The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 29, 1999, 12:12 PM   #1
LoneStar

My Great-Uncle left me an L.C. Smith 20 guage side-by-side. Markings on the gun are "L.C. Smith Ideal Grade" on the right barrel, and "HUNTER ARMS CO. INC. MFR'S FULTON, NY,U.S.A.". The serial number on the gun is Fw E1928xx, with an I stamped below it. How old is this gun, and what is it's approximate value? Any other info would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
-L
Old August 29, 1999, 12:57 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

LoneStar:
My Records indicate that your model L.C, Smith, was one of the later production hammerless shotguns, mfg'd in Fulton NY between 1914 and 1951. The finishes were case hardened or blued with walnut checkered stocks and forearm. Stocks were either semi-pistol grip or pistol grip configurations. The various models differ as to the degree of ornamentation and the quality of materials and workmanship.

Current values on these shotguns:

Excellant=$1,500.00 Poor=$450.00
Old August 30, 1999, 01:09 PM   #3
LoneStar

Is there any way to determine what year the gun was made? Could/would the 1928 in the serial number indicate the year of manufacture?

The butt-pad has a logo(I forget what company) with a "Pat. 1916" on it, so it had to have been made after that.

Again, thanks for your time!
-L
Old August 30, 1999, 03:03 PM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Lone Star:
Regrets; I don't have the serialization on the L.C. Possibly someone on the forum may have more knowledge than I.

HJN