The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 2, 2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Hi-Point 4595 Trigger Job?

The range where I shoot just got in a Hi-Point 4595 carbine (.45 Auto) to use as a rental. It will be a companion to the Hi-Point 9mm and .40 S&W carbines they already have. They've been swamped and didn't have time to test it, so the manager on duty asked me to do so last night while I was waiting for some co-workers to arrive. It was my first time shooting a Hi-Point anything and, despite its inherent ugliness, I was somewhat impressed. Accuracy with the standard iron sights was more than acceptable.

What I didn't like -- and reported to the manager -- was that the trigger pull was quite long and creepy. Not gritty, just seemed to be a lot of creep. He asked me if that could be cleaned up with some polishing, and I said it was creep, not gritty, and I didn't think just polishing would help much. Beyond that, I'm out of my league because I've never before touched a Hi-Point.

Does anyone know anything about the Hi-Point mechanism? Is there a way a person who knows his way around inside a 1911 could clean up the trigger and take some of the creep out?

Here's the gun:

Old March 2, 2013, 10:36 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am sure any competent gunsmith could improve the trigger pull on that carbine. Most folks don't bother because they buy the gun as an inexpensive defense gun and spending $100 or more for gunsmith work sort of defeats the whole idea.

Jim
Old March 3, 2013, 06:55 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The range is a small operation that doesn't employ a resident gunsmith. I don't think they want to invest in sending the gun out for a trigger job. The question was whether someone who knows how to work on 1911s and SAAs (in other words, me) could do it?
Old March 5, 2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Sure shot wv

I have the 9mm version and just recently had mine apart for a little tlc. The trigger setup is very easy to work on and get to!! It is a very simple design and I benefitted from a little polish work. But it just smoothed it out a little. I don't think it's going to do what you want done IMO. The way it's designed it has a lot of motion transfer going on from the time you pull the trigger to when it releases the firing pin.