The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 30, 2013, 07:24 PM   #101
steveNChunter

Every gun store around here has already sent theirs back to SA.

I thought it was illegal for a gun store to sell a recalled gun?

Maybe they are getting around it since it's a voluntary recall?
Old September 30, 2013, 08:18 PM   #102
t4terrific

XDs Recall

They're trying to find a cheap way to fix the problem. Replacing parts is bad for business. The new pistols have new parts, but they don't want to take the hit by replacing defective parts on already sold pistols on such a huge scale. The fix they're trying to find is really a "cheap fix". A fix is easy, a "cheap fix" is what's got things gummed up.
Old September 30, 2013, 08:29 PM   #103
born2climb

Until they get on the ball, I'll keep mine. i'm not afraid of it as is. I'll send it back in a few months, hopefully with a much quicker turnaround.
Old September 30, 2013, 08:35 PM   #104
steveNChunter

Quote:

They're trying to find a cheap way to fix the problem. Replacing parts is bad for business. The new pistols have new parts, but they don't want to take the hit by replacing defective parts on already sold pistols on such a huge scale. The fix they're trying to find is really a "cheap fix". A fix is easy, a "cheap fix" is what's got things gummed up.

That's true but time is money and the more they drag their feet the more they tarnish their image.

I'm pretty confident they will make it right because as expensive as this recall is, having to do it a second time would be exponentially worse.

I have the same plan as born2climb
Old October 2, 2013, 04:57 PM   #105
iblong

Yep,mine may go in sometime this winter I've put a thousand rounds through mine no issues yet.But I am very careful loading and unloading and in a few weeks I'll be back to my G19 as my daily carry.I had to try the XDS for the summer.To tell the truth its not much harder to carry the 19.
Old October 3, 2013, 05:50 AM   #106
zeke4351

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMP View Post
I saw a few at the local gun store this weekend and started to miss mine even more.
I read on another forum that all of these guns have been recalled and there should not be any for sale. Also that they do not as yet have a fix or know when they will. Sounds like a really bad deal for the people that bought one of these guns. SA should buy all of these guns back.
Old October 3, 2013, 06:09 AM   #107
t4terrific

XDs Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
I read on another forum that all of these guns have been recalled and there should not be any for sale. Also that they do not as yet have a fix or know when they will. Sounds like a really bad deal for the people that bought one of these guns. SA should buy all of these guns back.
At full retail? In that case there will be a bunch of "$1000"xds's being returned.
Old October 3, 2013, 08:56 AM   #108
SIMP

I asked the salesman about the XDs he had in the case and he said that it wasn't affected by the recall. I just took his word for it.
Old October 4, 2013, 06:17 PM   #109
SIMP

Anyone read the generic update from SA today? I was wanting a little more detail but at least they posted....I guess.
Old October 4, 2013, 09:32 PM   #110
steveNChunter

Yea I just read it.

You know how it sounds on Charlie Brown cartoons when the teacher is talking?

I heard that noise in my head as I was reading the update.

I'm glad I still have mine in my possession.
Old October 5, 2013, 02:15 PM   #111
IdahoG36

Quote:
As we noted in last Friday's update, our testing of potential upgrade solutions has continued and we are pleased to tell you that we have made significant progress over the last seven days. We have now identified what we believe is our final upgrade solution and throughout this coming week we will be continuing with our thorough and exhaustive testing of that solution.
Here is the update that they provided. Hopefully they will start upgrading our guns soon.
Old October 5, 2013, 09:04 PM   #112
IdahoG36

They could just send me a new EMP 9mm as a replacement for my XDs .45 instead. That would ease my agitation with the situation
Old October 6, 2013, 06:31 PM   #113
born2climb

Until I hear of them returning the recalls within a reasonable length of time, I'm still resolved to keep carrying mine and waiting for them to get their ducks in a row.
Old October 7, 2013, 12:30 PM   #114
SIMP

I think I'm going to make a surprise visit to Springfield and check in on things. I'll report back to everyone. LOL
Old October 7, 2013, 09:03 PM   #115
Miata Mike

So they haven't yet decided on a fix??? Has anyone here got theirs back?

I was under the impression that they had a fix in mind since they have a serial range that is not effected by the recall. Mine has been gone since Labor day and I am missing it.
Old October 7, 2013, 11:13 PM   #116
TahoeDust

Quote:

I was under the impression that they had a fix in mind since they have a serial range that is not effected by the recall. Mine has been gone since Labor day and I am missing it.
The serial number range they listed was all encompassing. Every XDS ever produced was recalled. They have not developed a fix yet.
Old October 8, 2013, 01:13 AM   #117
IdahoG36

Quote:
If they haven't found a fix, how would anybody have gotten their XDs back yet?
Old October 8, 2013, 04:17 AM   #118
kcub

It sounds like they have a candidate fix going through testing. It must appear to work. You do want them to test the fix don't you? Or would you rather have them send them back out only to discover that either the fix doesn't always work or the fix broke something else. Then you get to start the whole process over again.
Old October 8, 2013, 02:21 PM   #119
steveNChunter

One thing that really aggrevates me about all this, aside from anything SA has done, is the number of gun stores that are still selling the XDS knowing good and well that it's been recalled.

I've been to two different gun stores in my home town that still have brand new XDS's in stock. I asked at both places why they haven't sent theirs in per the recall and the reply at both places was "these weren't affected by the recall".
I then kindly replied, "but every XDS was in the recall".

At one shop the guy just shrugged his shoulders and walked off.
The guy at the other shop was right in the middle of showing an XDS 9 to a customer and said, "boy, you ought not to be tellin' s*** you don't know anything about".

Oops, guess I ruined that sale

Last time I checked it was illegal for a gun dealer (or maybe anyone for that matter) to sale a recalled gun. Not to mention lying about it being recalled.
Old October 9, 2013, 05:58 PM   #120
steveNChunter

The latest update...

Quote:
XD-S™ Upgrade Testing Very Near Completion

We last updated this site Friday, October 4, with the good news that we have found what we believe is the final solution for the XD-S™ upgrade and that we would be continuing exhaustive testing through the week.

We are very pleased to let you know that a large majority of the testing is complete and is going extremely well. We believe we are very close to being able to give our valued customers more specific information about when they can expect their XD-S™ pistols to be returned to them.

We will update this site again on Friday, October 11 and fully expect that we will have more great news to share. We are making final arrangements for upgrading the pistols that our customers returned to us.

In the meantime, please accept our heartfelt thanks for your patience, loyalty and support of Springfield Armory®. We remain fully committed to resolving this recall as quickly as possible and we are confident that you will be extremely pleased with your upgraded 3.3 XD-S™.
Wasn't that pretty much what they said in the last statement...?
Old October 9, 2013, 10:42 PM   #121
IdahoG36

I would like to see a couple of free mags come back with my pistol for the inconvenience.
Old October 10, 2013, 01:12 AM   #122
balyon85

Re: XDs Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoG36 View Post
I would like to see a couple of free mags come back with my pistol for the inconvenience.
I wouldn't complain if the extended magazine found its way in my case.
Old October 10, 2013, 06:54 AM   #123
bamiller

Shipped mine back on 9/4 then about 3 weeks later I recived an email from SA saying it should be returned 10/4 and now they say they haven't even finalized a solution yet? Sounds like either the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing or someone is flat blowing smoke up our butts. Just my humble opinion .
Old October 10, 2013, 07:02 AM   #124
dayman

I'm not upset with them and - as I said before - I'd be happy with a SA sticker when they return my gun, but a free mag would probably make me decide I need to buy more Springers.
Old October 11, 2013, 04:43 PM   #125
SIMP

They have a fix!! Per their website......
"This information applies only to XD-S™ pistols in the serial number ranges below
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm pistols - serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300

We are pleased to announce that our testing was successful and is complete.

We will receive our first shipment of upgrade parts early next week and will begin shipping upgraded XD-S™ pistols back to our customers the week of October 21 on a first-received/first-upgraded basis.

To ensure our customers are continuously informed of our progress, we will provide website updates every Friday until all of the pistols are back in the hands of their owners.

We are confident that you will be extremely pleased with your upgraded XD-S™ pistol and we wish to express our deep gratitude to all our valued customers who have demonstrated such patience, support and loyalty to Springfield Armory®. As a small token of our thanks, we will be enclosing an XD-S™ extended magazine with X-tension sleeve with each pistol we return.

Please click the FAQ link in the red bar on top of this page to view our updated FAQ for more information about the final upgrade solution, and thank you again for your support.

This Springfield XD-S™ Recall Update will be updated every Friday through the recall process. Please check back for updates.

As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S™ until the upgrade has been performed."