The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 16, 1999, 01:40 AM   #26
Wallew

Mossy 590 Marine. It's the SS version.
Drop the shotgun issue with your wife. Do yourself and her a favor. Get her started with a .22LR bolt action rifle. At 5' 3" you might find that a Junior will fit her. Don't push the shotgun on her. You two just go to the range. You shoot shotgun and let her rip away with the .22. I have yet to meet a shooter that curiosity doesn't eventually win out and request a 'turn with that one'. When she's ready, she will let you know. In the mean time, let her protect herself with her pistol (practice, practice, practice). I learned this lesson the hard way with my wife (5'4"). Tried to start her with .357 (my macho gun at time). She shot it once, put it down, didn't talk to me for the rest of the day. When we tried again, several months later (she refused to go back for a long while), we tried .22LR. She found enjoyment in a sport we take for granted. She now is the proud owner (she picked it out) of a Taurus .357 4" ported, that she keeps in the headboard loaded with .38's. She can shoot rings around most men. 6 out of 6 in the 10 ring consistently. Pity the fool that forces her hand. Don't forget that most men grew up surrounded by 'gun culture' while women were not. Would you put a 12 ga shotgun in a 10/13 year old boy's hand and tell him 'take it like a man'? Don't do it to your wife either. I started my journey in gun culture with a BB gun at age 6. How about you?
Old October 17, 1999, 12:39 AM   #27
Swissrose

Pipper-
If you would like to start your wife on a shotgun, I would recommend the Winchester 1300 Lady Defender, 20 ga, with an 18" barrel. I am a woman, 5'6" and small build, and I love this gun! For you it may be too small, I think, having heard guys at the range refer to it as a "baby gun". For small women, however, it is perfect. I am practicing with it very often, with light loads, such as # 8 and #6 birdshot, and the recoil is minimal. Your wife may also want to shorten the stock, as I did (by 2 inches). My instructor and friends tell me that these light loads may not do sufficient damage for self-defense purposes, so I did buy some #2 buck and even a few slugs which I will try next. But my purpose was to get comfortable with my gun and I am getting there. If the heavy shells hurt me too much I'll stick with the light loads. BTW, I much prefer my shotgun to the revolvers (38 special)I shot, it seems easier on my system and my hands and joints don't hurt. I am really still new to shotguns but since you are concerned about your wife, I figured I contribute my little bit of experience!