The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 2, 2013, 07:49 PM   #1
militant

Fire Starfire 9mm

I am getting one of these friday for a deal. I can't find much info on them. Any real life experience with them anyone?
Old January 2, 2013, 07:56 PM   #2
dahermit

I had one at one time (9mm Star Firestar). I also added a couple of more factory magazines for it when I had it. It was a solid little gun. A little heavy for its small size due to the all-steel, no alloy or plastic construction. It was typical of miniaturized single action auto. I really liked mine. It never caused a bit of problems. Was 100% reliable. The only problem with them is that you may not be able to find any spare parts should you need them inasmuch as Star went out of business. They were a well-made little gun. Made in Spain.
Old January 2, 2013, 07:57 PM   #3
lockedcj7

I had a .40 and it was a great gun. Heavy for its size but very well made. If the price was right, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:01 PM   #4
hodaka

I had a Starvel .45. I gave it to a friend. I really liked it and will buy another one day. The only complaint I had was that the safety slipped off very easily.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Walt Sherrill

Fine guns, with some parts availability becoming a problem. (There are sources in Spain, where small shops make a living by supplying hard-to-find parts.)

I've had several, but the Firestar Plus remains my favorite -- it was a compact double-stack alloy-framed version of the heavier steel single-stack guns.

The steel models are heavy: the joke at the range where I shot was, "...if you run out of ammo, just drop the gun on the bad guy's foot, and you'll put him out of action."

Unlike with some Spanish-made guns, I've never heard bad things about Star quality control -- they are well made from good materials.

Here are two good links. The first is a wonderful source of general information.

http://star-firearms.com/firearms/gu...ar/index.shtml

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...&s=&daysprune=
Old January 2, 2013, 08:20 PM   #6
armoredman

I had two Firestars over the years, damn fine guns. I hope you enjoy yours!
Old January 2, 2013, 08:26 PM   #7
militant

Mine is a double stack 13 round I believe.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

Star Starfire? .380
Star Firestar? Small framed all steel single action autos.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:54 PM   #9
Walt Sherrill

In addition to .380 and 9mms, Star also made .40s, and .45s. (They had some polymer-framed guns, too. Almost picked up one of them, called a Megastar.)

Militant: if yours is double-stack, it may be a Firestar Plus. Check the first link, above, and look at the various models. CDNN had some magazines for the Firestar Plus. (There are .40 mags, but I never actually saw a Firestar Plus in .40 -- don't think they imported many to the U.S. The mags will work in the 9mm, I think.)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 2, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:15 PM   #10
militant

I can't wait to shoot it.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:16 PM   #11
Hogeman

I have one and use it as a second back up in my house. Really like this gun and find it to be guite accurate.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:21 PM   #12
militant

Is it plus p rated?
Old January 2, 2013, 09:59 PM   #13
Officer's Match

My brother has had one for years, in Starvel finish. Nice gun.
Old January 2, 2013, 11:02 PM   #14
carguychris

Perhaps we should repeat Bill DeShivs' question. Is the gun a Firestar or a Starfire?

As previously mentioned, the Firestar moniker was used on two Star pistols: the all-steel single-stack Model 43 Firestar and the alloy-frame double-stack Model 243 Firestar Plus.

The Starfire name was primarily used on some versions of the Star Model DK, a subcompact alloy-frame .380 single-stack pistol that served as the template for the Colt Mustang and, by extension, the SIG P238. However, some variants of the Star Model 30- a large double-stack DA/SA 9mm- were supposedly also marked "Starfire".

I would not use .380ACP+P in a Star DK. This is over-pressure extra-hot "boutique" ammo that is loaded in excess of industry standards. A hard-to-find vintage alloy-frame pistol is exactly the type of gun in which I would NEVER use this type of ammo!

If it's a Model 30, I don't know if it's officially +P rated, but I would consider the pistol to be unofficially +P rated as it is arguably the most overbuilt and ridiculously tough all-metal 9mm pistol this side of a SIG P226 or a S&W Model 5906. The pistol is likely to wear YOU out before you wear IT out.

As for the Firestar, I'm not so sure; anyone else care to chime in?
Old January 2, 2013, 11:10 PM   #15
blackamos

I had the all steal .45 Star. A small package that always shot great. The only reason I don't have it any more is my younger brother like it so we made a trade. He still has it and I get to shoot it a few times a year. I think you will love yours.
Old January 3, 2013, 12:07 AM   #16
Brian48

Really wanted one of these back in the day. Despite the weight, they were the smallest guns that fired a full power cartridge like the 9mm at the time. Was just about to get one when the Kahr K9 came out and I wounded up going for that. Of course, these heavy little guns pretty much went out of vogue when the really compact and light weight guns like the Glock 26 came out.

Still wouldn't mind getting one today.
Old January 3, 2013, 01:06 AM   #17
blackamos

My old Star .45 was no pocket gun but road great on the hip. Size is great weight is high but the way it shot made up for it. A gun smaller than the Glock 36 I carry now buy weight is the same as the 30. My brother still likes the one he got from me. Not the best looking gun around but when it matters and your shooting the Star holds it's own.
Old January 3, 2013, 01:56 AM   #18
Mosin44az

Had a .45 Firestar. Fun to shoot, accurate, wish they were still available, except with better metal.

The metal in mine was soft. DON'T SHOOT +P OUT OF IT or you will damage it quickly. This was certainly true for my .45. Peened the slide and frame quickly with +P. Maybe in smaller calibers it doesn't matter so much, but why risk it?
Old January 3, 2013, 09:32 AM   #19
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Perhaps we should repeat Bill DeShivs' question. Is the gun a Firestar or a Starfire?
The original caption/title that opened the discussion said Star Firestarm 9mm...
Old January 3, 2013, 12:08 PM   #20
militant

^^this is your answer.
Old January 3, 2013, 12:09 PM   #21
Mystro

I have had a Firestar 9mm for a long long time. I keep it around because it is very accurate, heavy, and designed for 1911 fans. Its heavy to carry for its size and doesnt hold a lot of rounds but it is very accurate. Its my car gun.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old January 3, 2013, 12:28 PM   #22
Dashunde

Quote:
^^this is your answer.
Ah.. is this the gun your talking about?
If so, mine developed a crack in the frame running only range/fmj ammo... Its safe to say I'm no fan of that heavy little pile.
Old January 3, 2013, 01:00 PM   #23
Skans

I have a Star Megastar 45 with Starvel finish. It is a double-stack .45ACP, but essentially just a bigger version of the Firestar.

It is a heavy, robust, over-engineered pistol. I doubt that it would ever suffer a catastrophic failure. The Starvel finish is a very durable hard chrome.

I've heard the guns are made from forgings, but I've never been able to verify this - they look like they are cast to me, since I can see casting marks. In any event, the gun is rock solid, but finishing is not the finest. My Megastar is accurate and reliable. It is also a bit too big for my hands. It weighs about 1.5 times more than it should, and isn't that much smaller than my Desert Eagle 44 magnum.
Old January 3, 2013, 01:58 PM   #24
militant

Mine is the Starfire Plus. I have read around more on the gun now and parts rarity and your claim of a cracked frame seem to be the only negatives. I still look forward to getting mine.
Old January 3, 2013, 02:02 PM   #25
Walt Sherrill

Re part shortages: all I've heard about are no more extractors for the .40 single stacks Starfires. They're pretty durable weapons, and I've never heard of a frame problem.

I think parts, even rare ones, can be found -- but you may have to go to Spain (via the internet) to find them.

Skans...

I think you'll find that the Starvel finish is Star's proprietary Electroless Nickel finish-- a chemically-applied plating that is a thinner, harder, more durable finish than the standard electrically-applied nickel finish, but arguably NOT as durable as hard chrome (which often has a copper or nickel base, too.) Hard chrome, I'm told, will chip more easily than electroless nickel, however.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 3, 2013 at 02:45 PM.