The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 11, 2000, 09:11 AM   #1
David Blinder

Last night, my wife & I were out walking one of our dogs when a neighbors dog (rotweiller/mutt) busted out from his fence and came straight at us in a definate attack mode. I was carrying a Surefire 8Z (like a 9P but rechargeable) and beamed him. He immediately changed course and ran head first into a mailbox. Last I saw, he was headed home, whimpering with tail between his legs and somewhat shorter than when he started. Don't know if it works all the time but I was pleased with last nights result.
Old December 11, 2000, 11:49 AM   #2
Betty

Ha ha!
That's why I'm glad I tote a baton. I'm worried about bullets ricocheting against pavement, especially at the downward angle against a dog. Unfortunately, that means the dog has to be pretty close to get whacked!
Old December 11, 2000, 04:40 PM   #3
twist996

my sister's neighbor has a huge great dane, that loves to chase thir truck...dog is smart enoough to avoid the tires when the swerve, so they swerve him into the mailbox...big jack ass has mowed the entire box down once, and has had several close calls....still hasn' learned it's lesson...
Old December 13, 2000, 03:22 AM   #4
therealkaos

why are dog owners not held to the same legal standard as gun owners? in the nieghborhood i lived in before, every one seemed to have a large agressive dog that was set loose at sunrise every day just as i was out jogging. when all other measures to encourage compiance with the leash laws failed, i resorted to a hamburger paced in a bowl of anti-freeze. that usually elimates the loose dogs in the nieghborhood. bye bye fido
Old December 13, 2000, 03:32 AM   #5
boing

Quote:
...when all other measures to encourage compliance with the leash laws failed...
What were the measures you undertook?
Old December 13, 2000, 06:27 AM   #6
MTAA

"i resorted to a hamburger paced in a bowl of anti-freeze. that usually elimates the loose dogs in the nieghborhood. bye bye fido"

Ah, warms my heart to know this guy owns a gun....Do the rest of us a favor and drink a bowl of antifreeze yourself before you do anything else equally as stupid.

Old December 13, 2000, 11:38 AM   #7
sigmund

MTAA

We at the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Dumbf*cks protest your suggestion regarding human consumption of antifreeze. The intended subject obviously lacks the mental capability to reject your suggestion as potentially harmfull, and may in fact ingest such antifreeze based on your wise advice. If he does, you will be hearing from our attorneys, who are now unemployed since they lost the Gore appeal in Florida.

By the way, the subject of your cruel suggestion lists his interests in his profile as including "shootong". As you may know, Shootong is an obscure eastern philosophy which believes that you should kill any four-legged animal that is smarter than you.
Old December 13, 2000, 11:51 AM   #8
David Blinder

Guys, how about we don't let this deteriorate into a pissing match. I posted this originally because I thought someone might be interested in a "real life" use of a "tactical light", not because I wanted to start a fight between the Humane Society & Dog Hunters of America.
Old December 13, 2000, 02:57 PM   #9
Cheapo

Bravo on the creative use of the chemical-powered photon weapon!

re: Dogs. I've fled for my hide enough times to now believe that:

When nice requests fail...

When firm demands fail...

When local government fails...

The self-help approach is perfectly valid. Start with irritants and escalate the pain level. If the dog fails to learn and continues to attack you in a place where you have a right to be,

eliminate the nuisance.
Old December 13, 2000, 05:24 PM   #10
Gino

While I don't condone the method that therealkaos used, I think you guys are being unfairly rough on him. If there is a dangerous dog loose, I consider it to be the most dangerous of weapons. If a large, agressive dog were to attack each of us here, I'd expect that half of us would be seriously injured. And that's taking into account that many of us CCW. How many of you want to have a serious scar/injury because some idiot didn't control his Rott/Pitt/whatever? How many of you have small children? Are you saying that you would not take extreme measures to protect them?

Granted, the owner was at fault, but the dog is the immediate problem. Many/most places I've lived did not have appropriate government agencies to control the dog population. Ever try to get the police or animal control out to get a loose dog? I have and they didn't do the job. Unfortunately, I carry as much to protect me/mine from dog attacks as I do for defense against two legged predators...

Hey blunder, thanks for the post. I always carry my 6P when I walk at night. Nice to know it might just work if I need it. I figure it's going to be:
1) Surefire (if it is some distance away)
2) Pepper Spray (if it isn't advancing too fast)
3) G26 (unfortunately the smart move to do as soon as possible)
Hopefully I'll never have to...
Old December 14, 2000, 12:57 AM   #11
boing

This is why I asked what was done to address the problem. In my experience, if you get bitten by a dog, the fault lies with the owner (primarily), or you. The dog itself is usually least at fault. I've had encounters with many aggressive dogs, and the few that were menacing enough to worry about needed but one squirt of OC to learn a long-term lesson in respect.

On the other hand, fault or not, if there's a legitimate threat, your safety takes precedence.

What I take issue with is the indiscriminate method of setting out poison, which doesn't differentiate between truly threatening animals, and the unfortunate pet who happens along.
Old December 14, 2000, 07:36 AM   #12
David Blinder

Just for grins, I clocked one of my dogs and it was able to cover 20 feet (Tueller drill) in about 4/10 second. Factoring in the avg .25 second avg reaction time, I kind of doubt any of us have the .15 second draw needed to even get a shot off at an attacking dog but that presumes a total suprise attack. Seems like the best strategy is to have a method of instant defense (stick, surefire,etc.)
Old December 14, 2000, 04:25 PM   #13
nbk2000

I have to agree with therealkaos. I've had the pleasant (sarcasm) experience of living in a place that was known to the local PD as "felony forest" because of all the parolees and dope fiends there.

The "locals" loved letting the rotts and pits run around loose and fighting them. I was attacked twice while coming home by loose dogs. Evaded one, was almost bit by the other before I gutted it with my folder and dragged it's body off into the woods.

After that I pre-emptively eliminated the problem by leaving poisoned burgers and hotdogs out for the mutts. After a couple of them died the 2 legged vermin kept the mutts locked up.

As for an innocent "pet" getting poisoned, if the owner lets his dog run unleashed then he doesn't care what happens to it (cars for instance) and ANY dog of ANY species can attack, especially children. Children are the most likely to be attacked since they'll run from an aggressive dog screaming which triggers the dogs "chase prey" instinct.
Old December 14, 2000, 05:39 PM   #14
Bogie

Thing is, death by antifreeze is not a nice way to go. There's other ways of dealing with strays. Such as pestering the authorities.

But hey - When I was a kid, we'd ride our bikes past this one farm (it was on the way to the river/fishin' spot), and the owner had several dogs who would attack and bite kids on bikes. Until one day when I went whizzin' past and polo'd one of 'em with a 2' piece of pipe. It lived, but didn't move quite the same after that...