The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 5, 2012, 10:34 AM   #1
bitttorrrent

Glock Build?

So I had my brand new G17(gen4) out and was shooting alongside my Caracal F and I determined that the stock trigger in the Glock is not as good as the Caracal.

Mind you that these are just stock. Also I noticed the slide stop was a little hard to find with my large hands and the mag release was not long enough...etc.

So instead of adding all these replacement parts to the Glock, I was thinking of just building up a new one. Now before a get a list of the costs like i have seen before that shows that it is more money, this would be a little different.

I have plenty of parts already, including an extra barrel and mags etc. So the slide and frame of course are the highest costs. Most of the rest of the parts
extended slide release
custom slide back piece
extended mag release
extended takedown lever
ghost trigger assembly

I will get on ebay or have already and these would be purchased even if I purchased a new Glock. I don't want a used Glock.

So, has anyone done this recently? I love doing this type of thing and it turns you into an expert on the function of the gun/item. I did this with a build on a road bike for my triathalon. It took a while, but I purchased a bare frame and built up with some parts I had and some purchased on ebay. Did have it tuned at a bike shop after cables installed, but runs like a dream. This is a 3,000.00 bike that cost me half and now I instantly know what is going on when on the road since it was me who installed the componants.

So, with a few hundreds of dollars and some spare parts, I will end up with a fully custom Glock 21 (im thinking at the moment) or G34 but will cost a little more because of barrel.

One off hand question. If you get a threaded barrel, will this increase accuracy alone because of the slightly longer barrel or is it the whole slide and barrel - sight line (G34) vs (G17) that improves accuracy?

That is what I want in the end, a smoother and more accurate Glock where once there was a pile of parts, a lone wolf barrel and bullets that we are fit testing through it on the desk next to the reloader with empty brass and Dillon tools laying around.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Gaerek

Theoretically you'll be more accurate and have a higher velocity with a threaded barrel, but in practical terms, the difference would likely be negligible. I haven't seen actual numbers before, but that's probably because the difference is so small as to really not matter. If you're doing it for looks or because you plan to buy a comp or suppressor, then it's certainly worth it. But for accuracy alone, I really doubt it's worth the money.

As for your other questions, I don't have experience with any of that, so I can't really help you.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:58 AM   #3
AndyWest

The extra 1/2 inch or whatever from a threaded barrel won't add much to your power or accuracy but it will add about 10% to the coolness factor from the thread protector alone. Especially on a shiny Bar-Sto barrel.
Old December 5, 2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Theohazard

Longer barrels DO NOT necessarily improve accuracy, however they DO usually increase velocity. In fact longer barrels flex more and can LOWER accuracy, but at handgun barrel lengths that's not really an issue; it's more of an issue with rifles (longer-barreled rifles are generally less accurate than shorter-barreled rifles; the longer barrel is used to get more range out of the cartridge, not to improve accuracy). It's the increased sight radius, not the longer barrel, that causes people to shoot longer-barreled guns more accurately than shorter-barreled guns.

And I'd be careful about adding some of those parts you mentioned; you might find out you like them less than the original parts. One of the things I like about the Glock is its small slide stop. I use a thumbs-forward grip and it's less likely to get under my thumb while shooting and cause the slide to not lock open on the last shot. In fact, I wish the slide stop was even smaller. I'm a firm believer in using the slide "slingshot" method instead of the slide stop when reloading, so on most guns all the slide stop does is get in my way when shooting. The only thing I use the slide stop for is to lock the slide open manually when clearing the gun.
Old December 5, 2012, 06:44 PM   #5
oldone

"gunbroker" has what you need. Slide, recivers, triggers and barrels.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:54 PM   #6
bitttorrrent

Thanks for info.

I thought as much about the threaded barrel - cool factor way high - but not much else.

And I did not know about the longer barrel in rifles vs. accuracy - very intersting.

About the parts, I guess I have not tried an extended slide stop, just thought it would be nice since I like extended mag realeases.

Could you clarify the "slingshot" method vs. the slide stop when reloading. You mean pulling back on the slide instead of dropping the slide with the release and having it load?
Old December 5, 2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Theohazard

Yeah, that's exactly what the slingshot method is. The problem with using the slide stop as a slide release is that it's easy to miss it under stress, if your hands are sweaty or greasy, or if you're wearing gloves. Also, every gun is a little bit different so using the slide stop as a release requires a slightly different technique with every gun.

In my opinion the only good slide stops are ones that are small and hard to reach because the shooter is much less likely to accidentally hold it down while shooting and prevent the slide from locking back on the last shot. Or worse, they could accidentally hit it up when shooting and cause the slide to prematurely lock back.

And I was about to suggest you stick with the threaded barrel so you can use a suppressor, but then I saw you live in a state where they aren't legal. Though if you ever plan on moving, keep in mind that they're legal in 39 other states.
Old December 6, 2012, 10:36 AM   #8
bitttorrrent

Yes, I usually use the "sling shot" method just didn't know what it was called. I try the slide stop once or twice at the range just to make sure it works.

I live in Illinois and I guess that throws out my threaded barrel idea! Especially in Chicago, nothing is legal. Not really, but now I can register and keep my handguns legaly in my house and transport to range, but still no way at all to carry. You could not even keep in your house before a few years ago.

Anyway will be moving my main residence to my property in MI in time, so then should not be an issue there.

BTW, just took apart the slide assembly completely for first time. Now I know why I love Glocks. I'll get a punch and do the trigger assembly next. It really helps to know exactly what the "trigger safety lock spring" etc. is and to hold it and see how it fits in. Everyone should do this.
Old December 6, 2012, 07:27 PM   #9
Oceanbob

I've built a couple of Franken-Glocks from Frames;; one a Glock 20 longslide and this one, a Glock 19 for my 14 year old daughter.

Here is the thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=545469
Old December 6, 2012, 11:15 PM   #10
bitttorrrent

Sounds like an awesome build you did for your daughter and the gun looks great.

Were you really shooting into the pond?

Welcome to the FLF and I"ll update my post as I progress although this will be a slow process through the winter. I started my list of items but deciding on a few upgrades or not.

I like how all the little parts come in each package from the glockmeister. I have been on their site and they look good especially the 10% off deal.
Old December 6, 2012, 11:46 PM   #11
Oceanbob

Yes, thanks..my daughter loves that handgun. She's an avid shooter and even helps me reload. As the youngest she's spoiled; her 4 older adult siblings also shoot and reload.

No, we don't shoot the pond.....lol..we belong to an indoor range here in Kalifornistan.

Have fun with the new build.! Post photos later.

My other fun build was a GLOCK 20SF Frame. With a lonewolf 10MM Longslide.

Lots of fun to shoot!

Thanks for the welcome.

Be well
Bob

Old December 7, 2012, 12:03 AM   #12
HALIFAX

Ive always wanted to do my own build but i have a question. How do you get the gun registered? Say i bought a frame and slide from two different manufacturers, how would one make it legal?
Old December 7, 2012, 01:49 AM   #13
Theohazard

It all depends on the state you live in. There is no national gun registration and many states don't have any registration either. As far as federal law is concerned, only the frame is technically a gun; purchase that like you would any other handgun and you're good to go; you can switch out all the other parts as often as you like.
Old December 7, 2012, 09:23 AM   #14
Oceanbob

Quote:
Ive always wanted to do my own build but i have a question. How do you get the gun registered? Say i bought a frame and slide from two different manufacturers, how would one make it legal?
I can't speak for Missouri, but I do know that every State has different laws concerning handgun registration. The FRAME is the gun. Slides, barrels, parts can be bought from various vendors direct and are not numbered or registered. Here in California, we buy a handgun (or Frame) we have to do a DROS (dealer record of sale) and use an FFL for this. A 10 day waiting period as well before we can pick up the gun from the FFL.

Over in Arizona it's a different story. You can meet someone in the Parking Lot at McDonalds, pay cash, shake hands and go home with the gun. No registration at all. Check Missouri's law; buy a Frame and order the parts from anyone you desire.

Be well
Bob
Old December 7, 2012, 11:37 AM   #15
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Yeah, that's exactly what the slingshot method is. The problem with using the slide stop as a slide release is that it's easy to miss it under stress, if your hands are sweaty or greasy, or if you're wearing gloves. Also, every gun is a little bit different so using the slide stop as a release requires a slightly different technique with every gun.
An acquaintance, a pro-shooter and high-level IPSC competitor, has been working as a trainer with Special Ops troops at Ft. Bragg for a number of years. They do a good bit of force-on-force drills using simunition, with both pistols and long guns.

He noted, several years ago, that the U.S. Military had STOPPED teaching the sling-shot method. Far too many stories were coming back from combat zones about soldiers having to rack the slide a second time, one round down, when reloads were performed under fire. It appears that fine motor skills are ALSO required when doing a sling-shot release -- especially when wearing gloves in harsh environments.

The DOD now teaches shooters -- at least in the special ops classes -- to use the slide release. With some guns, using the release can require changing your grip, but using the offhand, using several fingers rather (in a sort of claw) rather than just one finger, makes missing that little lever much less likely, and the same technique works with most weapons. I started doing that some years ago, when I was shooting IDPA regularly, and found that I was just as quick and reliable as before, and didn't have to change my grip. (I've got a number of handguns and only two really allow me to reach the slide release/stop lever without changing my grip.)

One point seldom addressed is that the slingshot method forces you to move the gun much farther off target than when you use the slide release. In competition, this is important -- and a "time" issue. In a real life confrontation, it might also matter a lot.

That said, knowing HOW to do a slingshot release is a normal part of the clearance drill, so it is something you must practice.
Old December 7, 2012, 02:44 PM   #16
Theohazard

I agree that using the slide stop is usually faster, but - for me at least - I've found that the slingshot method is more reliable. I've fumbled way too many times with the slide stop during speed reloads. Also, big, easy-to-use slide stops usually get in the way of my thumbs when shooting, causing me to either lock the slide open prematurely or cause it to not lock open at all.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:18 AM   #17
bitttorrrent

Well I won't get to try the slide stop or sling shot on my "new in my head" Glock.

I am so...mad I guess. I raided my parts bin, including a lone wolf barrel, some small parts and plenty of mags. I thought I was doing good. NO.

I added up what I still need, handfull of smaller parts, slide and frame. It is around 650.00 for a Gen 3 Glock 21 sf. I could get a new Gen 4 G21 for less!

I looked into becoming a Glock armoror to get some of the parts (cant get slide and frame though), but the next class near me is in IN about a year away. The rest in IL are LE only.

So I think that plan would work some day, but not in this case. Maybe after a few more Glocks in the hold and more spare parts?

Someone once said that if you get all the parts for a Corvette and put them together, you have an expensive something that looks like a Corvette, but you sure don't have a Corvette.

Merd. I might just buy the new one and add a few of the parts I want like a Ghost or like 3.5 lb trigger, extended slide and mag release. I thought some of the custom parts were cool like the metal chrome pins, logo slide end cap etc.
Oh well. It was a good idea, but since I cannot hardly find any gen 4 frames and then only in 9mm or compact .45, I will just go with my latter plan and find a good price on a new complete one.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:39 AM   #18
thedudeabides

Sounds like you're better off buying a high end Sig or 1911, given all the money you're spending to get your Glock to function like one. You're just going to wind up with a very expensive Glock. And in the end a Glock is just a tool.
Old December 11, 2012, 09:50 AM   #19
bitttorrrent

yeah, I might just get my Sig p226. Have a few 1911 and do like them, but was aiming for a hi-cap .45 and the 13 round Glock kept coming up - there are some others like FNH and xdm also.

Too many choices. Still will get the gen 4 . 45 and maybe a few springs/trigger parts that are not that much since I have so many mags.