The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 29, 2009, 04:34 PM   #1
David Wile

LNL AP Case Activated Powder Dispenser Possible Problem With Consistent Drops

Hey folks,

This thread is intended for those folks who use an LNL AP with the Hornady case activated powder dispenser and are having problems getting consistent powder drops. I do not use extruded powders in mine, but I do get good consistent drops with both ball and flake powders. For those having problems with consistent drops with ball and flake powders, I can suggest that one potential problem that might be overlooked by many may be with the adjustment of powder dispenser linkage.

When setting the case activated dispenser for a particular caliber, I will assume you know about selecting the correct length powder drop and that you know the powder drop must be installed with the correct end (long taper) up. Then we need to adjust the linkage to make the handle on the rotor move up and down when the press handle is moved down and up.

What some folks may miss is that the adjustable metering plunger assembly in the powder rotor must travel virtually the full length of slot opening in the dispenser body to achieve consistent drops. If you remove the upper dispenser assembly from the lower assembly, then unscrew the drop tube that slides in the lower assembly, you will be able to see the actual meter plunger at both the top and the bottom, depending on whether the adjustable meter plunger is rotated up or down.

With the plunger in the full up position, look at the bottom of the dispenser, and you should see the opening of the adjustable plunger very close to the edge of the bottom opening. If you happen to move the plunger just a little bit below its full up position, the opening of the plunger will begin to be covered by the dispenser body itself, and the powder contained in the adjustable plunger opening will get blocked on its drop.

Now move the plunger to its full down position, and you will notice the opening of the plunger is again right at the edge of the dispenser body. If the travel of the plunger arm and rotor does not go all the way to the bottom of the slot, the plunger cavity will not fill with powder all the way.

Therefore, when adjusting your powder dispenser, make sure your final adjustment insures the complete travel of the plunger from bottom to top when a case activates the linkage mechanism. If the plunger does not travel all the way to the top of the slide opening and back down to the bottom of the slide opening on each operation of the case activated linkage, the powder plunger may not completely fill with powder when it is up, and it may not drop all of its powder when it travels back down to the case.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old December 29, 2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Rod38um

Good point! Lack of complete dis-assembly and cleaning with something like "one shot" is a culprit also. You have to get the grease out before filling with powder. There have been several posts from new LNL AP owners lately with this problem.