The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old January 15, 2009, 10:12 PM   #1
ws6tester

Serial coded bullets are coming for some of you.

This is my first post, but it is an important one. I urge all of you who read this to spread word to all other enthusiasts to research the subject of Ammunition Accountability being proposed by other states. I am law abiding and don't have a worry about my ammo serial coded if I fire it, but I have a problem with having to destroy my existing ammo and the sure-to-follow legislation picking our interests apart. The law enforcement benefits are obviously immeasurable but what about when your taxed, serial numbered ammo is stolen? Police reports and paperwork, and hassle. No more trading or loaning ammo to your friends or neighbors without somehow opening yourself up to some small vulnerability. How many unsavory characters are going to destroy their uncoded ammo that will obviously be in their best interest to keep close to their cold hearts. We will self-inhibit and empower them simultaneously. I realize I am sounding very panicky but it is a thought provoking matter. Eventually the dumbest bad guys will get rounded up but the years between will be tough.
Old January 15, 2009, 10:17 PM   #2
Webleymkv

The usefulness of encoded ammunition to police is questionable at best. Several states have so-called "ballistic fingerprint" databases that require a fired bullet from every gun sold in that state and such programs have shown to be woefully ineffective and only pass on unnecessary cost to law-abiding gun owners. Encoded ammo would drastically increase the prices of ammunition and, depending on the wording of the law, ban reloading. Thankfully, the majority of these bills have died in committee.
Old January 15, 2009, 10:22 PM   #3
Wildalaska

Not again:barf:

WildhaventwehadenoughofthisAlaska TM
Old January 15, 2009, 11:19 PM   #4
Don H

WA, it takes too much effort to look around before posting - that's the only explanation I can think of for the 20 or so threads being started by people who think they're the first ones to discover this issue.
Old January 16, 2009, 12:23 AM   #5
hillbillyshooter

This just keeps going and going and going. Not going to happen. If it does its not being presented in my state right now.
Old January 16, 2009, 12:27 AM   #6
rjrivero

That about sums it up.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
From a friend of mine on another forum.
Old January 16, 2009, 12:54 AM   #7
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes I just keep repeating myself.

Duplicate topic. Open thread here.

Closed.