The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 22, 2013, 11:10 AM   #1
JN01

Lyman GP Pistol weight

Anybody know what a .50 caliber Lyman Great Plains Pistol weighs?
Old March 23, 2013, 12:25 AM   #2
Captainkirk

3.1 lbs
Old March 23, 2013, 07:18 PM   #3
JN01

Thanks.
Old March 23, 2013, 10:49 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

Captainkirk . . . since you know what one weighs . . . I'm assuming that you have one? If so . . . could you give a little review of it . . . how you like it . . . how it shoots . . . what you're using for a load and ball size? What distances you are shooting at and how you feel the accuracy is?

I've looked at these off and on and they look like they might be a fun single shot. I'd be looking at the 50 caliber version.

If you have one, your thoughts would be appreciated . . . thanks!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 24, 2013, 12:26 AM   #5
Captainkirk

I took the weight off the Lyman website......

But yeah, I do have one. .50 cal.
How do I like it?
VERY, very much!
I shoot .490 RB with .015 patches, a really tight fit. I tried .495's and was afraid I was gonna bust my short starter! It shot OK, but I've read of a few complaints of cracked stocks at the bend in the .54 cal versions...the consensus was that it was not from the bore size, but rather the extra force required to start the .54 RB on a stand. I concur. Which is why I stick with the .490
I use 35gr of Pyrodex P and a Remington #11 cap for my most accurate load...and at 25 yards it's a tack-driver. Very pleased with the performance.
The gun actually looks more pleasing in person than in photos and is well-built. Trigger is nothing to write home about, but doesn't bother me. It also comes with a handy belt clip (which I removed for bench shooting, but still a nice touch!)
Would I buy another one? In a heartbeat!

Bottom view:

Top view:

Business end:

Lock view:
Old March 24, 2013, 01:02 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Thanks Captain for the nice write up - greatly appreciate it. I once had a custom .54 Hawken rifle that I built - it was a great shooting rifle and hard hitting. While I liked the .54 in a rifle . . . I'm kind of thinking the .50 would be better the best way to go . . . a good all around caliber anyways. Thanks again - you've whet my appetite!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 25, 2013, 11:16 PM   #7
Captainkirk

Glad to help.
Sort of bought that on an impulse, but glad I did.
It's a lot slower than torching off one of my many BP revolvers, but something very deliberate & satisfying about it all.
I think the .50 is probably the way to go, unless you already owned a .54 or have the moulds. You might have better luck with a .495 if you reduced the patch thickness down to .010 or less, but I have a set of .490 moulds anyway. My Lyman Trade rifle (also in .50) ironically prefers the .495 RB over the .490 so now I have to buy a mould for it.
Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!