The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 2, 2010, 09:39 PM   #1
BIG P

Effective Range

Just wondering, how far are you effective on a man size silhouette target
with your favorite handgun? Im sure Im not the only one that tried this
Old August 2, 2010, 09:57 PM   #2
ligonierbill

Draw and fire quickly, double action? Not bad at 15 yards. Beyond that I have to really take my time.
Old August 2, 2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Dwight55

I would not want my clone firing at me with my 1911 at 150 yards or less.

It is surprizingly easy to hit a "body" target out to those ranges.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old August 2, 2010, 10:09 PM   #4
jrothWA

100yd using reduced SR-200 target, using..

my 1991A1, and the base of front sight. one clip inside the 10 ring.

Using Contender am 65% on the Rams @100, iron sights.

Had a friendly .22 shoot, I'm off-handing my 77/22 and plinking wild daisies @ 50yds, while partner is benching. I lead @ 3 shots for clipping a daisy to his 5.
Old August 2, 2010, 10:58 PM   #5
COSteve

I've got to agree with Dwight55, I regularly practice with my custom 6" longslide Glocks at our 150yd and 100 yds steel. I'm of the old school thought of 'aim small, miss small' and for me that means practicing at distance to help me shoot 'small' up close. Man sized steel at 100yds is a snap to hit, even with a quick draw and press forward, 2 handed shot. Followup shots, as long as they are aimed (about 1½ seconds apart), work well to.
Old August 3, 2010, 01:57 AM   #6
RamSlammer

People shaped targets should beware at 200-250m of old guys with strange looking pistols who lay their backsides on the ground and use their knees as gun rests.
Old August 3, 2010, 02:08 AM   #7
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
I usually train with pistols out to 100 yards. And then occasionally beyond.

I also believe that working on accuracy at greater distances reaps benefits at those ranges and additionally closer in.

Now, go figure...
Old August 3, 2010, 06:32 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Wow guys, I practice at 7 to 10 yards only.

If I get a wild hair I might go 25 yards with a pistol. At that distance, the target is pretty easy to hit but I'm not sure that I've ever really went beyond that.
Old August 3, 2010, 07:22 AM   #9
ClayInTx

Beyond 10 yards is for fun. Get into the “Weaver Stance”, acquire the target in the sight, hold your breath, slowly squeeze the trigger, and then...

Well, if you’re in a real world situation it’s going to be about 10 feet and there ain’t no “then”...

You’ve been dead since just about the time you got settled into your “Weaver Stance”.
Old August 3, 2010, 11:45 AM   #10
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Have you been in a lot of real world situations Clay? Just curious about you long it takes you to get into a shooting stance and why you would only want to consider a gun fight at 10 yards or less. That may be the norm but it is only a norm, not a hard and fast rule.

Us old guys with the bleary eyes and shaky arms can get hits at 100-200 yards because we have worked at it. We zero at 25 yards because that is the way we were trained a hundred years ago, well 40 years ago, it only seems like 100. A lot of us have worn a uniform or two or three and been to the party. We avoid those situations whenever possible but we aren't limited to 10 yards and don't call it fun or luck because its just as serious at 60 yards as it is at 6'.

There are no rules about what distance you might have to shoot at or any guarantee you will have the most suitable gun for that distance. More better you start training for all eventualities now and not just be an 8 yard wonder with only one gun and only one brand and type of ammo.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 3, 2010, 11:51 AM   #11
BIG P

I'm old school also at 100yds gold cup 45 not bad at all.
With those funny lookin single shots 250yrds.
But that other mountain side over yonder aint out of the question either.

Last edited by BIG P; August 3, 2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old August 3, 2010, 12:04 PM   #12
RimfireChris

The max I practice at is 25 yards, but I have shot a .38 super for fun at 100yd. targets. It's a confidence booster, mostly. The reason most of my practice is at 25yd or less is that as an armed citizen, not a LEO, if they're farther than that away from me, I probably need to find away out of the situation instead of engaging. I practice a lot of close range, push back and double tap, on my back, weird angle stuff.
Old August 3, 2010, 01:23 PM   #13
The Great Mahoo

I only ever shoot at ranges up to 30 yards (maximum of my club's pistol range) and get decent results. Not as great as I would like, but I manage. I'd wager I can hit to atleast 50 yards, and would land some out of each mag at 100.

I do most of my training for 10-15 yards, typical self defense range. Anything longer than that where I have to engage, I'll be hoping for a rifle.
Old August 3, 2010, 01:35 PM   #14
kraigwy

Shooting at 100 yards is no different then shooting at 25 yards. Its all about fundamentals. The gun would do it. It's just we get sloppy shooting at close ranges (where we can get by with it) and that habit carries over to longer ranges.

Spend a couple good practice sessions at 100 yards and see if that don't help you shooting plates at 25 & 15 yards.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 3, 2010, 01:37 PM   #15
TylerD45ACP

I can also hit a man size target with my 1911 at 100yds. I mean the rounds are by no means grouped well and would have hit the person all over the body. The times I shot that just for fun, Id say I missed 5%-10% of the shots. I usually shoot 30ft for SD range to practice pretty quick SD shooting tactics. When I want to shoot for accuracy I move it to 50ft. This is what I usually do besides the couple times with the 100yd shots.
Old August 3, 2010, 01:48 PM   #16
ISC

At 50 meters I can usually keep every shot into a paper plate with slow controlled fire from a good weaver stance. That goes to crap if my heart rate goes up at all or I try it with my keltec.

I've hit targets at 100M with a handgun resting on the bench, but had to dope my shots so much that it was alot more misses than hits.

Last edited by ISC; August 3, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old August 3, 2010, 02:18 PM   #17
TylerD45ACP

Yea I think I gave my self a little extra credit . I was missing the target alot too, maybe more like 30% missed. I think I would usually get 4 or 5 shots on the target out of 7.
Old August 3, 2010, 02:35 PM   #18
Malamute

200 is not too bad. Can hit gallon size rocks pretty consistantly at that range.300 is possible in good conditions with a little larger target.

At our old shooting spot, we had an 18" w x 36" h steel plate hanging. With the 4" 29 I've made 5 for 6, kneeling with medium vel loads. Managed 6 for 6 that day with the 6" K-22. That was a good day, but 2-4 out of 6 wasnt unsual when you get the hang of it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old August 4, 2010, 05:50 AM   #19
darkgael

100 yards

FN FiveSeven. Twenty rounds at 100 yards. Had a red dot on the gun.

Pete
Old August 4, 2010, 07:22 AM   #20
cougar gt-e

Jeepers, you guys are sure shots!

I'm an old duffer with the watery eyes and shaky hands - since the front sight went all fuzzy on me there's very little I can hit at a distance.
Old August 4, 2010, 12:47 PM   #21
ClayInTx

Grump,

I did not say I never shoot at greater than 10 yards. I shoot at various distances, depending on where I am in my woods. It’s for fun if using a pistol.

However, the more likely threat to me is at close range and no time for BS posturing. If I’m at the C-store and some dude fifty yards away is a threat I can find cover and either get away or get him closer.

I’m not saying don’t practice at long range. I do say practice drawing as fast as possible and shooting as fast as possible at a range likely to be where you’ll need to shoot.

Fun is fun; real is real.

I’m not a Mall Ninja.
Old August 4, 2010, 01:15 PM   #22
TylerD45ACP

Don't sell yourself short cougar, go for it anyway. I wouldn't really worry too much about shooting a pistol at 100yards anyway. Can't see a SD situation where that occurs. As long as you have that bright red dot if you can't see that well you will be ok for SD. Theres a reason stop lights, lasers, stop signs are all red, it is the color we can see the farthest in the spectrum.
Old August 4, 2010, 04:47 PM   #23
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Fun is fun; real is real.

I’m not a Mall Ninja.
Fair enough, I'm just pointing out that there is no script for real life situations and sometimes the averages don't apply in real life situations. I'm the first guy in the crowd to look for available cover but sometimes it isn't there and you can get caught in the open. It's a good thing to know you aren't helpless if you are there. Think large empty parking lot, the middle of a 4 lane street, or in my case the middle of a field and the closest cover was 200 yards away.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 4, 2010, 05:04 PM   #24
TylerD45ACP

At that point cover is not an option. I would immediatley return fire, depending on the situation and area maybe get to the ground to present a smaller target. That way I could also get increase my accuracy at distance using the ground as a makeshift rest. I would do my best

---Old Grump--- You were caught in the middle of a field closest cover 200yards away . If you don't mind elaborating I would be interested in your story and am glad your ok. You obviously were prepared.

"fun is fun, real is real" is a good quote and could not be more true. Theres no room for silly antics in a SD situation. Even if you carry but never mentally prepared or trained your dead. Mall ninjas are the 1st to get it.
Old August 4, 2010, 07:17 PM   #25
tenusdad

Varies widely depending on which gun and how much time I have. I found firing under time pressure changes things a lot. Of course my 1911 is going to have more effective range than my LCP. If it's really hit the fan then all bets are off - I'll probably need a 9mm 226 and a 20 round magazine.