works out if I get a chance to try it out this week.
Old May 15, 2011, 01:31 AM   #6
Ninth and Plum

Well after a couple of weeks I finally made it out to try my contraption, it worked pretty good. I got about two gallons of lead in about twenty minutes. I still have some modifying to do but it shows some potential. I am going out again in the morning to try it out after the first set of modifications, hopefully I can increase the lead rate and decrease the time.