The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2012, 10:54 PM   #1
customf1

Choke to use for home defense loads?

Does this sound right, I'm thinking of using Federal PremiumĀ® FLITECONTROLĀ® #1 buckshot for HD however I'm not sure what choke to use, maybe full choke? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks
Old September 17, 2012, 11:04 PM   #2
olddrum1

At living room distances it probably does not mean one whits difference in choke types.
Old September 17, 2012, 11:11 PM   #3
Deja vu

I use a cylinder choke. At home defense ranges it makes very little difference.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old September 18, 2012, 08:42 AM   #4
Goatwhiskers

At room distances the wad will not have separated and you hit the BG with the whole thing. Amount of choke is irrelevant. GW
Old September 18, 2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Lee Lapin

FliteControl tends not to like chokes tighter than ImpCyl...

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old September 18, 2012, 11:35 AM   #6
BigJimP

I would either shoot Cyclinder or Improved Cyclinder ...nothing tighter than that....so it does matter !
Old September 18, 2012, 03:56 PM   #7
markj

Take several sheets out of the closet, put them over a cloths line, step back the amount you feel a bad guy would be at, shoot the sheet, use a different choke on each sheet, compare sheets, look for pellets in the area does the most damage, use that one.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:40 PM   #8
BigJimP

Or you could use "butcher paper" ...or plain old white wrapping paper...or brown paper bags...or whatever..../ a heck of a lot cheaper than bed sheets...

staple them to a wood rack ...on a range....
Old September 18, 2012, 11:06 PM   #9
olddrum1

I would either shoot Cyclinder or Improved Cyclinder ...nothing tighter than that....so it does matter !

Might I ask why?
Old September 18, 2012, 11:09 PM   #10
olddrum1

Take several sheets out of the closet, put them over a cloths line, step back the amount you feel a bad guy would be at, shoot the sheet, use a different choke on each sheet, compare sheets, look for pellets in the area does the most damage, use that one.

I am curious as to how many holes in the sheet you get using buckshot?
Old September 19, 2012, 12:37 AM   #11
shortwave

Quote:
Quote:
Might I ask why?
short answer:

using tight chokes will strip the flight control wad from the shot defeating wads purpose creating erratic patterns.
Old September 20, 2012, 04:46 PM   #12
markj

Quote:
a heck of a lot cheaper than bed sheets
But the wife wont be mad at ya when you get home.....

Quote:
I am curious as to how many holes in the sheet you get using buckshot?
Depends on how many slugs is in the shot, main thing is how the pattern looks on the sheet or paper or whatever you use. If the pattern is all wide you may not get the best tresults, if pattern is tight then you will do some damage if on target.

Dont go use a barn as some idiot did on our place when I was a kid. nor a farm equipment just sitting there. Nor a street sign as most city folk shoot up out here where some of us live full time.
Old September 20, 2012, 05:34 PM   #13
Pistolgripshotty

Cylinder is best.
Old September 20, 2012, 09:40 PM   #14
g2gunny

Whatever doesnt matter

Really it doesnt make a damn bit of difference. Once you load that thing and they hear the "CLICK CLICK" they will either run or have a heart attack and die...kidding, but seriously. Point and shoot, if you hit them with a 12 ga its game over...period.
Old September 20, 2012, 11:24 PM   #15
FloridaVeteran

IC/skeet.
Old September 20, 2012, 11:25 PM   #16
TheKlawMan

Gunny, Some choose HD choke/ammo not so much as to put the target down, but to limit collateral damage from shots wide of the target.
Old September 21, 2012, 01:57 PM   #17
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

At typical HD ranges, choke choice is moot. The difference in patterns between Cyl and Full is maybe an inch. However....

Atypical shots arise in the home, AND every HD shotgun may have to double as a CD shotgun.

CD? Community Defense. Think of those ad hoc militias after Katrina turning their hoods into safe zones where looting, violence and rapine were minimal compared to other areas.

So, take that into consideration when picking a choke.

Something that will keep all the pattern within 12-15" at 25 yards is,IMO, close to ideal.
Old September 21, 2012, 04:52 PM   #18
TheKlawMan

You specifically asked about a choke for Federal PREMIUM Flite Contol #1 Buck. I have both something similar (Federal Premium Personal Defense with Flight Control 00 buck) and some Remington Ultra Home Defense with heavy dense BB's that I bought for HD. I never thought of Civil Defense as raised by Dave, but should such an occassion arise I would probably be using a short barrel 870 with a fixed open cylinder (no choke) and suspect it will be nice and tight at the 25 yards posited by Dave. I think he may ahve posted someting about how it patterns at that distance, but do not recall. Still, I have seen at least one post where someone claimed a 6" pattern at 15-20 yards with iFlight Control and an open cylinder short barrel 870.

I would just run a very open choke if you have screw-ins and if you may be using some slugs you may want to go with an IC. The proof of the pudding is the individual gun and how it patterns for you.