The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 31, 2006, 03:06 PM   #1
gunovice

Jeans for Pocket Carry

I carry an S&W 642 in my right front pocket along with one speedstrip for reloads. I am looking for some jeans that meet the following requirements:

1) Deep front pockets for the gun;
2) Large (1" x 2") "watch pocket" to accomodate the speedstrip;
3) Bottoned rear pocket to secure my wallet.

Anybody know of any styles of jeans that meet these criteria?
Old August 1, 2006, 12:30 AM   #2
symr00

You may have a hard time finding something with buttoned back pockets. I own several different brands that meet all your requirements except the last one. If you're handy with a needle and thread, you could sew some velcro at the top of the back pocket to keep it sealed.
Old August 1, 2006, 10:04 AM   #3
tegemu

When pocket carrying in jeans, I find that anything in the watch pocket protrudes and hinders the ability to draw the gun.
Old August 1, 2006, 10:40 AM   #4
qwik

harley davidson

jeans are (well made) for the biker, which has most of those features you want. ck it out cost just a little more for a lot more comfort. can be found at any harley dealer

Last edited by qwik; August 1, 2006 at 01:14 PM.
Old August 3, 2006, 01:19 PM   #5
Mannlicher

In most towns, there are alteration shops. Any of them can add larger front pockets, install buttons or flaps and buttons for back pockets, and re arranged the belt loops to accomodate better, the needs of your holsters. These are fairly inexpensive alterations, but provide features on your clothes that you just can't find in the store.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 4, 2006, 01:54 PM   #6
dairycreek

Several years ago I had a friend who was absolutely bonkers with the idea of pocket carrying his S&W Model 60 snubby. So much so that he took a number of his trousers to a local seamstress and had the pockets modified. Made the openings somewhat larger, pockets of heavier material, etc. until he got them the way he liked them. Maybe you should give that stragegy a look so that you get exactlly what you want.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old August 6, 2006, 08:50 PM   #7
Hayley

regarding #1: try-on a pair of Izod jeans sometime (and shift the 642 in the changing room). My 342 conceals very well in the ones I have.
Old August 7, 2006, 06:19 AM   #8
rsmithsss

Maybe you should try Phat Farm or Fubu...

Beretta 92G 9mm
SW1911PD .45
Ruger Security Six 6" .357
Ruger P345 .45ACP
Romanian WASR-10 AK47
Benelli Super Black Eagle 12ga SS
SW LS60 .357
Ruger .22 Race Rifle LE
Kel-Tec P3AT .380
Benelli B76 9mm
Remington 870 Tactical Green
Sig 229SL-no rail
Old August 17, 2006, 08:23 AM   #9
22-rimfire

I picked up a pair of camo cargo pants from JC Penney a while ago. They sell non-camo versions and these should work. Not sure about the watch pocket size though. I like the pants and may buy another pair.

Added: I'm not the kind of person to wear camo pants unless I'm hunting. Bought these on a whim and like them. My 442 fits nicely in the Levi 550 jeans pocket with a Uncle Mikes pocket holster which further hides any printing. I'm not real interested in tight pants any more. Those days are past.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; August 17, 2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old August 17, 2006, 08:33 AM   #10
Dreadnought

Just a friendly tip-
The best place to carry your reloads is on your weak side. Unless you're left-handed, the speedstrip in your watch pocket is going to hinder your reloading because you're having to swap gun hands to pull it out or risk shooting yourself in the leg or other less desirable areas...
Old August 17, 2006, 10:08 PM   #11
silicon wolverine

Rystler jeans have very deep front pockets and you can add a snap in the back easily. Id also reccomend keeping your speed strip in the offhand pocket. Its very easy tyo lose things out of the watch pocket bending over, moving around, etc.

SW