The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 27, 2011, 02:57 PM   #51
FX4

The same gun I have shot upland game for 32 years. The Remington 870 Wingmaster my Dad got me for Christmas when I was sixteen. This is my trusty proven field gun and it probably will be until the day I kick the bucket.
Old October 27, 2011, 06:59 PM   #52
Marquezj16

Uh ripnbst, check three post above ya. lol
Old October 31, 2011, 10:17 PM   #53
doceaux

upland shotgun

Ruger Red Label 12ga, Browning Gold Hunter 12ga and lots of choke tubes
Old October 31, 2011, 11:51 PM   #54
Doug S

I guess I'm the peasant of the bunch...I just bought an H&R Pardner single shot 20 guage for the purpose. Before that I used a Sears brand 20 guage single shot I got in 1983. That one has since been passed down to my son, which is why I had to buy the H&R. For some reason, I like a good old single shot when out in the woods. I guess that's what I'm used to.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old November 1, 2011, 02:46 PM   #55
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I like the old singles too, but mine is lent out to a 10 year old for the duration.
Old November 1, 2011, 06:20 PM   #56
Doug S

Quote:
I like the old singles too, but mine is lent out to a 10 year old for the duration.
And, I bet you that 10 year old is thrilled with it. I remember very well my first time deer hunting, using a friends 12 guage single shot.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old November 1, 2011, 10:04 PM   #57
gitarmac

I just got a benelli for bunny squirrel and hopefully dove. Since most of my upland hunting consists of squirrels, it's been a .22 in the past, sometimes a 12 guage mossberg.
Old November 2, 2011, 12:35 AM   #58
ipscchef

Very funny, not HaHa funny, but coincidental

funny you should ask, Dave.
I was just replying to the thread posted above from the gentleman who just bought a shotgun off of Gunbroker and one barrel was bulged.

My Upland Gun is a very fine Baretta BL-3 20ga. I bought it in 1992 at the Outdoorsman in Santa Fe New Mexico for $250. It is the best $250 I have ever spent on a shotgun. The wood is amazing, it fits me like it was made for me, and it makes me look like a really good shot at the Clays range I go to, LOL! I would not trade my Little Girl for all the Beans in Chile, nor all the Tea in China, nor all the..... well you get the idea.

I cannot begin to count all of the Scalies and California Quails, amongst others that it has taken in Southern Az. and NM, not to mention the Dove, Quails, Grouse, and Pheasants here in Pa. and Md.. And Wabbits, SHHH, be vewy quite!!, I'm hunting Wabbits!
Her and I are going out with the dog here on the farm tomorow for Pheasants, The Pa. Game Commision was kind enough to stock a bunch of them in the Game Lands just down the road and they are all over my property! Ain't life a beach? LOL!!

My other Upland Gun, well sort of, is a great old 1950's Browning A-5, 12 ga. made by that fella who kind of had a little knowlege about guns, and she is a Grand Gal as well, but we usualy go after waterfowl together. As a matter of fact we will be shooting Ducks and Geese later this year down on the Eastern Shore of Md.

My first Upland Gun was an old Savage model 24 with a .22lr. above a .410bbl.. It was one of the old models that had the barrels sodered together like they were one piece, that was an excellent gun for an 8 year old, for this 8 year old anyway!!

If I was only allowed to hunt for one type of game, it would be Upland game, and no matter how many Shotguns I was allowed to use, it would be my little darlin' Beretta BL-3! If you ever have a chance to, I highly recommend you buy one of these little sweetie pies, you will never regret it!!

BTW; DougS, nonsense, I had an H&R Topper 12ga. for years and you are right, they just seem to be natural and at home in the woods. Great gun!! Mine is also with a nephew "For the Duration" and he would not part with it for all the Beans,.... nevermind!LOL

Last edited by ipscchef; November 2, 2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old November 2, 2011, 12:52 AM   #59
ipscchef

Is anyone familiar with the old

Ithica 37 English Ultralight 20ga.?
they had straight stocks- no pistol grip, and weighed under 5 pounds. If anyone has one they want to sell, I'm buyin'!!
Old November 2, 2011, 10:22 AM   #60
jaguarxk120

Ithaca will build you a ultralight if you want in 12 or 20 gauge. Be well advised that the Ithaca's don't come cheap, their well made and all machined so the prices are about $960.
Old November 2, 2011, 10:30 AM   #61
ammo.crafter

shotty

My go to is a Rermington G-3 (1100) in 20ga c/ 28" barrel and IC choke.
Carrying various ammo, makes this semi-auto very versitile.
Remmys just seem to fit me very well off the rack.
Old November 2, 2011, 10:38 AM   #62
meatgrinder42

My 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge 30'' barrel full choke (interchangeable but the full rarely leaves the barrel, exception being goose season) has killed many Pheasants in it's 12 year service life with me. Never going to get rid of it.
Old November 2, 2011, 01:48 PM   #63
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Doug, his family has lots of shotguns, just none he can handle yet. There's a BPS, a 3901, an Express, and maybe 3 O/Us, a Franchi and a couple 686 Berettas.

He can use that one until he's ready to move up.
Old November 5, 2011, 09:09 PM   #64
12-34hom

Remington model 1100 - 410.

12-34hom
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old November 6, 2011, 10:34 AM   #65
Flapjack23

I normally shoot my Benelli Nova pump gun for all birds and small game. Due to some saving and horse trading with the Mrs., my b-day/x-mas gift from her and the kids is a Citori White Lightning. As soon as possible the upland bird functions will transfer to the Citori

Andy
Old November 6, 2011, 10:44 AM   #66
Doug S

Quote:
BTW; DougS, nonsense, I had an H&R Topper 12ga. for years and you are right, they just seem to be natural and at home in the woods. Great gun!!
Agreed, I wouldn't have it any other way.

This has been a fun thread to read...good posts.

Went out in the woods yesterday with the H&R, and it put some squirrel in the skillet last night. My son enjoyed it very much.
Old November 18, 2011, 04:06 PM   #67
dgludwig

An "upland" gun to me translates into a grouse/woodcock piece. Back in 1961, I bought a new Browning Double-Auto (DA), chambered as all of them were in 12 gauge, with a modified choke. During the following fifty years, this is the gun I used when hunting grouse and woodcock in the coverts of upper Michigan, western Pa and southern Ohio.
About ten years ago, I acquired a petite Merkel model 147EL, 3-inch chambered, 20 gauge, side-by-side, choked improved cylinder and modified, weighing less than six pounds. This is the gun I now use most often when going for ruffed grouse (called "pats" in Michigan) and woodcock. However, on occasion, I still hunt with the Browning DA and, a couple of years ago, it was with this gun that I scored my first "double" on grouse while hunting in Michigan.
I'm of the opinion that the Val Browning, short-recoil designed Browning DA is the best handling, nicest looking "repeating" shotgun ever made. They initially came in different colored receivers, only held two rounds and were never very popular-discontinued in the early seventies; you can still find them in gun shows at reasonable prices. A better upland shotgun has never been made.
Old November 18, 2011, 04:23 PM   #68
efield

I see this post started back in October and is still going so I just have to chime in and say that I started hunting quail and dove with a Remington Model 11 in 20 gauge when I was 13. My Dad and Uncle used Browning Auto 5's in 12 gauge. Now, 40+ years later my Dad and Uncle have passed and I'm still shooting my Dad's Auto 5's. My grandson started hunting with me this year using the same Model 11 that I started with.
Old November 18, 2011, 07:53 PM   #69
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Singles, side by sides, autos light ahd heavy.

Obviously, there's lots of good uplanders.

I may take the SKB out tomorrow for dove, just for fun....
Old November 19, 2011, 06:33 PM   #70
LSnSC

1100 LT-20. It was my first "real" shotgun.
Old November 19, 2011, 06:48 PM   #71
Doug S

This thread needs some pictures...

Here's my recently purchased 20 guage Pardner. We had a good day out in the woods today.
Old November 19, 2011, 08:28 PM   #72
ISP 5353

Either my Remington 1100 or Ruger Red Label. Both in 12ga.