The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 29, 2012, 02:30 PM   #1
poprivit

Would you REALLY buy one

If you could really own a Class III full-auto .45 cal submachine gun for under $6k, would you belly up to the bar?

I'm going to Africa on safari next year and have to sell some of my guns. I've got a Stemple 76/45 with a can that I will be advertising sometime after New Years. It's very similar to a S&W 76, but in .45ACP.

Now, that said, would this tempt you to buy?
Old October 29, 2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Deja vu

if i had the $ yes...

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 29, 2012, 03:37 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I sold all my MGs several years ago and won't be buying any more, but assuming that gun is transferrable, I don't think you will have any problem at all selling it at that price!

Jim
Old October 30, 2012, 10:53 AM   #4
poprivit

I'll sell it

JamesK - It's on a Form 4 in Nevada. It'll sell easily. I was just curious if the people who talk about owning one "just if ..." would actually buy one. Sure, it burns ammo; yes, it's expensive; man, there's a lot of paperwork ..

Reality - after owning everything from a Browning 1919A4 belt fed to a MAC11 .380, I'd do it all over again.

Last edited by poprivit; October 30, 2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: sp
Old October 30, 2012, 09:16 PM   #5
David Hineline

Taking into consideration that an out of state buyer is going to have $800 in transfer tax to buy the gun I would say you are about $1000 too high.
Old October 31, 2012, 01:37 AM   #6
medalguy

An out of state buyer can have the gun transferred to the FFL/SOT of his choice in his state. Then he has one transfer tax from the FFL/SOT to him. Only $200 in transfer fees. I'm in the process of doing one like that right now.

And yes folks will buy it. Machine guns are still selling pretty well, although prices dropped a couple of years ago but they are coming back up now.
Old October 31, 2012, 06:38 AM   #7
Beretta686

No. Machine-guns are amusing and fun to shoot. I'm thrilled I bought my MAC-10 in 9mm a few years ago and will probably never get rid of it.

But shooting a .45ACP machine-gun gets very pricey rather quickly. Unless you're selling a .45ACP machine-gun that has some special meaning (like a Thompson or a Grease Gun) I doubt people will eagerly jump for a .45ACP version of a gun they can get in 9mm.

You'll be able to sell it, but I doubt you're going to get what you're looking to ask for it as it'll be a niche purchaser as opposed to your general shooter who just wants a bullet hose to put a smile on their face.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 31, 2012, 09:27 PM   #8
GoingQuiet

Class 3 is a tax bracket, learn your terms before you point fingers.

I'd gladly buy the right gun under $6k.
Old October 31, 2012, 10:21 PM   #9
Yankee Doodle

Absolutely not.
There is no reason in the world for a civilian to own a fully automatic weapon. These are for military and police use only. I think they should be fully banned for private ownership.
Now that I have your undivided attention, of course I'd take it? Who wouldn't? More fun than anything else you can do with your clothes on.
Old November 1, 2012, 04:41 AM   #10
Willie Lowman

Yankee, I see you trollin'

I wouldn't pay over 5300 for a Stemple unless it came with some extras.
Old November 1, 2012, 10:06 AM   #11
Belve

i would buy it. if i can afford a 6k firearm i think id be able to afford the ammo to use it
Old November 1, 2012, 11:07 AM   #12
poprivit

Stemple

Willie L - ah, but it does come with extras. Got a spare barrel with a Stemple can on it. Four position AR-type stock, spare short barrel, two recoil springs. C-More red dot sight. Plus, it uses unmodified Grease Gun mags. The grins it brings when shot are free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0061.JPG (210.0 KB, 92 views)
Old November 2, 2012, 04:37 AM   #13
Willie Lowman

Well, in that case someone will be getting quite a deal. Sadly this is the wrong time of year for me to consider buying machine guns.
Old November 2, 2012, 07:16 AM   #14
Skans

deleted.
Old November 2, 2012, 10:35 PM   #15
David Hineline

In this case the gun is owned individual, not dealer, so two taxes $400 are paid for the silencer and machinegun, to the buyer's dealer, then 2 more taxes $400 are paid for the transfer of the silencer and machinegun to the buyer from the buyers dealer.

$800 total
Old November 2, 2012, 10:58 PM   #16
TXAZ

Depends on the condition.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 3, 2012, 04:23 AM   #17
Willie Lowman

David speaks truth on the transfer taxes. Unless a in state sale is done without the dealer.
Old November 3, 2012, 12:03 PM   #18
poprivit

Transfer tax

There is no transfer tax from a private individual to a dealer.

The dealer then will transfer the MG and the suppressor to the new buyer with two tax stamps. The suppressor as one; the gun as the other. if the suppressor was welded to the barrel and the barrel not removable, as in my Savage with an Outback on it, there would be only one tax stamp needed.

BTW; If you sell a Class III weapon, the tax stamp has a collector's value of $50. I've sold a number of old ones to people.
Old November 3, 2012, 12:33 PM   #19
David Hineline

Poprivit you are incorrect

Poprivit you are incorrect, this is an opportunity for you to listen and learn and understand.

Anytime a privatly owned NFA firearm is transferred to another individual or a NFA SOT paying dealer a tax is due. Dealer to Dealer transfer is on a form 3 tax free but individual to dealer is tax paid form 4.

Form 5 tax free transfers go tax free to govment agencies and the BATFE will process tax free form 5 transfers to heirs in an estate situation.
Old November 3, 2012, 04:18 PM   #20
reticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle
There is no reason in the world for a civilian to own a fully automatic weapon.
If one understands the purpose of the second amendment, then yes, a non felon citizen has the right to any weapon likely to be used against him by tyrannical govt. Right now, that includes among other things, fully automatic weapons.
Old November 3, 2012, 05:24 PM   #21
bossman

No way, tried the full auto, years ago. Got tired of being called in on everytime I went to shoot it. They are fun and you have to reload, but not worth the money, permits, or the hassle.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old November 3, 2012, 06:19 PM   #22
Yankee Doodle

Hey Reticle
Read the entire post. It appears to me that you fail to understand my feeble attempt at a bit of humor.
Old November 3, 2012, 07:01 PM   #23
Nathan

I had better get my car sold in anticipation of this going up for sale. . .oh shoot, I need that to go to work. . .Well, may just have to live with my semi AR's!
Old November 4, 2012, 08:48 AM   #24
tmorone

I can't speak to machine guns, but suppressors going from dealer to dealer DO NOT incur a $200 tax.

Dealer to dealer happens on a form 3, tax free form. Dealer to individual or trust is a form 4, which a stamp is stuck to.

You're putting info out that's flat out wrong David. I've purchased 4 suppressors this year and all from out-of-state. Dealer to dealer, then dealer to me were only $200 per can total...not $400 like you're saying it should be.
Old November 4, 2012, 02:50 PM   #25
David Hineline

Tmorone everything you said is correct, there is no dealer to dealer tax, this is not the situation of the original poster, he is not a dealer, he bought the silencer and machinegun on a tax paid form 4, he is not a dealer, he can sell to a dealer in his state or in any state, or an individual in his own state on tax paid form 4. then it can go through as many dealers as needed on tax free form 3 but if his final customer is not a dealer it goes from the final dealer to the individual on tax paid form 4 again.

Your silencers are no different that machineguns except machineguns due to the ban have a value in the used market because they appreciate fast enough to cover the transfer tax times 1 in state or times 2 out of state. Where since your silencers can be bought new with one tax, there is no used market on silencers. Sometimes in state they will sell with one tax, but unless some special antique historical silencer no one is going to pay double NFA tax on a used silencer when they can order brand new from a dealer or manuf. on one tax.