The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2009, 05:47 PM   #1
jw44

left handed shooter

the only shotgun i have ever shot is an old double-barreled 12 gauge that belonged to my father. Uncorrectible poor vision in my right eye requires that I shoot left handed. I am planning on buying a defense pump action shotgun and wonder if the remington 870 would be a problem for left handed shooting as far as ejected shells striking one in the face or on the head. Has anyone had a chance to evaluate the new Ithaca defense model 37? The Ithaca's bottom ejection system would be good for both left and right hand shooters.
Old February 9, 2009, 05:57 PM   #2
dalecooper51

Jw44 welcome to the forum.

I suffer from the same issue regarding eyesight. Besides my scoped slug gun, I stayed away from shotguns for years because of it. I made up mind last summer to learn to shoot left handed. I've had no issues with the ejecting shell from either my 870 or 1100 messing with my vision. About all I really think would be handy is a left handed safety if you use it for hunting. On the range, it doesnt much matter as the gun is empty until it is your turn to shoot.

I don't have any experience with the model 37, but I have shot the Browning BPS, which is also bottom loading. The Browning's are nice guns, but I prefer the side ejecting guns. I was glad I was able to borrow one at the range to try before I spent money on one.
Old February 9, 2009, 06:58 PM   #3
perazzimx14

Remington 870 is or was made in a left handed version.
Old February 9, 2009, 07:26 PM   #4
BigJimP

I would recommend you stay with a gun like Browning BPS that has safety mounted on top / with bottom eject or go to a left handed 870. Remington made the 870 and the 1100 semi-auto in left handed versions ( I don't know if they're still available or not in their catalog ).

I differentiate between a "Defensive" weapon and a "Fighting" weapon / and in my mind a standard Browning BPS, with the plug removed is a very good Defensive weapon / but it isn't all tricked out as a "Fighting" weapon - which you may not really need.
Old February 9, 2009, 07:37 PM   #5
oneounceload

As a LH myself, I used to own a 37 that worked well....I use a RH semi and have no issues with empties flying by, so I'm going to assume a pump would be similar
Old February 9, 2009, 07:40 PM   #6
Dresden2001

I would recommend a Benelli M2 Left Handed. I have one and am thrilled with its performance. Not inexpensive, but like most quality arms, will last forever if you take care of it. http://www.gunsamerica.com/903021545...2ga_28_bbl.htm
Old February 9, 2009, 07:45 PM   #7
Old Guard Dog

I am left-handed, and use a Mossberg pump all the time. No problem with the shell ejection. I like its tang mounted safety. I also use a Franchi I-12 semi for small game. No problem with the side ejection on this one either, however, the safety on the trigger guard is awkward for me, especially with gloves. I am going to take it apart some day to see if I can reverse it. The tang safety on the Mossy is best with gloves. Much easier to use, except when you put a pistol-grip type stock on it.
Old February 11, 2009, 09:53 PM   #8
Ron L

My son shoots lefty as well and the Mossberg works just great for his needs. The tang safety made his decision and he's been happy with it so far.

Detroit Area Chapter
Terre-Haute Torque & Recoil Society
"If it rolls, floats, or shoots, runs on gunpowder or gasoline, goes fast, shoots a big bullet, or makes lots of noise thus producing torque and recoil - it's cool."
Old February 12, 2009, 12:07 AM   #9
mukibetser

I have the same problem -- right handed but retina problem in right eye forces me to shoot rifle and shotgun lefthanded. Have not had any problem with my 870 (or mini-14 for that matter) and can generally hit 8/10 targets give or take in casual trap. If buying a high end gun for skeet or trap would want a left hand gun because of the cast of the stock.
Old February 12, 2009, 05:16 AM   #10
Regolith

I'm a lefty and I use a right handed 870. I've never had a problem with ejected shells hitting me. Generally, most right handed guns will eject shells straight out or forward and don't cause too much trouble for lefties. There are exceptions, however the 870 isn't one of them.
Old February 12, 2009, 10:15 AM   #11
Topthis

I can vouch for the 870 as well. I am a lefty shooter and have used the 870 numerous times and have never had a issue with the shells ejecting into my face.
Old February 24, 2009, 04:48 PM   #12
jw44

left handed shooter

thanks guys, for all your input--think I will go with the model 870 tactical with SpecOps stock.
Old February 25, 2009, 11:13 PM   #13
prc77

Jw44
Look into getting a big dome safety for your 870/ with a Specops stock. https://www.vangcomp.com/gun_accessories.html
Old February 26, 2009, 12:21 AM   #14
ammo.crafter

south paw

44, my daughter is a natural leftie and has been shooting an Ithica 37 featherweight 12ga for years without any problem. The bottom eject is just the ticket for you and you won't have to see the hulls fly by your right eye at each shot.
Old February 26, 2009, 02:10 AM   #15
Regolith

Quote:
...and you won't have to see the hulls fly by your right eye at each shot.
I've been shooting right handed guns all my life. I hardly notice the shells being ejected, especially when I'm concentrating on my target. They simply fly by too fast.

Seriously, the 870 is easily runnable by a southpaw. It may take a bit getting used to if you're used to running left handed guns, but there isn't anything about it that makes it particularly difficult to use for a lefty. Left handed versions of the 870 are available, but generally they run $100 or so more and aren't worth it, IMO.

That being said, the Ithaca should be a good gun, and would probably work well for a lefty, but it may not be as inexpensive and is not nearly as customizable as the 870 is.
Old February 26, 2009, 05:02 AM   #16
troy_mclure

i learned to shoot lefty. 10s of thousands of shots from my mossy 500. never had a problem, and the top mounted safety is great.

i can shoot either handed now thanks to the army, but i still prefer that top mounted safety.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."